DONE +++ 1:72 A-4LT "Skyhawk", Royal Thai Navy, 1990

Started by Dizzyfugu, May 25, 2020, 11:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 29, 2020, 05:57:46 AM
Quote from: Doug K on May 28, 2020, 10:27:47 AM
Really, really nice. The Skyhawk lends itself to so many great schemes

It certainly does. Must admit I'm sorely tempted to pick an Airfix one up.

Nice one Dizzy  :thumbsup:

Same here, Chris. I don't have a single A-4 kit in the stash... :unsure:
Great work as always, Thomas!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Thank you, too!  :lol:

The new Airfix Skyhawk is a really nice kit, it has an amazing fit: on my build, for instance, I did not need any filler on the wings/fuselage seams! However, it has its quirky, though. For instance, the attachment points to the sprues are surprisingly thick for such a modern mold, and the OOB pilot would - despite a bulge in his butt - not fit into the cockpit (what somehow underlines the cockpit's tightness). It would be great if Airfix would also offer an A-4C/L on this kit's basis.

I've also the plan to build a kind of Super Skyhawk some day soon, on the basis of an Italeri/Tamiya A-4M: a completely revamped version with different wings and engine(s?) as well as a lengthened fuselage. Not certain about its origion or operator - Israel and Singapore are hot candidates, though. It will actually be a re-build of a similar thing that I did maybe 30 years ago, but this build did not survive and also had some other logical flaws (e .g. a narrow Starfighter landing gear that retracted into the lower fuselage).  :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

It looks great Dizzy - nice one.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 02, 2020, 12:48:51 AM
It would be great if Airfix would also offer an A-4C/L on this kit's basis.

Freightdog offer parts to build an A-4C/P, mainly intended to be Argentine, of course.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DogfighterZen

Thanks for the heads up on the Airfix kit, sounds like it's the kit to go for. The Super Skyhawk sounds good, i bet it will be another one of those that should have been.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Well, it is intended as a re-do of a kitbash from the past that disappeared while moving house years ago - but I found evidence/hints in serious literature that a VERY similar Skyhawk proposal from Douglas (with canards, a longer fuselage and wingttip raisl for Sidewinders) was actually on the drawing boards as A-4X - and even intended to be sold to Israel!  :blink:

Mine will certainly differ from that, but it's amazing how close whiffing and reality can be? Maybe Douglas got hands on the lost model...?

Dizzyfugu

And, back to my A-4LT, here's a late benchmark for the paint scheme: a Thai F-5T.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 02, 2020, 07:23:38 AM
Well, it is intended as a re-do of a kitbash from the past that disappeared while moving house years ago - but I found evidence/hints in serious literature that a VERY similar Skyhawk proposal from Douglas (with canards, a longer fuselage and wingttip raisl for Sidewinders) was actually on the drawing boards as A-4X - and even intended to be sold to Israel!  :blink:

Mine will certainly differ from that, but it's amazing how close whiffing and reality can be? Maybe Douglas got hands on the lost model...?

That looks great! I'm just not completely convinced by those forward swept wingtips but still, i like the concept. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
Like someone once said and later Bad Religion used as a chorus line for one of their songs:"Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction."  ;D

comrade harps

Whatever.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

chrisonord

Yet again  Dizzy  makes me  want to take up knitting instead of building models.  ;D
Absolutely  marvellous  build  Dizzy.  :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!