Beaufighter Question...

Started by AeroplaneDriver, June 07, 2020, 09:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

My current build while killing time before the OWGB is a RW Tamiya Beau...I'm fitting it with rockets and have read that rocket armed Beaus had a sheet metal cover fitted over the landing light in the last wing to prevent damage from the rocket exhaust.  I can't see to find a pic of how this should look?  Crude thing riveting on or a formed cover resulting in a near-flush leading edge over the light.  Anyone ever seen this or a reference to this?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

dadlamassu

I have never heard of the cover over the landing light. 

Hoever, in "Bristol Beaufighter" (1994 ISBN 1 85310 122 2) by Victor Bingham on p37 "Just in case the rocket blast on firing should prove a problem to the airframe "blast plating" was fitted under the wings above the rails. Flight tests as well as operational use soon proved this unnecessary."

AeroplaneDriver

Same with the Swordfish I think...they had the same basic plates on the wings but soon found out it wasn't necessary.  I have found some pics of rocket armed Beas that don't seem to have the clear lens on the left wing.  It stands out as not present since it is in one of the black invasion stripes. I'm not going to worry about it and just go with it as Tamiya tell me to unless I find something to contradict it clearly. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

The few photos I found that were clear enough to see also didn't have a lens on the left wing.

The Hurricane IV also had those plates on the wings for the rockets. They appear to be quite hefty when you can see them clearly in photos.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Most Beaufighters had two landing lights in the port wing mounted next to each other,
behind windows they are visible in these two photos of RAAF rocket-armed Beaus.
One with rails, the other has stubs.

The next two are both RAF, both show only a single light with a round lens assembly, both have rails.

NARSES2

Interesting shot of the Beaufighter with stubs. Might make a nice variation on the "norm"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 12, 2020, 12:23:48 AM
Interesting shot of the Beaufighter with stubs. Might make a nice variation on the "norm"

That'll be an Australian built DAP Beaufighter Mk21 which were fitted for 5" HVAR
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 12, 2020, 12:40:32 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 12, 2020, 12:23:48 AM

That'll be an Australian built DAP Beaufighter Mk21 which were fitted for 5" HVAR

Thought as much, but thanks for confirmation. I can't recall seeing a Brit built Beau' with stubs although that doesn't mean there weren't any.

PR19_Kit

Is it correct that the Aussie built Beaus were the only ones with the bulge forward of the windscreen?

There to accommodate the Sperry autopilot IIRC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Yes, as that's the fairing for the Sperry autopilot.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic