The Folland/ Hawker Siddeley/Hindustan Sea Gnat

Started by Glenn Gilbertson, June 09, 2020, 06:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Gilbertson

The Folland/ Hawker Siddeley/Hindustan Sea Gnat
In the late 1950s all naval air arms faced the same problem; combat aircraft were growing faster and more capable, but heavier and more expensive with each generation.
(Figures from www.flugzeuginfo.net):
Grumman F-9 Cougar; entered service 1952:
Speed 613kts; Ceiling 42,000 ft; Range 1,312 mi; Empty wt. 11,865 lbs; max. take-off wt. 20,600lbs
Hawker Sea Hawk; entered service 1953:
Speed 521 kts; Ceiling 44,500 ft; Range 480  mi; Empty wt. 10,582 lbs; Max take-off wt. 16,535 lbs.

Chance Vought F-8 Crusader; entered service 1957:
Speed 973 kts; Ceiling 58,000 ft; Range 1,000 mi; Empty wt. 17,836 lbs; max. take-off wt. 34,044 lbs
Supermarine Scimitar; entered service 1957:
Speed 617 kts; Ceiling 46,000 ft; Range 1,421 mi; Empty wt. 23,962 lbs; Max. take-off wt. 34,200 lbs.
The mightiest naval fighter for the 1960s was:
Mc Donnell F-4B Phantom II; entered service 1960:
Speed 1290 kts; Ceiling 60,000 ft; Range 808 mi; Empty wt. 30,358 lbs; Max. take-off wt. 61,652 lbs.
Modernised  WW2 Essex class aircraft carriers formed the backbone of the US Navy carrier force through the 1950s, 22 of the 24 built seeing extensive cold-war  service. Although displacing about  47,000 tons with about 860 ft. long flight decks, they could not adequately operate the Phantom.  The three 65,000 ton Midway class could just cope, but the US Navy had to invest in the 25% bigger Forrestal class of supercarrier –over 70,000 tons displacement and 1,000 ft. long at £2 billion each – twice the original price of an Essex.  Crews doubled to about 5,000 officers and men. No other country could invest in such a vessel.
The Royal Navy was keen to acquire the Phantom, but only their two largest carriers, Ark Royal & Eagle, were big enough, and even then the F-4 had to be expensively modified to be acceptable. They were about 43,000 tons with a crew of about 2,250.
The British Light Fleet Carriers had been much more effective than expected; the four Centaur Class (24,000 tons, complement about 1,200) were more economical to operate, but had struggled to cope with the Scimitar generation. Nine of the earlier, slightly smaller Colossus and Majestic classes were still in service with several navies.
Aware that the Royal Navy was planning to convert the Centaurs to helicopter assault carriers, Folland Aircraft proposed a navalised version of their Gnat light fighter, which would allow the ships to carry a flight of jets for CAP and battlefield strike. As a bonus, retaining their catapults and arrestor wires would provide an extra deck for AEW Gannets in case RAF radar cover was not available. The Indian Navy was particularly keen for Hindustan Aircraft Limited to build the navalised version as well as the air force Gnat.
In the real world the Royal Navy used precious funds converting the cruisers HMS Tiger and HMS Blake to hybrid helicopter carriers, Centaur was scrapped early and Albion and Bulwark were worked hard but allegedly insufficiently maintained; in this whif-world the money (and 850 crew) was better used keeping all four Centaurs to allow a proper rotation into deep maintenance – and AEW in the Falklands.
Folland Sea Gnat; entered service1968:
Speed 604 kts; Ceiling 50,000 ft; Range 750 mi; Empty wt. 5,600 lbs; Max. take-off wt. 10,120 lbs.
(Figures from Folland Gnat,Sabre Slayer & Red Arrow by Victor Bingham).

Folland Naval Gnat colour FAA 804 by Glenn Gilbertson, on Flickr

Folland Naval Gnat colour INAS 300 by Glenn Gilbertson, on Flickr

Hawker Siddeley bought Folland Aircraft, and produced a hooked variant of the Gnat trainer. This was used by 764 Sqn , FAA to train British and foreign students at Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar)

Sea Gnat 764 Sqn. FAA by Glenn Gilbertson, on Flickr
In 1964 the Lossiemouth instructors heard that the RAF was forming an aerobatic team called the Yellowjacks; not to be outdone, they formed the Fulmar Five , with the aircraft sprayed gold and proudly displaying the Fleet Air Arm badge on the underside.

Sea Gnat Fulmar Five Pair by Glenn Gilbertson, on Flickr

Despite their fine flying, (like the Yellowjacks) it was found that the gold colour did not stand out sufficiently, so in 1965 the team decided to copy the 738 Sqn Red Devils scheme of 1957. Inevitably the team became known as the Red Admirals. The Navy insist that the RAF Red Arrows were nothing but copycats, but the RAF are equally certain that they thought of red first.
Sea Gnat Red Admirals by Glenn Gilbertson, on Flickr

Hawker Siddeley developed the twin-engined, supersonic Gnat Mark 5, which enjoyed some export success. A navalised version was procured for the Centaurs, and sold to Australia, Brazil, Canada and the Netherlands.
Folland Sea Super Gnat; entered service1968:
Speed M= 1.8; Ceiling 50,000 ft; Range 750 mi; Empty wt. 6,560 lbs; Max. take-off wt. 10,000 lbs.

Sea Super Gnat F.25 FAA A4B by Glenn Gilbertson, on Flickr

Sea Super Gnat F.81 Dutch Pair A4 by Glenn Gilbertson, on Flickr

perttime

It is easier if you post images so that we see them here on the forum.
_____
Edit: Glenn's pictures are also in an Album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188827820@N06/albums/72157714628211766
------

Using the Flickr Share feature (arrow icon below and to the right of your picture)
Folland Naval Gnat colour FAA 804 by Glenn Gilbertson, on Flickr

Or copying the address of the image itself and using Insert Image here.

Dizzyfugu

I like the Indian Navy Sea Gnat a lot. And I have built something similar to the twin-engine Super Gnat a whiel ago, even though as an Indian development.

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2020, 03:12:13 AM
Nice.  I like the Dutch one.

Yes, the Gnat's lines work very well with the high waterline livery.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 10, 2020, 03:31:12 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2020, 03:12:13 AM
Nice.  I like the Dutch one.

Yes, the Gnat's lines work very well with the high waterline livery.

They do and I like the Dutch national markings as well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That twin engined one really looks the business!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

That's very smart Brian.  :thumbsup:

Did you graft the rear of a T-38 onto it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

I have also done some Gnautical Gnats in the past. Here is the original post.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=42685.msg739127#msg739127

As Botophucket has splogged their logo over the photos, here are some new ones.

First, many years ago, there was the Sea Gnat T-3M.

Then there is the Sea Gnat FB-3.

Lastly, the Oscar Phallus E.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

I've just got an Airfix Gnat T1 today, and it has those 'The Navy' decals as one of the colour schemes!  :o

And the drop tanks have 'rocket ports' on their noses as decals too!  :o :o

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Yes in the film all the flying shots were done with T1's.
The only single seater seen was in fact an ex-Indian Ajeet, and it was only seen in a static role on the "flight deck" of the carrier.
That flight deck was in fact the top floor of a multi story car park on the Californian sea front.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 10, 2020, 07:08:18 AM
That's very smart Brian.  :thumbsup:

Did you graft the rear of a T-38 onto it?

PM F-5. 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.