Main Menu

The Gloster Lance FAW3

Started by PR19_Kit, June 12, 2020, 04:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I did some googling.
i found this on Airvectors.net.

The fuselage was split lengthwise and built in halves that were fitted together like a plastic model kit. The Il-28 featured a high mounted, two-spar, straight wing with a turbojet attached directly under each wing in a long nacelle. The tail, unlike the wing, was sweptback to improve controllability in dives.

http://www.airvectors.net/avil28.html

And this on Globalsecurity.org

The high-mounted wings featured a straight leading edge and forward-tapered trailing edge with blunt tips. The unswept wing contrasts with the swept tailplane but ensures pitch control in high Mach dives.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/russia/il-28-design.htm
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

buzzbomb

This build has "Brit Airframe" all over it.
A Touch of Supermarine Scimitar and lashings of steady as she goes design.
The concept is a good choice and the build coming along very nicely. Seatbelts are a treat

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 14, 2020, 04:35:04 AM

The high-mounted wings featured a straight leading edge and forward-tapered trailing edge with blunt tips. The unswept wing contrasts with the swept tailplane but ensures pitch control in high Mach dives.

Precisely my thinking too, I've always needed adequate pitch control in dives.  ;D ;)

Quote from: buzzbomb on June 14, 2020, 05:14:05 AM

The concept is a good choice and the build coming along very nicely. Seatbelts are a treat

I've been thinking about doing this for years, just never got round to it. Back in the 50s the Javelin was seen as a VERY avant gard design, but nowadays we don't even think twice about it.

As for the seat belts, they do look pretty good but were a real PITA to apply to the seat. Very fiddly indeed, and I've got to the back seat today as well!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 14, 2020, 05:18:34 AM

I've always needed adequate pitch control in dives. 

A lot depends on what you have been doing in the dive in question. inadequate pitch control and your beer spills.  Excessive intake and you probably need three axis stabilisation.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

If anything it's more Supermarine 508/529, although it did get devloped into the Scimitar via the Type 525 (a denavalised version of which, the Type 526 was offered to the RAF).

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The wing shape's very similar to the 508. A zillion years ago I thought of doing a 508 with Scorpion wings mated to an old FROG N113 fuselage, which wasn't area ruled like a proper Scimitar.

I STILL have the bits in The Loft!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Great idea. I really like the look.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 14, 2020, 06:30:05 AM
The wing shape's very similar to the 508. A zillion years ago I thought of doing a 508 with Scorpion wings mated to an old FROG N113 fuselage, which wasn't area ruled like a proper Scimitar.

I STILL have the bits in The Loft!  :o

I'm sure Maintrack did it around 1990? as part of their Project X range as I think Mike McEvoy made one for SAM.  That being the case, it's possible that it's available again from Whirlibird.

Maintrack definitely did the 525, as I had one of those.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Not a lot of progress on the Lance today, apart from two lots of PSR, as my temporary hostess fell over while out on walk and ended up in hospital after bashing her head on the road, where she still is and I'm waiting for a call to go and collect her...... :(

I've given the fuselage a first testing coat of primer to see how much more PSR I need, and it's quite a bit, but that was to be expected with such a radical change.

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 14, 2020, 05:38:09 AM

If anything it's more Supermarine 508/529, although it did get devloped into the Scimitar via the Type 525 (a denavalised version of which, the Type 526 was offered to the RAF).

Thanks Wooksta.. that is probably exactly what I was thinking of.
I started one of these many, many moons ago to go for a flexible deck trial aircraft.

This build is really triggering that feel of late 40's/50's of aircraft design. So working perfectly :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quite often we find ourselves having to file down the inside of the trailing edges of our model's wings to get a sharp trailing edge.

Not so with the Lance.  ;D

The RW Javelin has straight cut trailing edges about 1-2" thick! This is a poor pic but it's the best I could find and you can just see what I mean.

So the Lance would have used the same 'technology' in my world and I actually filed the nicely sharp trailing edges of the Scorpion wings to give them that 'Gloster Edge'.  ;D

That's an 'in county' joke as there's a place called Edge about 5 miles from Gloster's Hucclecote factory.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've got three nose choices for this machine, the standard T3 nose, one of Colin Freightdog's more detailed FAW9 noses, and a sawn down version of the F-89 nose.

Here's a montage of them in position.

What does the panel think?

The umpteenth PSR session is under way on the wing blanking plates. I'm not sure I have the will to continue with any more!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Freightdog.  And I can't even see it on here.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

It's the light grey pointy one in the middle.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

No, I can't see it as ORAC won't show pics from certain sites.  This mac is getting very picky.

I'd go with Freightdog as I know the quality.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: