Main Menu

The Gloster Lance FAW3

Started by PR19_Kit, June 12, 2020, 04:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The repair of the wing root went pretty well, first stage of the PSR looks OK, but it'll need another one, maybe two, who knows?

As for that 'pen knib' exhaust, words fail me. I love the look of it, but the moulding is terrible. It's taken SIX lots of PSR to get rid of all the sink marks, plus loads to fair it into the rear fuselage, which it fits like an F-104 nose onto a B-52 fuselage!  :banghead:

I've sawn off the nose and grafted Colin Freightdog's lovely resin radome in place, and I've scratched up four tail fins for the four I'd broken off the Red Tops that will be hanging under the wings. I forget how brittle some resin stuff is sometimes. :(

Some parts of the model, the bits that HAVEN'T been sanded to death, have now had maybe 6-10 coats of primer! They'll be 1/48 scale at this rate.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jalles

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 15, 2020, 01:24:49 PM

Something about that just looks so right. Really love the shape of things  :wub:

PR19_Kit

The last PSR session is done and the last coat of primer is on now.  ;D

But I forgot to plug the cockpit this time, so now I've got to repaint the cockpit interior THROUGH the hole in the top! Somehow I don't think it will be as detailed as it was first time........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

The question now is, has the span actually been increased?
Certainly the aspect ratio has, and with the tip tanks acting like partial end plates, even more so. But, what about the actual physical span?
Looks damned good though!  :wub:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on June 16, 2020, 11:00:39 AM

The question now is, has the span actually been increased?
Certainly the aspect ratio has, and with the tip tanks acting like partial end plates, even more so. But, what about the actual physical span?
Looks damned good though!  :wub:

Rather oddly it's almost identical to a standard Javelin. That's to the inside of the tip tanks mind you.

Glad you like it Jim.  ;D

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitbasher

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 16, 2020, 12:14:20 AM
That's looking good!  :thumbsup: Cries somehow for large wing tip rocket pods and Canadian markings?

Totally regarding the markings.  Smaller pods work better for me, That adds to the CF-100 vibe I mentioned in reply #3.  There'd be even more IMHO had Kit elected to go with the F-89 radome.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

It'll probably be in 23 Sdqn. RAF markings for two reasons.

a) I've got a set of 23 Sqdn's historical decals here from Xtradecal, and

b) 23 Sqdn. were the first unit to take me flying in a jet! It was their Vampire T11 squadron hack when they were flying Venom NF3s.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Ripe for replacement by the 23 Sqn Arrow F.1 that's very slowly (glacially!) creeping towards completion.
85 Sqn earmarked to get the EE P.12 that's been on the go for around a decade!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Rat

That is looking incredibly good! :wub: :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on June 16, 2020, 03:09:30 PM

Ripe for replacement by the 23 Sqn Arrow F.1 that's very slowly (glacially!) creeping towards completion.
85 Sqn earmarked to get the EE P.12 that's been on the go for around a decade!

Modern jets take time to develop Dave.  ;D

Both bang seats are in place, the crazy little reflector sights are glued in place and painted, the instrument and side panels are painted and 'detailed' (as far as they're going to be....) the canopy's glued down and the wings and tail have had their first colour coats.

Serious progress at last.  ;D

The colour balance is TOTALLY different to the other pics of it, just because I used my other camera. :(

Regards
Kit

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Tophe

Nice model! :wub:
Great inventive shape, no matter what military colours will be applied (according to me)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

JayBee

Now we wait with bated breath for the PR5 version, with longer wings.  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on June 17, 2020, 03:57:45 AM

Now we wait with bated breath for the PR5 version, with longer wings.  :wacko:

Not for nothing do I have Gloster's drawing of the P.348 proposal in my 'Javelin Stuff' folder....................  ;)

But it'd look better with the T3's longer nose, like most Javelin variants.

Regards
Kit