Main Menu

The Gloster Lance FAW3

Started by PR19_Kit, June 12, 2020, 04:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Oh dear........... :(

The colour scheme should be Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green camo over High Speed Silver, but I don't have any Dark Sea Grey with me. And there's no time to get any before the end of the GB.

So. needs must etc. I'll be mixing some Medum Sea Grey and some Extra Dark Sea Grey and see how that works.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

If you've got some Sky, go Navy instead - all you'd need is a panel line on the wing and I'm sure you could mug up an arrestor hook.

It could also explain the basis of the aircraft - the Navy didn't like swept wings on carriers (partially true, as they put up every single sodding reason they could NOT to have the swept P.1052) and ordered the Lance instead of the Javelin. The DH 110 goes down the drain in the wake of the Farnborough crash.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

It's mixed and on there now, plus I have the decals for 23 Sqdn sitting here already.

But I've got 3, no FOUR Javelin kits standing by at home....................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 17, 2020, 09:12:12 AM
If you've got some Sky, go Navy instead - all you'd need is a panel line on the wing and I'm sure you could mug up an arrestor hook.

It could also explain the basis of the aircraft - the Navy didn't like swept wings on carriers (partially true, as they put up every single sodding reason they could NOT to have the swept P.1052) and ordered the Lance instead of the Javelin. The DH 110 goes down the drain in the wake of the Farnborough crash.

I like this idea.    A while ago, I started on a Triton (Fleet Air Arm Javelin) that comrade Bungle passed on to me. It seems to be transmuting itself into a FRADU target drone  with a somewhat garish livery.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Martin H

Give me a call Kit, I can help with that as well................so long as u can use gunze sanyo.....................

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 17, 2020, 05:44:38 AM
Oh dear........... :(

The colour scheme should be Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green camo over High Speed Silver, but I don't have any Dark Sea Grey with me. And there's no time to get any before the end of the GB.

So. needs must etc. I'll be mixing some Medum Sea Grey and some Extra Dark Sea Grey and see how that works.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

The Lance has entered a 'Pause Mode'.

My mix of Dark Sea Grey was awful, far too dark, although it looked OK in the palette, and not blue enough. And then the green on top looked even worse, and will need at least one more coat!

Luckily OGL came to my rescue and I'll be taking delivery of a pot of DSG this evening. TOP BLOKE Martin!  :thumbsup:

So in the meanwhile I've painted the landing gear, 1/3 Javelin and 2/3 Scorpion  ;D and I'm painting the missiles too. The Red Tops have white wings and fins and a grey 'fuselage'. So that's 4 missiles, each of which has 4 fins and 4 wings, and as they're white they need two coats each (why does white paint ALWAYS need two coats?) so that's 64 bits to paint! Aggghhh! I've drawn up some decals for the missiles' markings too.

I've had to scratch two outer pylons as the Scorpion only had two for its Genies, and they're not too bad.

I'll try another coat of Dark Green camo in a short while.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I usually find that when brush painting white it takes a minimum of two coats  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

I've yet to find a white that's happy with only two brushed coats  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Ah right, I'm glad it's not just me then.

Normally I go for the Halfords Appliance White can, but when you're painting 1/72 missile fins that's a bit of an overkill!  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Actually using a tin of Appliance White would be easier Kit. Spay missile all over white then brush paint the body when the white is dry. The fins will then make handy places to hole during the painting of the body and give you something to keep the body off the work surface when the paint is drying or the fins could be a handy thing to attach clothes pegs or whatever you use to hold things with.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Much easier to open out the exhaust and use a cocxtail stick.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 19, 2020, 01:10:01 AM
Much easier to open out the exhaust and use a cocxtail stick.

Second that.

The brushed on white on the Farley Fairy Penguin took five coats before I was happy.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

It would have been easier if my can of Appliance White hadn't run out..............

And the queue at the nearest Halfords is tending to look like the entrance queue at the IPMS Nationals on Saturday around 0930.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Well, it's getting there, but while the construction phase went mostly OK, the painting is a disaster.  :banghead:

It's a '2 foot model', meaning don't get any closer than that, the paint's just not up to it. Got some of the decals on, but they don't fit all that well, so perhaps they're designed for the old FROG FAW9, or maybe Airfix's FAW9, but that was re-cut from the T3 moulds.  :-\

The kit decals fell apart when I applied them, so I've varnished the rest of them in the hope that I can salvage some, otherwise it'll need a home print of the scanned sheet.

As the Scorpion wing is nowhere near thick enough for any guns (unlike the Javelin itself!) I've added a couple of 20 or 30 mm cannon underneath the intakes. Better than nothing when you've run out of Red Tops, eh?  ;)

With luck the landing gear and the missiles will be on tonight, or at worst tomorrow, and that'll be it.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Very good  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: it has a strangely addictive look to it ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike