Main Menu

The Gloster Lance FAW3

Started by PR19_Kit, June 12, 2020, 04:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

At the moment I could cheerfully stamp on it!  :angry:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 19, 2020, 10:12:40 AM
It's a '2 foot model', meaning don't get any closer than that
From here, at more than one thousand miles distance, it is great! :thumbsup: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rheged

YES! Most definitely a success.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 19, 2020, 10:20:58 AM
Very good  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: it has a strangely addictive look to it ---

It has, hasn't it ? It looks right.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

It's NEARLY finished.  :-\

All I have to do is reprint the underwing serial letter that came off, under THREE coats of varnish, and then glue the Red Top missile and its pylon over the top of the serial and that'll be it.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

It's done, and not before time either. The blasted thing fought me all the way to the very end. Problem after problem!  :banghead: :banghead:

One day I'll build something that doesn't need complicated modifications, is all the same colour and with a simple set of decals!

Anyway, here's the Gloster Lance FAW3 of 23 Sqdn. sometime in the mid-60s just after they'd been modified to fire Red Tops.

The Lance was ordered to back up the Javelin, which was seen a rather unconventional with its delta wing, and Gloster used the main parts of the Javelin's fuselage but with a straight, equi-tapered wing and a smaller tailplane and fin.

Lagging behind the Javelin, the Lance was able to profit from the developments carried out on the delta winged version and missed out on many of the troublesome sub-variants of the Javelin.

All Lance variants bar the very last FAW4 version used non-afterburning Sapphire engines and accordingly had the 'pen knib' exhaust fairings at the rear. The much thinner wing and tail of the Lance gave it a higher top speed than the Javelins, but the smaller wing area limited their maximum altitude capability.

Early mark Lances, the FAW1 & 2, carried Firestreak missiles, as did the FAW3 originally, but in 1965 the FAW3s were upgraded to the more potent Red Top missiles, with new pylons and fire control systems,

Because the thinner wings could not encompass the Javelin's cannon, Lances had only two cannon, and these were installed under the intakes firing alongside the cockpit. As with the Hunter this gave some problems with gun firing residue being inhaled by the engines, but the Sapphires were much less troubled with this than the Hunter's Avons.

Lacking the large internal wing tankage of the Javelins, the Lances had jettisonable tip tanks and always carried the large underbelly tanks used by the Javelins, as well as the fuselage tankage. Finished in Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green camouflage upper surfaces and High Speed Silver undersides, the Lance equipped squadrons competed strongly with the Javelin units in numerous RAF exercises, but overall there wasn't much to chose between them, each type having its strong proponents, although Javelins outnumbered Lances by almost 2:1 in RAF Service.

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Wonderfull, what else can one say!  :wub: :wub: :wub:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Knightflyer

Another good one Kit  ;D

One thing that I keep seeing in mind's eye .... If the wings were (only a little?) further forward, you could have a tail-wheeled big brother to the Supermarine Attacker, an alternative to what would lead to the Scimitar? ..... A Lancet perhaps!  :o
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on June 20, 2020, 09:34:03 AM

One thing that I keep seeing in mind's eye .... If the wings were (only a little?) further forward, you could have a tail-wheeled big brother to the Supermarine Attacker, an alternative to what would lead to the Scimitar? ..... A Lancet perhaps!  :o

Thanks so much, both of you. I've only JUST posted it too!  :o

I like the idea of the tail wheel Lance, and we're just about to start the Prototypes GB too.....................  ;)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

I think it was worth the fight, Kit, that's a good looking bird. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

One of those 'it should have been' ---- brilliant stuff Kit.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Very good.  Was there maybe a Lance  PR-19?
;D ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

That really does work Kit  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.