End of the Line

Started by NARSES2, June 13, 2020, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have a  disliking of  canopies at the best of times and an ill fitting  one  is a real pain.  I dread having to  sand one down  or cut it in any way  as they never  look right no matter how much I  polish them.  My current build  has been  through  7 different  canopies to get one to work, I  have  finally  decided upon a  spare vacform canopy from the  P-111. I just hope it sticks  :angry:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

I don't normally have a problem with canopies Chris, even vacform ones (and yes I am touching wood as I type). But these ones were almost impossible. Still we shall see, or maybe not  :angel:

Apologies for that comment (I nearly typed crack  ;D)

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Could have been worse, you could have been touching  cloth as you type  :o I  have  cracked  several  canopies  whilst trying to get them to fit also.  Thanks to  my marvellous touch.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

I've finally got the canopy fared in, or at least I think it is, so can start laying down some paint next week.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Nearly there, after a struggle which was not all down to that vacform canopy or the kit in general  :-\

Interestingly some background research has revealed that some sources think the proper designation for this aircraft was PZL-55 not 62 ? For ease I'll stick with PZL-62 on the basis that that's what Choroszy call it and they are Polish.

Tophe

Good, go on. (We hope to see it finished someday) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Matt coat is complete, so just need to go through my finals check list and the get photos organised, up to PB and then onto site. So hopefully middle of next week.

NARSES2

PZL -62 of 112 Eskadra Mysilwska (112 Fighter Squadron) Polish Airforce.

The PZL-62 (Other sources say it was designated as the PZL-55) was a Polish pre-war project for a fighter aircraft, designed by Jerzy Dąbrowski of the PZL works. The design was for a single-seat low-wing monoplane, developed from the PZL.26 sports plane and private sports plane project designed by Jerzy Dąbrowski for his own purposes.

The project got no farther than a mock up but was projected to make its first flight in 1940 and enter service in 1942, but the outbreak of war in 1939 meant the project was cancelled.

It was designed around the Hispano-Suiza 12Y engine but production models would have had the 12Z engine. Maximum speed of 660kmh (410 mph) and a maximum altitude of 8,000 metres (26,000 feet). Armament was to consist of one 20mm canon firing through the propeller hub and 6 0.792mm m.g.'s in the wings.

The kit is a bit of a curate's egg in that the major resin parts are pretty decent. Detail is nice, although a little soft in places, and there are few pin holes. The smaller/detail parts are a bit of a mixture. Some are o.k. whilst others in all honesty are poor and I replaced some (the undercarriage and wheels for example) with items from the "spares box". The vacform canopies are the worst part of the kit and are truly awful. I hope I got bad examples and others are better, but these are probably the worst I've ever used, and I've built a few Unicraft kits in my time. They are not only exceptionally poorly formed, but don't even begin to fit. It took me a couple of weeks to get it to an even barely acceptable level and in all honesty the kit was nearly binned on more than one occasion. If I had the ability I'd have made a master and plunged moulded my own, but I don't have that ability. Still we got there in the end, but I can't say I enjoyed this kit at all, which is a shame as up until I came to the canopy it had been relatively enjoyable.

So after a long struggle here it is :-

kitbasher

Very smart, Chris, it has the air of the D520.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

DogfighterZen

I like it! That little fellow looks very good, well done, Chris! :thumbsup:
Still, can't help to imagine it with a bigger prop spinner, i believe that it would make it look even better.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Hurrah! :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Nice uncommon silhouette! ;D
May I imagine/create a zwilling version of it? :unsure:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

stevehed

Very nice. Definitely has a Dewoitine look to it.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitbasher on September 13, 2020, 08:30:15 AM
Very smart, Chris, it has the air of the D520.

That was my first impression, too, esp. in the view from above. Like a D.520 racer?

PR19_Kit

That canopy shape reminds me of some other type, but I'm damned if I can remember which one. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on September 13, 2020, 09:10:57 AM

May I imagine/create a zwilling version of it? :unsure:

Of course you may Tophe  :thumbsup: