Savoia-Marchetti SM.170 licence built Blohm und Voss

Started by Bungle, June 13, 2020, 01:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

So I have a bag of cmk resin, just a picture no instructions of the Blohm und Voss bv P.170 three engined bomber..

I'm on a bit of a Regia Aeronautica kick at the moment so a three engined aircraft fits in with Italian style.

Not sure if it will be a camouflage fascist or a later Cobelligerante aircraft in silver

Pictures to follow.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

PR19_Kit

Oh my, that's a HOOT of an aircraft! One Vogt's all time meisterwerks!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

I did not remember which Bv was the P.170 but Google/Wikipedia told me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm_%26_Voss_P_170
Good luck!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Bungle

Luck ?   Fingers crossed all the way !

I reckon I'll be cleaning it up until Friday then building/painting in a 48 hour session !
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

NARSES2

I wasn't aware CMK did that kit, still it should be a fairly good fit once you've got it cleaned up. Certainly suits the Regia Aeronautica with the 3 engines, how about overall dark green over grey for the scheme ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Its an old one - I got one at Donnington in 95.  Sure there must be a set of instructions online somewhere and I suspect that the Planet kit is this one.

Edit.  Yes, it's the same kit.  This may help with some of the cockpit parts

The relevant Scalemates page has a full set of instructions as a pdf
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/planet-models-plt115-blohm-and-voss-p17001--112657

I'd recommend replacing the engines and props with a set and a half from the Italeri Ju 188 - you get both Jumo and BMws, so you don't really lose out.

Given the time frame for the type, ANR/RSI markings are probably likely, but they lost and I detest collaborators anyway, so I'd go for captured RAF markings, or possibly a hack serving with an RAAF squadron in Italy.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Bungle

Thamk's for that.  Time limitations mean I can't source the JU 188's so I'll have to go with what's in the kit.

Thinking of adding something likle a tail plane as it doesn't look right with out one.

perttime

Quote from: Bungle on June 13, 2020, 01:54:36 PM

Thinking of adding something likle a tail plane as it doesn't look right with out one.
Fin and rudder? Savoia-Marchetti had some distinctive shapes for that.

Bungle

Running out of time but thought I'd better post something.

Some construction, a spray of primer and some paint. Decalling now and may be finished tomorrow (hopefully)

Tophe

Bungle

I have finished the model or it has finished me!

Here's a quick pic I will take more in daylight tomorrow as the canopy glue has yet to go off and I don't want to move it around too much.

Hope that's allowed !

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency