Farley Fairy Penguin - Movie Star! Finished Pictures Page 4.

Started by zenrat, June 13, 2020, 06:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Yes, hairspray.

I want to weather the bottoms of the skis and the edges of the blades.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

OK, so how does the hairspray help with the weathering?

I've never heard of that technique before, is it an Oz thing?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

The hairspray will form a layer between the silver (car paint) and a coat of white (acrylic) and will make it easier to scrub off some of the white to give a worn effect.
Once the acrylic is dry you wet it with water which will cause the underlying hairspray to let go when poked with a cocktail stick or scrubbed with a toothbrush.

This is the result of using the technique.
Mitsubishi Evo Zero018 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 17, 2020, 03:55:02 AM

I lost my morning session at the bench today due to being called into work early  :banghead:

Highly inconsiderate of them  :rolleyes:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 17, 2020, 04:43:53 AM
OK, so how does the hairspray help with the weathering?

I've never heard of that technique before, is it an Oz thing?

You see it in most of the UK magazines as a weathering aid Kit, but its prevalence is dying out as the reviewers move on to other methods. They don't even describe its use nowadays, simply saying "I used the hairspray" method.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Well, I've never seen that mentioned before, thanks for the gen.  :thumbsup:

Mind you, I rarely weather my models anyway, and if I do it's very lightly, so I guess I just waltzed right past those articles.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Use of actual hairspray by magazine kit builders seems to be being replaced with the use of "chipping fluid".  As obviously it is better to push the use of something marketed specifically for model use rather than something cheap and easy to get in the local supermarket.  <sarc mode off>

Another (and i'm calling it the final) coat of white this morning and then a coat of blue (RLM 78) thisarvo when I got home.
Farley Fairy Penguin WIP 18-06-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The white was still slightly tacky (I have discovered using gloss acrylic gives a better result than matt as far as white is concerned - but dries slower) so I fired up the dehydrator to push it along.

Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 18, 2020, 03:45:39 AM

As obviously it is better to push the use of something marketed specifically for model use rather than something cheap and easy to get in the local supermarket.  <sarc mode off>

I'm with you there, 'business people' jumping on the bandwagon.  :banghead: :banghead:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I didn't take a picture today.  But look at yesterdays and imagine the blue being less streaky and the rotor blades and prop hub being dark green.

White and blue have had all the time spent on them they are going to get.  I am calling them done.
Tomorrow the remaining areas of airframe get some splinter pattern.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 19, 2020, 05:32:46 AM

White and blue have had all the time spent on them they are going to get.  I am calling them done.

Have you informed them yet ? They probably have the right to have a lawyer present ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Under the current regime they have no rights.

Fred

NARSES2

As long as there no ambiguity, that's o.k.  ;)

zenrat

Cutting this one fine.

We just had some friends round for dinner so after laying in bed this morning reading Chastise by Max Hastings and then doing my laundry I spent much of the rest of the day cooking and cleaning up.

I did manage to get down to the shed before I began and put the last colour on this this thing.  It then spent all day in the dehydrator before getting a coat of gloss clear.  The plan is to put the transfers on tomorrow.  I just hope six hours at 35 degrees was enough to get the paint dry enough to not react with the clear.

Farley Fairy Penguin WIP 20-06-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

zenrat

Some mild crazing has occurred.  Which looks like wear on the white paint and is thus a good thing as I wanted to to look like a temporary winter coat anyway.
I think it'll be OK under satin clear.

I put the transfers on and then it was back into the dehydrator before more clear...
Farley Flairy Pengoin WIP 21-06-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

zenrat

15:30.
8 1/2 hours to go.
Satin clear is on.  When it's dry all that needs to be done is metaliser on the cowl ring, exhaust and rotorhead parts, install pilot, and attach canopy & skls.  Then beauty pics and backstory.
Farley Fairy Penguin WIP 21-06-2020 15:25 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est