F-86 Sabre, Indian Air Force **FIISHED** pics pg. 5

Started by TheChronicOne, June 13, 2020, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Gone through and edited some stuff. Mixed up names and stuff.

But uhhh... son of a bisquit eater! Sure enough, there's no wheel wells on this thing. Oh well! There's lines there for them but you think I'm cutting them out? Pfft.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

It IS the same as the FROG kit then. I didn't know that, it must have been one of their very early sub-contracts.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

This thing is pretty funny.  ;D   I'll have to post some pics of the plastic here in a little while. So.... it has no wheel wells and is essentially moulded with all the doors closed but they give you separate loose doors to glue on anyway.  ;D    Knowing this.. I MIGHT go ahead and cut out the moulded on doors but I won't build a proper wheel well, just leave it open so it looks good from a distance. 

Other features are ridiculously large rasied panel lines and big rivets around the gun ports on the nose and in a few places at the tail. On the plus side, there are speed brakes that can be posed open... the wheels are single pieces instead of halves.... the aforementioned pilot/seat is pretty nice for something of this vintage,  and uhhhh.... well I guess that's it. I'll report of fitment at the right time. Accuracy? I dunno.... but... looks like a Sabre to me!   :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 14, 2020, 07:56:38 AM
Oh, a potential interpretation of IAF C992, a phantom aircraft that only exists on B/W pictures, at best, with SO many suggestion what this Fishbed might have actually looked like.  :wacko:

At first you had my curiosity, now you got my attention.  ;)

Let's hope I can get it done in time. I put zero thought into kit selection... it was one of the ones "on top" and I knew it should be an easy build so I just said, "Yeah, this'll work." Sometimes grabbing a kit with no clue of what it will become makes for the funnest builds so I'm as interested as you are in how it will eventually turn out. I sloppily got everything together and things are subject to change so who knows what'll happen.... should be interesting for the both of us, I hope.

As promised.... pictures!

Not very good pictures but hopefully they can be zoomed in on or whatever.

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Yeah, that's the one I did my RAF Sabre from yonks ago now. I recognise the plastic, but not the box as mine was a FROG moulding.

I cut the wheel wells out too, and didn't bother with the internals. After all, they're on the bottom, aren't they?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Frog did a Sabre around the same time they did the Venom, Hunter F1, Meteor F8, but that mould has thankfully long since vanished.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

Looking further into the paint scheme I find myself wondering whether to go with the incorrect but nice looking picture posted or with the more accurate hastily applied dark green over NMF finish. That has caused a bit of a pause in the build until I decide so any input is appreciated.

That said, I'm slowly getting other things done that don't require considering the paint work.
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

C992 is a mystery, at least what the colors concerns. There are only B/W pics of the real aircraft, and these could be ANYTHING. It is even unclear whether the fuselage is left in bare (weathered) metal or if there had been some paint applied to it.
On the pics you just can see that the stripes have been painted by three different technicians, their style can be distinguished well - but any color is left to guesses. The worst interpretation is IMHO the Fujimi kit of this aircraft, in which the fuselage is bright green (FS 34227!!!) with olive drab stripes. Many drawings show a translucent coat of olive drab all around the fuselage, with black stripes, though (even though some show a bare fuselage underside!), and that's my personal favorite - even though I think that the aircraft was just left in NMF with black stripes applied with brushes.

I did an experimental interpretation of C992 on an Iskra single-seater, as a prototype for a build of the "real thing" some day:

1:72 Hindustan Aeronautics Limited HAL HJT-18 "Dawon" GR.2; aircraft "WI 571" of the Bhāratīya Vāyu Senā (Indian Air Force) No. 10 Squadron "Flying Daggers"; Jodhpur Air Force Station, Rajasthan, 1981 (Whif/Mistercraft kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The green surely has to be more translucent, I guess!

TheChronicOne

Thanks!  I might go that exact route myself and see where I get. Time being of the essence, I could get right into the translucent green without priming or anything because the plastic is silver then I can do the darker stripes. I'll just hope the seams along the top ridge are mainly hidden.

Fascinating...

Dumping this here for interest: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981982-mig-21-question-indian-air-force/

The conversation turns to the paint job mid way down the first page. One ol' boy swears by the straight bare metal. Like you said, though, I haven't seen any pictures yet that give definitive proof one way or other. However, the arguments against some paint scheme choices are pretty compelling.
-Sprues McDuck-

Wurgerman

The original Frog Sabre had a solid cockpit with just a pilots head and came with a lead weight for the nose,
I was not aware that Frog boxed the Hasegawa one !

Wurgerman

kitbasher

Quote from: Wurgerman on June 19, 2020, 09:14:21 AM
The original Frog Sabre had a solid cockpit with just a pilots head and came with a lead weight for the nose,
I was not aware that Frog boxed the Hasegawa one !

Wurgerman

I built one aeons ago, in RAF colours courtesy of Modeldecal (not the Sabre-specific sheet(s), a very early sheet).  No wheel wells not a problem as it was to be hung from the ceiling!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on June 19, 2020, 09:36:45 AM

I built one aeons ago, in RAF colours courtesy of Modeldecal (not the Sabre-specific sheet(s), a very early sheet.  No wheel wells not a problem as it was to be hung from the ceiling!

112 Sqdn.? The one with the Sharkmoiuth?  ;D

I did mine in the same scheme.   :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TheChronicOne

I can't get it together to even work on this so I'm pretty certain now that I'm not going to finish it so if someone wants to move this to the airplanes forum then that's swell.
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 19, 2020, 08:00:37 PM
I can't get it together to even work on this so I'm pretty certain now that I'm not going to finish it so if someone wants to move this to the airplanes forum then that's swell.

I'll probably be moving one of mine, at least, on Monday so I'll do it then if that's o.k. ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.