M

TSR 2 Weapon System Brochure

Started by Muttley, January 18, 2005, 06:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muttley

I don't know if this is old news to you all, if so I apologise.  In any case, I feel this is information that should be shared on this board if nowhere else.

Like all of you, I have been surprised and delighted by the news of the Airfix kit.  I have had a soft spot for TSR 2 for a very long time, and posess one half-built Contrail 1/48 vacform and a not-started-yet Resitech 1/72 <sheepish grin>

For a lot of my working life I was part of Marconi/GEC Avionics, and latterly BAE Systems.  A few years ago a friend gave me a facsimile document, originally published in 1962 (and then classified SECRET), republished in 2000 (at UNCLASSIFIED) by the BAE Systems North West Heritage Group.  This is the BAC TSR 2 Weapons System brochure, 62 pages intended for the UK customer and potential export customers.

For the modeller, there are drawings of the recce pack, ground equipment details, 1,000lb internal bomb carriage details, main undercarriage details; cockpit panel illustrations etc, etc.  Some of the drawings have been published elsewhere (Tony Buttler, Barrie Hygate, Derek Wood et al) but there are some I have not seen before.

The copy I have says that additional copies may be had for £5 from the BAE Systems North West Heritage Group, Warton Aerodrome (W23H), Preston PR4 1AX.  There is a phone number, which I will email if there is serious interest ( I'd rather not publish it ).  Of course, if any readers are still in the employ of BAE Systems, then you may have better access than I, especially if you are still at Warton.

Now I must go and put in an order for a few of these kits.....

elmayerle

There's definitely serious interest from this modeller.  Please email me the phone number.

Thanks,
Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

overscan

I'm interested in it for me ;)

Paul.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Martin H

Got my copy at telford a few years back off the BAe heritage boys . has proved very usefull.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Muttley

I guess then that it is your copy of the brochure can be seen at the bottom of this photo from the Bolton Model Show. and on the table next to the large Airfix TSR2 adsheet in this photo ?

I have emailed the phone number (a BAE Systems number, as far as I can tell) to the two enquirers - have they had any luck in calling for a copy?

uk 75

Muttley

Could you let me have the contact details.  I have been a TSR2 enthusiast for years and have worked for the FCO and DTI (as well as during the 80s in Brussels for FCO/MOD).

UK 75
Ralph Morton

Geoff_B

Geoff_B

And these are the details in the front cover...

Amphion

Is there no way U can scan this document, and make a PDF out of it.  :huh:  
Amphion

Geoff_B

QuoteIs there no way U can scan this document, and make a PDF out of it.  :huh:
NO!!!

These are re-created by members of the North West Heritage Society, of which Joe happens to be a member and i know that others follow the site quite closely for the interesting topics we tend to cover.

As a result it would be unfair and illegal to produce and distribute this material via this forum. I won't do it and i expect Tom will take a very dim view of anybody else contemplating it.

The proceeds from the sales of these brochures goes into helping maintain the Society which is tasked with preserving the avaitaion archieves of BAE and other earlier North West Aviation manufacturers. As these and their like have provided data for books such as the British Secret Projects series, you can see why it is in our interest to support them as these have inspired many of our ideas and creations.

Sorry but i won't do it and i think you'll find most members of the SIG who already posess one won't either. :angry:

Geoff Baker

Martin H

Im with Thor on this one lads, the money raised by the sale of copies of these two go to help out a good cause, how ever a PDF version from Northwest Heritage isnt a bad idea, could be another out let to them for fund raiseing
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

elmayerle

QuoteIm with Thor on this one lads, the money raised by the sale of copies of these two go to help out a good cause, how ever a PDF version from Northwest Heritage isnt a bad idea, could be another out let to them for fund raiseing
I'd certinly buy a PDF version on disk and a hardcopy.

Muttley

Amphion wrote
Is there no way U can scan this document, and make a PDF out of it.

It would be illegal, immoral and indefensible to do so, I'm afraid.  The NorthWest Heritage Group are asking a paltry sum for copies, and any modeller should be happy to support their work.  The document is not in the public domain, and it appears that copies are readily available.

Thorvic showed a brochure
Lightning for the RN???  I mean, all right, with VG there may be a fighting chance of landing on again more often than not, but with the Lightnings famously short legs, it must be a tossup whether to fill the belly tank with fuel or put in a big ball of string attached to the carrier . . .  :wacko:

elmayerle

I called the number and apparently they are mainly there on Monday (finally got lucky this morning).  I'll call back and see what I can find out.

Amphion

QuoteNO!!!.............. :angry:

Geoff Baker
Keep your pants on will ya, I was only asking....kindly.

I was under the impression that you'd get xeroxed copies of an original brochure, the fee was only to cover copying and shipping.

On the other hand, making a PDF  would save time and effort. Scan the document ones, arrange it to taste, and the rest is digital.
Amphion