SAAB/B.A.C. Viggen FGR-2 Germany 1975

Started by chrisonord, June 22, 2020, 03:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Yet another  joint venture  by the chaps at SAAB and BAC and something  quite  liked  by the pilots and  ground  crew alike.  Powered by  a Rolls Royce Olympus  based engine with  input from Volvo  technicians, the aircraft  performed  admirably  at high and low altitudes  and was capable of  carrying a  multitude of different  ordnance. One such  weapon  being  the WE177 freefall nuclear bomb, of which  this aircraft  is carrying two of. This load  was rarely  carried  and is thought to be  staged for the benefit of  nosey east German/Soviet  observers.
The kit is the old and getting  past it Airfix  kit, badly fitting  canopy  and needed a lot of  sanding  on the. fuselage  edges to get it to  fit  properly. I think I will have a look for the Heller  2 seat version and do that one  similar.
Chris
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ATHK6GXKPKv5CNAZ8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2ykw5B2HPeV6DoJe9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D4QC2GeQC73VGHno6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XZHhkJZLdLwUzPiC9
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

buzzbomb

It constantly impresses me how a simple change of colour scheme can alter perspective on a vehicle or aircraft.

Nice work

DogfighterZen

Yup, that's one of my favorite camo schemes and suits the Viggen very well!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

I've always had a liking for the Viggen and that scheme certainly suits her Chris  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I almost hate to tell you this after you made such a great job of the model, but the port underwing serial is the wrong way round.

The port one should read from the front and starboard one from the rear, I know this because I made exactly the same mistake with my Hawker P.1086 and the Venerable Mike McEvoy picked me up on it.

[JMN Mode Off]

But it's a great idea and a super paint job.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2020, 01:38:18 AM
...the port underwing serial is the wrong way round...

only in the real world.
;D ;)

Good job Chris.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Glenn Gilbertson

Looks very mean & plausible - I like it :thumbsup:

Weaver

Nice one Chris!  :thumbsup:

IIRC ALL Heller Viggens include the bits for the two-seater and the two recce versions. The only difference between boxings is the extra bits in the JA-37 one. The latter should have a slightly longer fuselage, but it doesn't: it just uses the AJ one.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on June 23, 2020, 05:08:16 PM

IIRC ALL Heller Viggens include the bits for the two-seater and the two recce versions. The only difference between boxings is the extra bits in the JA-37 one. The latter should have a slightly longer fuselage, but it doesn't: it just uses the AJ one.
Cheers H, that should make my search a bit easier.  Glad you  like it  :thumbsup:
Chris

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Looks right at home in those colours, and certainly would have been a useful asset and deterrent ! Not to mention airshow performer  :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

chrisonord

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 01, 2020, 04:53:16 AM
Very nice ! Looks right at home in those colours, and certainly would have been a useful asset and deterrent ! Not to mention airshow performer  :wub:
Last summer I  had the privilege of seeing a viggen and a  Tunnan flying  around  Blackpool airport  getting ready for the  Southport  air show, what a sight and sound  they both were and I felt both amazed and honoured to  have  witnessed two favourite aircraft  in one go.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: chrisonord on June 23, 2020, 05:21:03 PM
Quote from: Weaver on June 23, 2020, 05:08:16 PM

Cheers H, that should make my search a bit easier.  Glad you  like it  :thumbsup:
Chris

There's also the Matchbox two-seater - and it has the bonus of coming with a pair of the huge Rb05 anti-ship missiles. And it has, IIRC, not the extended fin from the JA.

The ultimate current choice us IMHO the new Special Hobby Viggen, though, which, among other details, also has the longer JA fuselage as an option part (it's a 3mm segment that can simply be added), and there's a two-seater option, too. But that's only included in the twin-pack that includes an excellent reference book, too. Steep price, but lovely kit(s)!  :wub:

Devilfish

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 01, 2020, 06:21:58 AM
There's also the Matchbox two-seater - and it has the bonus of coming with a pair of the huge Rb05 anti-ship missiles. And it has, IIRC, not the extended fin from the JA.
Matchbox Sk boxing does have the tall fin, because the JA inherited the tall fin from the Sk. The original Mbox AJ tooling has the short fin however (as it should).