Bit of nostalgia

Started by The Rat, June 26, 2020, 10:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Never knew Tamiya made a model of it, might have to start searching.

http://www.lsrinmin.co.uk/bluebird_cn7.html
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

So rare I've never even heard of it before.  :o

That electric motor in the corner dates it to early to mid-60s, when a lot of Japanese car kits came with a motor and gears, and a battery box too. I did some of the English instructions for some of them, but I never saw that one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Apparently putting a motor in the kit meant it was classed as a toy and avoided tax.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 27, 2020, 06:17:27 PM

Apparently putting a motor in the kit meant it was classed as a toy and avoided tax.

That explains a lot, I never knew that, thanks Fred.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Until such times as those nice people at Southend cottoned on  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 28, 2020, 05:45:45 AM

Until such times as those nice people at Southend cottoned on  :angel:

I always assumed it was those nice people at Tokyo who were the ones to be persuaded.
Fred

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 27, 2020, 07:47:11 AM

....... I did some of the English instructions for some of them......

So are you the guy to blame for some of those "interesting" translations!?  There were some real comical ones. Ha
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 28, 2020, 06:56:30 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 27, 2020, 07:47:11 AM

....... I did some of the English instructions for some of them......

So are you the guy to blame for some of those "interesting" translations!?  There were some real comical ones. Ha

Definitely NOT!

I got so fed up with having to explain to customers of my mate's model shop in Oxford how to build some Tamiya kits with those crazy instructions that we complained to the late Glyn Pearson, Riko's sales manager, that they needed a native English speaking person to write the instructions.

He suggested that I do it, so I did for 2-3 years, until Tamiya got a better English speaker to do the job in the factory. I wasn't complaining, they effectively sponsored my hobby for all that time.  ;D

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on June 30, 2020, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 28, 2020, 07:01:44 AM

Definitely NOT!

"My Spitfire is full of eels!"  ;D

In their quasi-English instructions period Tamiya frequently used the word 'vis' and no-one had a CLUE what it meant. Luckily one of my fellow students when I was doing my HND was Japanese and he told me it meant 'screw' or 'bolt', which helped make sense eventually.

But that was just one of the mis-translations!

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Very nice.  I'd love to see a modern mainstream LSR collection.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 01, 2020, 04:43:25 AM

In their quasi-English instructions period Tamiya frequently used the word 'vis' and no-one had a CLUE what it meant. Luckily one of my fellow students when I was doing my HND was Japanese and he told me it meant 'screw' or 'bolt', which helped make sense eventually.

Vis is also the French word for screw...

JayBee

Yes translations can be rather wonderfull.
I remember an issue of Punch magazine which was aimed at that years motor show in London.
One article was about an early translation of the British highway code into Japanese.
What they gave was a litoral translation back into English, such as :

"If a passenger of the foot hove into view, tootle on the horn. If that is ignored tootle more melodiously."

And my favourite :

"Beware the muddy places, for there lurks the skid Dragon."

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Quote from: JayBee on July 08, 2020, 06:26:14 AM

"Beware the muddy places, for there lurks the skid Dragon."

Well doesn't it ?  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.