Handley Page HP.80N Victomic - Finished Pics Page 19.

Started by zenrat, June 27, 2020, 06:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

And so it begins.

Handley Page Victomic The Beginning 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Handley Page Victomic The Beginning 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Today I have glued the seats to the cockpit floor and begun painting the crew.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sideshowbob9

Don't know if that tingly feeling is excitement for this project or the radiation ionising the air...

zenrat

I have a decision to make.

It would be very easy for this to end up looking superficially like a simple paint whiff.  The trick will be to modify the engine housings to give the appearance of different engines whilst maintaining a "factory*" appearance.
I have dug out some Gundam parts which I will try to integrate.  "Obviously" nuclear engines require a plethora of heat exchangers, lumps, bumps, inspection panels and external plumbing.   ;)

Thisarvo I glued together the outer wings and vertical tail halves.  It's bit crude isn't it.  Was this a serious attempt at a scale model or a toy?  I know Matchbox's usual level of detail etc and was expecting that but this strikes me as being a step down.

I should get on with designing the graphics for it's prototype scheme.  I will be modelling the aircraft as it was when Kit saw it fly past at the 1956 Farnborough Show.
Suggestions please for a good name for Rolls Royce Nuclear jet engines.  Charon?  Styx?  Ares?  Cerberus?

*but not necessarily an aircraft factory...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

sideshowbob9

My tuppence haypenny worth. I'd extend the jetpipes aft, the less airframe exposed to bad juju the better IMO.

On the Tu-95LAL there was a bit of a hump/dome over the reactor on top of the fuselage.

Do you need heat exchangers? I thought the engines were the heat exchangers, although I suppose you might need some for when the reactor is hot but the engines are off.

APU in the tail replacing airbrakes? To power coolant pumps in case of calamity.

Styx defo!

All FWIW.

tigercat

zenrat

Thanks guys.

I don't know if heat exchangers would be needed for engineering reasons but I think they will be for aesthetic ones...

Prometheus is a good suggestion.

Also Sisyphus, Oedipus (they are real mothers to work on), Tantalus, Ixion.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 04, 2020, 01:39:00 AM

I will be modelling the aircraft as it was when Kit saw it fly past at the 1956 Farnborough Show.

Ahah, does that explain why I glow in the dark sometimes?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 04, 2020, 04:02:06 AM

Prometheus is a good suggestion.

Indeed it is. Or for something slightly out of the ordinary ; Yama is a Hindu/Buddhist God of death, Ahriman is the Persian God of destruction.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

This is for the engines Chris.  Those would be more appropriate for a really large heavy bomber or some other weapon of mass destruction.  i shall make notes for possible later use.

I currently favour Ixion.  He was strapped to a burning wheel for eternity for upsetting some god or other.  Seems appropriate but it is ringing a bell for some reason.

<pause to consult google>

Ixion was the pen name of Canon Basil H Davies who wrote under it in The Motor Cycle magazine from the turn of the 20th century until 1961.  I knew it was familiar.  I may even have a book by him.
No need not to use it however as it is after all a classical reference.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 04, 2020, 06:18:36 AM
This is for the engines Chris.  Those would be more appropriate for a really large heavy bomber or some other weapon of mass destruction.  i shall make notes for possible later use.

Ah right  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on July 04, 2020, 06:18:36 AM

I currently favour Ixion.  He was strapped to a burning wheel for eternity for upsetting some god or other.  Seems appropriate but it is ringing a bell for some reason.

<pause to consult google>

Ixion was the pen name of Canon Basil H Davies who wrote under it in The Motor Cycle magazine from the turn of the 20th century until 1961.  I knew it was familiar.  I may even have a book by him.
No need not to use it however as it is after all a classical reference.

Canon Basil wasn't a Palace supporter was he ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 04, 2020, 06:31:49 AM
Canon Basil wasn't a Palace supporter was he ?  ;)

Arsenal surely?

I'll get me coat...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TallEng

I'm with sideshowbob9 here, Rolls-Royce jet engines are traditionally named after Rivers I believe?
So Styx it should be :thumbsup:

Having just Google'd/wiki'd, I now learn there were (are) five Rivers of the underworld:

the Acheron (river of woe), the Cocytus (river of lamentation), the Phlegethon (river of fire), the Styx (river of unbreakable oath by which the gods took vows), and the Lethe (river of forgetfulness)

That's enough classical education today for me ;D

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

sideshowbob9

Prometheus would be just fine for a Bristol Siddeley engine though. An alternative river could be Rubicon as in once the nuclear genie is out of the bottle, you have crossed the Rubicon.

Ixion sounds cool, could be the reactor's codename?

Trouble is pretty much every suggestion sounds pretty cool.

jcf

In the period in question the complexity of the task would probably have required the cooperation of all
four of the manufacturers: R-R, Bristol, Armstrong Siddeley and de Havilland - all of which became part
of R-R over time. Rolls-Royce gas turbines were/are named for rivers, Bristol engines were named
from Greek mythology, and the names were retained when Bristol-Siddeley was absorbed by R-R.

A nuclear turbojet is not a gas-turbine, thus it wouldn't really fit with the rivers naming convention, but
Prometheus could fit because a nuclear powered turbojet would be considered as bringing a new fire.

;D