Handley Page HP.80N Victomic - Finished Pics Page 19.

Started by zenrat, June 27, 2020, 06:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Sanding time.
Today I sanded off all the raised detail from the fuselage.
Here is a mock up.  I am pleased to say that it matches the vision in my head.
Victomic WIP 17-07-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I measured what I removed from the fuselage - a scale 2.6m.  I think it improves the proportions of the thing.
I don't want to harp on about it but this really is an appalling kit.  The fit of the tail parts is abysmal and it has been designed with joins (with of course big gaps) on the top side where they are clearly visible.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 17, 2020, 02:43:20 AM

I am pleased to say that it matches the vision in my head.

Always a good thing for a Whiffer.  :thumbsup:

And yes, it is a ruddy awful kit. Thank goodness Airfix stepped in with a much better one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2020, 03:11:24 AM

I am pleased to say that it matches the vision in my head.

Always a good thing for a Whiffer...  :thumbsup:

Doesn't always happen for me though.  Sometimes I can't get the images out into 3d.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Does the Airfix tanker boxing have the blue steel in it or do I have to buy the bomber boxing to get that?

Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 17, 2020, 04:20:17 AM

Does the Airfix tanker boxing have the blue steel in it or do I have to buy the bomber boxing to get that?

Once I'd managed to wrench my eyes away from Anna's amazingly multi-coloured fingernals  :o in the Scalemates linked review, I'd have to say that it doesn't.

They include both sets of wing tips and a window'd camera bomb bay door for the PR version, but no missile that I could see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-JQz96OFU
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2

I measured what I removed from the fuselage - a scale 2.6m.  I think it improves the proportions of the thing.

Yup, I think your'e right.

Coming along nicely  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

That is certainly coming together nicely :thumbsup:

Weaver

Just been re-reading Vulcan's Hammer and it has a small section on nuclear power. Apparently there was a small amount of work done on it in the UK, principly by De Havilland, which was then inherited by Hawker Siddeley. They initially looked at liquid metal reactors but then quickly shifted to gas-cooled ones for obvious weight reasons. There's a drawing of one aircraft concept which uses the familiar RAE layout of a long, thin fuselage, straight wings and wingtip engines. It had an indirect cycle, with a reactor in the fuselage, feeding coolant out to heat-exchangers which sat in the wingtip turbines where conventional engines would have the combustion chambers.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2020, 04:37:23 AM

Once I'd managed to wrench my eyes away from Anna's amazingly multi-coloured fingernals  :o in the Scalemates linked review, I'd have to say that it doesn't.

Check out nail-art decals on ebay: there's some fun stuff there that's applicable for modelling, especially as mascots, pinups, nose-art, unit badges etc..
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Yeah, I think she used some of them, almost every one of her ten nails was different!  :o

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on July 18, 2020, 01:03:56 AM
Just been re-reading Vulcan's Hammer and it has a small section on nuclear power. Apparently there was a small amount of work done on it in the UK, principly by De Havilland, which was then inherited by Hawker Siddeley. They initially looked at liquid metal reactors but then quickly shifted to gas-cooled ones for obvious weight reasons. There's a drawing of one aircraft concept which uses the familiar RAE layout of a long, thin fuselage, straight wings and wingtip engines. It had an indirect cycle, with a reactor in the fuselage, feeding coolant out to heat-exchangers which sat in the wingtip turbines where conventional engines would have the combustion chambers.

Pumping the heat transfer medium from the fuselage to the wingtips adds inefficiency as there will be losses.  Much better to have the engines in the wing roots close to the reactor.

Todays work on this?  Sand sand sand...
Fred

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on July 18, 2020, 04:09:58 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 18, 2020, 01:03:56 AM

Pumping the heat transfer medium from the fuselage to the wingtips adds inefficiency as there will be losses.  Much better to have the engines in the wing roots close to the reactor.

Todays work on this?  Sand sand sand...

I agree, but that RAE layout seems to have almost been a default at the time, so they probably used it so that the nuclear option could be readily compared to the conventional option.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Woo - tripped over another reference. This site is in German and doesn't say anything specific about British projects (at least according to Google Translate), but two of the drawings on the page are apparently de Havilland schemes, and oh look: the turbines are near the reactor... :thumbsup:

Site: https://www.biancahoegel.de/flug/teile/nuklear.html

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Fred