Handley Page HP.80N Victomic - Finished Pics Page 19.

Started by zenrat, June 27, 2020, 06:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Gluing the upper and lower halves of the inner wings on this abysmal kit required a clamp or two.
Victomic WIP 21-07-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Victomic WIP 19-07-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Revell can't have looked after those moulds very well! My original M'box Victor kit certainly needed the odd clamp or two on those wings roots but not THAT many!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I don't think any care was taken.  Look at the size of those ejector pin marks!
Those in the the undercarriage bays are staying put as removing them without leaving a trace will involve too much work.  They are symmetrical and will become detail (there is nothing else in there).
There are also sink marks on the tops of the wings.
The only good thing about Revell's version is they have used nice soft plastic meaning sanding off all the raised detail is easy.
I have filled and sanded the joins inside the intakes on one wing.  Not an easy task.  I dread to think what ti would have been like without chopping out half the airflow diverter thingies.
I'm also glad I don't have to fill the joints inside the exhausts.  I have other plans in that area.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

I got some Revell Victors when Hobbyzone closed, but I sold them all on rather than building them. As I recall, the boxes were too small, meaning that the sprues had been bent at the factory just to fit them in. The sprues just about fitted the diagonal dimension of the box, which would have been fine if they were flat, but when they had damned great fuselage halves and wing parts sticking up from them...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Don't blame you passing them on.  Building a half decent RW Victor from this would be a real pain.
Fred

The Wooksta!

It always was.  One of the lads at the club built one in the early 80s not long after it came out and he hated it, especially the u/c.

Apparently whoever did the mould for the Airfix Vulcan did this one too - Matchbox didn't have the experience at the time to do large mouldings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 21, 2020, 05:46:02 AM

Apparently whoever did the mould for the Airfix Vulcan did this one too - Matchbox didn't have the experience at the time to do large mouldings.

That explains a few things, there's some similarities between the two kits, sprue sizes and ejector positions etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on July 17, 2020, 02:43:20 AM
Sanding time.
Today I sanded off all the raised detail from the fuselage.
Here is a mock up.  I am pleased to say that it matches the vision in my head.
Victomic WIP 17-07-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I measured what I removed from the fuselage - a scale 2.6m.  I think it improves the proportions of the thing.
I don't want to harp on about it but this really is an appalling kit.  The fit of the tail parts is abysmal and it has been designed with joins (with of course big gaps) on the top side where they are clearly visible.

It looks a lot like the early concept drawings.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Thanks Jon.  I had not seen those.
Fred

Weaver

Whole bunch of images about Convair nuclear aircraft engines,
posted on Twitter by @ToughSF in a thread of tweets starting here:
https://twitter.com/ToughSf/status/1016013101009899523?s=20

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 21, 2020, 05:46:02 AM
It always was.  One of the lads at the club built one in the early 80s not long after it came out and he hated it, especially the u/c.

Having had some recent correspondence with said individual, he says it was the nosegear affecting the sit, but he wasn't sure if it was too long or too short.  I'll be lashing out on an Airfix one tomorrow and after digging out a part started Matchbox one that's going to be an RAAF tanker, I'll compare the two nosegears.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

I'm nowhere near assembling the UC.
But i'll be interested to know what the issues are.

Thanks for the pics H. 
This one...

...looks like the engines have been assimilated by an alien squid.  I envisage something similar is hidden under the Victomic's skin.

More sanding today.  Sand sand sandy-sand sand.  When carrying out this sort of work I often ponder if there is a way to collect all the dust and reconstitute it back into putty with some kind of solvent.  Would save me a fortune.
Today I sanded raised detail off the tail and the wings.  And then put more putty on where this revealed previously unidentified sink marks.
Whilst doing this the thought struck me that if I had built this from the new Airfix kit I would be painting it by now.  Have I mentioned this kit is a dog's breakfast?
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2020, 06:25:12 AM

Have I mentioned this kit is a dog's breakfast?

Not at all, DO tell us more.    ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2020, 06:25:12 AM
Thanks for the pics H. 
This one...

...looks like the engines have been assimilated by an alien squid.  I envisage something similar is hidden under the Victomic's skin.

That's the layout that was proposed for the B-36 based X-6.
http://jpcolliat.free.fr/x6/x6-4.htm

jcf