Handley Page HP.80N Victomic - Finished Pics Page 19.

Started by zenrat, June 27, 2020, 06:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

My father, then working for GEC, spent some time in a Swedish nuclear power plant shortly before I was conceived.
I have often wondered if this is in any way related to my bicuspid heart valve.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 28, 2020, 04:45:34 AM

With a pair of binoculars I could see the silhouette of the test machine through their windows too.  ;D

Surprised you didn't get a visit from the guys in raincoats and nondescript but smart suits ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 28, 2020, 07:22:26 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 28, 2020, 04:45:34 AM

With a pair of binoculars I could see the silhouette of the test machine through their windows too.  ;D

Surprised you didn't get a visit from the guys in raincoats and nondescript but smart suits ?  :angel:

I used to joke with the guys there, when they phoned me for a service call, that I'd have a look at it from my doorstep and tell them how to fix it.  ;D

The whole place has closed now, and it'll be totally returned to nature by 2248.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Anyway, today I started scratchbuilding some flap deployment arms.  The kit has some conveniently placed slots moulded into the flap recesses.  It's almost as if there was going to be more detail parts there but someone changed their mind.
I glued my arms (cut from evergreen sheet) into the slots and am adding surface texture with half round strip.
A smidge of putty was needed around the cockpit canopy.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Painting.

Last night I got carried away and put far too much white primer on the fuselage and tail.
This morning before work I sanded off the crazing and runs and then started again building up coverage with lighter coats.  By tonight the fuselage is where I want it to be before I put on a top coat.
Tomorrow i'll repeat the process with a wing (being a big heavy model - especially the nose due to my weights - I can't just shove a stick up it for painting and so have to have parts I can hold on to).

Transfers are printed and cleared.
Fred

sideshowbob9

Quote from: zenrat on August 28, 2020, 05:09:12 AM
My father, then working for GEC, spent some time in a Swedish nuclear power plant shortly before I was conceived.

My dad worked on Dungeness B during comissioning!  :o

Rheged

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on September 01, 2020, 04:19:56 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 28, 2020, 05:09:12 AM

My dad worked on Dungeness B during comissioning!  :o

My dad designed some ancillary pipework for Calder Hall; the world's first civil nuclear power station! 

(Actually it was the central heating for the offices, but let's not have the truth get in the way of a good story!)
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Wasn't Calder Hall a dual-use site, producing both electricity for the National Grid and plutonium for the weapons programme? I always understood that Magnox reactors, of which Calder Hall #1 & #2 were the first examples, were designed specifically for such dual use.

The Berkeley Station, right opposite me on the River Severn, also used Magnox reactors, but they were solely used for electricity production, or so they told me when they were one of my customers...................  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Hmmm..... a lot of whiffers have connections with nuclear power stations. There you have it. Whiffery is a mutation! ;D

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 01, 2020, 09:13:00 AM
Wasn't Calder Hall a dual-use site, producing both electricity for the National Grid and plutonium for the weapons programme? I always understood that Magnox reactors, of which Calder Hall #1 & #2 were the first examples, were designed specifically for such dual use.

The Berkeley Station, right opposite me on the River Severn, also used Magnox reactors, but they were solely used for electricity production, or so they told me when they were one of my customers...................  :-\

That's correct, Kit.     The primary purpose of both Calder Hall and Chapel Cross (both near where I used to live in Carlisle) was to produce plutonium for  both the UK and US nuclear weapons programmes . Electricity was always considered to be a by-product.  The UK plutonium supplies to USA were vital in maintaining the US nuclear deterrent.  Quantities of tritium were also produced, much exported to US and vital for the Polaris and Trident missile warheads.  Berkeley, Oldbury and Hinkley Point (all near you) were just power producers  BUT the used fuel rods sent back to Calder/Windscale for reprocessing were sources of plutonium/tritium.

NARSES2

Now I could tell you some stories about the manufacture of the plate used to fabricate the "flasks" used to transport the used fuel rods from the power stations to the re-processing plants, but I won't as you might be having your breakfast  ;) All I will say is that it was the only order I knew of that received a first birthday card from the customer  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

One of these flasks?    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=train+hits+nuclear+flask&docid=608027310320715777&mid=A70BE6A844D07DC78017A70BE6A844D07DC78017&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Waste of a good class 46 loco...........but did you see how the carriages stood up to the impact?

In a possibly vain attempt to drag this thread back to its original purpose:- I suppose these containers would be used to transport used fuel rods from the Victomic airfield to Sellafield/Calder Hall/Windscale/whatever name the place has this week   for reprocessing.

zenrat

Early GEC proposals for the operational version of the Victomics reactor included ejector ports from which the fuel rods were to be launched as the aircraft swooped low across Cumbria.
The prototype's reactor however was designed to be lowered as a complete unit for it to be taken away for maintenance.

Some paint on a wing today.
Here she is in my sophisticated model holding clamp.
Victomic WIP 02-09-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

sideshowbob9

Air-dropped fuel rods? Why, dear {insert diety} why?!!!

Stick with the prototype's arrangements for the love of Cumbria!

zenrat

Sorry, forgot to mention Rod capture ponds would be built for them to land in...

The idea was to save time and transport costs.

Fred