Handley Page HP.80N Victomic - Finished Pics Page 19.

Started by zenrat, June 27, 2020, 06:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

I think The Rat summed it up succinctly, no more to add. :bow: :bow:

Surprisingly, when seen with other "larger" aircraft (I know the size of the C-119), she doesn't look quite so big. :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sideshowbob9

Only thing I can add that hasn't already been said is that you've kinda set yourself up to make one of those world girdling fusion behemoths now!  ;)

Excellent model! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: Rheged on September 30, 2020, 09:14:39 AM
Superb!!  I like your RR engine nomenclature............it shows  a considerable knowledge of the riverine geography of the underworld...

TallEng is to thank for listing the names of the rivers of the underworld.  My classical education is lacking as I was only aware of the Styx.

Quote from: buzzbomb on September 30, 2020, 03:44:13 PM
...Now, you have some space left in the big cabinet that needs filling....

It was built to be large enough to take a B-36...

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on October 01, 2020, 01:29:59 AM
Only thing I can add that hasn't already been said is that you've kinda set yourself up to make one of those world girdling fusion behemoths...

I'd need something pretty big to base it on.  1/72 An 225 might be a good starting point... :o

I'd been picking at the back story for a while not really getting anywhere but then on Tuesday night I got on a roll and the words just came out of my fingers and I sat up late until it was finished.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 01, 2020, 03:28:54 AM

I'd been picking at the back story for a while not really getting anywhere but then on Tuesday night I got on a roll and the words just came out of my fingers and I sat up late until it was finished.

I know JUST what you mean.  :thumbsup:

Sometimes it's really hard work thinking something up to put on paper, other times the words are just pouring out of your fingers.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

CammNut

I'd need something pretty big to base it on.  1/72 An 225 might be a good starting point... :o

Convair proposed a nuclear-powered version of the Saunders-Roe Princess. I think there is a 1/72 kit available somewhere. Would that be big enough for you?

buzzbomb

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on October 01, 2020, 01:29:59 AM
Only thing I can add that hasn't already been said is that you've kinda set yourself up to make one of those world girdling fusion behemoths...

I have a Contrail vacform 1/72 MYA-4 Bison that could do with a home with somebody who would actually build it. ;)

zenrat

I have never built a vacform and don't really have the urge to try at my advanced age (23 and some odd years).  But thank you.

To build what I have in my head in 1/72 I think i'd need a scaleoramaed 1/48 wide body fuselage with windows filled and new double or triple decker ones drilled (or more likely done with transfers).
Six or Eight large diameter 1/48 turbofans again scaleoramaed and hanging from lengthened and increased chord 1/72 An-225 wings (possible to do by combining two pairs I think).
Stabilisers modified the same way as the wings retaining the twin vertical tails but with an additional central tail with a flying bridge on top (A-la Fireflash).
Swimming pool with poolside bar and sun-deck under a clear roof at the front of the fuselage where the cockpit and upper deck would have been in an A-380.
All of which means I need to come into a substantial amount of money to fund this build...

Also, when I finish the Sea Witch (about 2025 at this rate) my next REALLY BIG build will be a Diesel Punk Sky Pirates airship combining a Revell pirate ship and a USS Macon gasbag (although I am starting to rethink the gasbag as it is really a bit on the small side - but what bigger alternative is there?).
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Glenn Gilbertson

Great story & superb modelling - well worth all the hard work! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

sideshowbob9

Quote from: zenrat on October 02, 2020, 03:46:04 AM
....my next REALLY BIG build will be a Diesel Punk Sky Pirates airship combining a Revell pirate ship and a USS Macon gasbag (although I am starting to rethink the gasbag as it is really a bit on the small side - but what bigger alternative is there?).

A 1/200 submarine like Vanguard or Andrew Jackson would give you greater length than the (I assume) 1/520 Macon but may very well be a bit too svelte. Maybe you could get a surplus drop tank from somewhere?  ;D

I hear you on vacuforms. I foolishly bought up a load to do, tried one and promply sold them all on again, except the mangled one. I may be able to salvage something (simpler) from it but otherwise noooo vacuforms! Ever. Brrrrrr. I require a decent mating surface between 2 parts for the glue to do it's work, not an edge that would make a Kill Bill katana howl in jealousy!  :banghead:

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on October 02, 2020, 03:46:04 AM
... a USS Macon gasbag (although I am starting to rethink the gasbag as it is really a bit on the small side - but what bigger alternative is there?).

Styrene/balsa overlaid with tissue/foil & primer & paint. ;) :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I have been discussing alternative gasbags via PMs.
The AMT USS Akron/Macon is 18" long.  The Hawk/Testors 1/225 Graf Zeppelin is 38" long but too rich for my blood.
When I get round to starting construction I will offer the Akron/Macon up to the Pirate Ship and see how it looks.  If I decide it's too small then i'll build a new gasbag from a styrene frame with a PVA soaked tissue (or maybe cotton - although that could be too heavy) envelope.  It shouldn't be too hard as I won't be trying to accurately reproduce a RW design, just something which looks right to me.  It will be very messy though.
Fred

PR19_Kit

There's a 1/72 scale model of the R100 airship in the Yorkshire Aviation Museum at Elvington.

It's 10 FEET long!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I'm not going for reality Kit.  Not even for a gasbag of correct scale volume to lift the hull of a pirate ship.  Just what looks right to my eyes.
Fred