RW Eduard Lysander...A Pig Of A Kit

Started by AeroplaneDriver, June 28, 2020, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

So lets just start by saying I remember one of my very first kits way back c.1977 being a Matchbox Lysander, and I've loved the aircraft ever since.  Now that I build almost exclusively 1/48 it was only a matter of time before I sprung for Eduard's Lysander Mk.III Profipack. 

In the box the kit looks nice enough with a few bits of resin and some nice PE, mostly for the cockpit.  With a fairly low parts count (most parts seem to go in the cockpit), I decided to give it a shot about a week ago after finishing my OWGB build. 

A few days later I was ready to chuck the damned thing in the bin.  It really is not a great kit.  The are zero alignment pins anywhere on the kit.  And while detail is nice, especially in the cockpit, but it just wanted to fight me at every step.  Once it came time to fit the 5-piece greenhouse canopy/windshield affair and the associated wing carry through I decided it was time to pack it back up and find a less stressful hobby. 

But after a few days at the coast I decided to power on through and see what I could do with it without putting in too much frustration.  So here she is. 

Kit decals for a 161 Sqn machine in 1942 were used, because I like the SOE machines, but didn't want to do the all over black scheme also included.   I masked the grey/green with Silly Putty for a hard edge and if I'd been in a better mood with it would have done the same for the black, but the example hanging in the main hall at the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum Annex seems to have a softer edge on the black, so masking was skipped and I freehanded it.  It's not my best build ever but I am glad I followed through and now have a good "4-footer" of one of my favorite WW2 aircraft on the shelf. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Scotaidh

You won!  :)  It looks really good.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Well done, you! 

[I'm normally not one to be effusive, but after the struggle you describe I feel you deserve a few superlatives, not only for the result but also for sticking to it.  :)  ]
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Caveman

Claim victory and go get your tea and medals. That's turned out nicely
secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Well you can certainly put that down as a triumph  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

That looks Bob on that does. :thumbsup: I am  glad you  persevered with it, as you have done a splendid job you really have. It's  obvious to me in this day and age that manufacturers are not  making enough effort to make their stuff actually fit together, its as though  they are going  backwards.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on June 29, 2020, 06:46:48 AM
That looks Bob on that does. :thumbsup: I am  glad you  persevered with it, as you have done a splendid job you really have. It's  obvious to me in this day and age that manufacturers are not  making enough effort to make their stuff actually fit together, its as though  they are going  backwards.

The problem is Chris that that is quite an old kit originally produced by Gavia in 2001 and on top of that it was one of their earlier attempts. Eduard have a habit of re-boxing some quite old kits and you have to be careful with them. On top of their game they are brilliant but as said quite a few kits aren't theirs.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Thanks for the kind words fellas.  As big of an ordeal as it was it's rewarding to see it finished.  I think I've earned nice stress free build now though! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 29, 2020, 07:12:20 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on June 29, 2020, 06:46:48 AM

The problem is Chris that that is quite an old kit originally produced by Gavia in 2001 and on top of that it was one of their earlier attempts. Eduard have a habit of re-boxing some quite old kits and you have to be careful with them. On top of their game they are brilliant but as said quite a few kits aren't theirs.
Cheers Chris, I  didn't  know  that they  were in the rebox game too, in 19 years you  would have thought  it could have been  improved though.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Wurgerman

Lovely Lysander, great stuff !

Wurgerman

Mossie

You managed to bludgeon it into submission and made it look great in the process.  :wub:

And it's a Lizzie!  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on June 29, 2020, 10:18:53 AM

Cheers Chris, I  didn't  know  that they  were in the rebox game too, in 19 years you  would have thought  it could have been  improved though.
[/quote]

Probably about 50% (maybe more ?) of their output is someone else's original tool mate and some of their own earlier stuff can be "interesting"