The Defiant IV, the scourge of the Panzers.

Started by PR19_Kit, June 29, 2020, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The Defiant IV is done and dusted!  ;D

So here we have AA680, a Defiant IV of D Flight, 6 Squadron based in the Western Desert in late 1942. The Defiant IVs were developed specially for the anti-armour role after lessons learnt with the formidable Hurricane IIds. The IIds were very effective in their role, toting twin Vickers 40mm cannon, but proved a little too vulnerable to AA fire at the low levels where they usually operated, their most vulnerable area being the large under belly radiator for the liquid cooled Merlin engine.

The Defiant IVs were fitted with the Napier Epee engine, an enlarged Dagger giving some 1100 bhp at 4000 rpm having an H24 configuration with 4 valves per cylinder, but which was air cooled. This, and the turret mounted behind the cockpit gave the Defiant IVs a considerable advantage over the Hurricane IIds in that they were less vulnerable and the turret gunner could engage any escaping tank crew members. After initial trials with the four standard 0.303" Brownings, later Defiant IVs were fitted with twin 0.5 machine guns which enabled them to take on any soft skinned vehicles as well.

A general 3/4 view, but the 0.5 gunned turret can clearly be seen, as well as the twin 40 mm cannon.

The Epee engine installation. The desert intake filter is mounted in between the two exhaust banks, and is mirrored on the starboard side.

A target's eye view from any Me-109 that would be so unwise as to get this close to the twin 0.5s.

The underside showing the quite bright  Sky Blue camouflage used by C and D flights of 6 Sqdn. Also note the red painted aerial masts of the Defiant. The aft mast retracted in conjunction with the main gear extending to avoid ground contact, and the Defiant IVs had a similar arrangement for the forward mast as the original fixed items suffered from contact on the rough desert strips. (What actually happened is the blasted thing broke off and vanished, leaving only a stub.....)

Unlike the Hurricanes, the Defiant IVs carried two 0.303 sighting guns, one in each wing, giving the armourers a really tough time as they had to load three different sizes of ammunition, 0.303, 0.5 and 40 mm.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

Looks good Kit.

I say you solved all of the issues the build threw at you just fine.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

zenrat

Good job Kit.  Ugly looking critter, I like it.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I do like what you've done with this Kit  :thumbsup:

It does seem to have been a jinxed kit as far as your'e concerned though, odd that you had problems with the undercarriage whilst I sailed through on both of mine, whereas I've really struggled with the undercarriage on all the Airfix Hurricanes I've built  :unsure: And what concerns me is that Arma seem to use the same method of construction.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 18, 2020, 03:40:29 PM

Unlike the Hurricanes, the Defiant IVs carried two 0.303 sighting guns, one in each wing,

My references say that the Hurricanes had sighting guns as well Kit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 19, 2020, 05:46:24 AM

Yes, but only one in the port wing IIRC. Or were there two of them?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

stevehed

Excellent build. I like the engine change. Once wondered what the Finns would have made of the Defiant.

Regards, Steve

chrisonord

Moody looking creature you have created there Kit, it looks like it  could  cause a lot  of pain.  Marvellous  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

I've been looking at this for days, trying to decide if I like it or not & have come to the conclusion it's too ugly to be "likable" but not ugly enough to be "ugly-beautiful". :o

Sorry, Kit. :-\

Still, it's a good build, especially for one that fought you much of the way. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 19, 2020, 06:45:27 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 19, 2020, 05:46:24 AM

Yes, but only one in the port wing IIRC. Or were there two of them?

I've checked both my Putnam's "Hawker Aircraft" and my Crecy "Hawker Hurricane" and they both say two Kit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

drmrhonda580

Love the conversion ! However, as an anti armor a/c wouldn't it be more beneficial to use an air cooled radial (p&w r2800 ?)for better survivability ? as per p-47 / au-1 corsair. I do like the 40mm cannons. :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Any air cooled engine would have done, yes, but when you have a resin Napier Dagger moulding handy and it fits the front end of a Defiant EXACTLY...........  ;D ;D ;D

Regards
Kit