Main Menu

The Wren Type 6

Started by Leading Observer, July 01, 2020, 03:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Judging by the top view on the cover, Attacker.  As I said earlier, go with the Frog/Novo one as it's cheap and whilst the wheel wells are solid, the wing is in top and lower halves, meaning you can cut the well to whatever shape you want from the lower half and it's still got a roof.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 05, 2020, 03:16:20 AM

And I know the immediate answer is "whatever you want!" but what sort of wings are most suitable for grafting onto the MB5 fuselage?

Anything, so long as they're LONGER!  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Nice project. :thumbsup:

As I started to read this, I was distracted by a bird alighting on my window sill. Went to look at it, and it was a Wren! Good omen! :thumbsup:

Quote from: Scotaidh on July 05, 2020, 03:18:27 AM
Off-topic post:

BTW, I bought the book for my Kindle - good read!  Thanks for suggesting it.  Now I have to get the paperback for my dad.  :)

Back on-topic:

I've never approved of mid-engined aircraft  because of the danger to the pilot in a crash landing - crushed between the ground and a ton of hot metal, then set on fire.  Not to mention the problems of flat spins caused by the CG being in the middle. 

No thanks!  I'd refuse to fly it.

Equally off-topic, but I've got a very detailed book on the P-39* Airacobra, and most of the vices it's accused of are myths and legends, or a product of circumstances not technical factors.

*corrected - cheers Kit! :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

A P-38 Aircobra?  :o

That's a Whiff in itself.................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 05, 2020, 05:50:08 AM
A P-38 Aircobra?  :o

That's a Whiff in itself.................  ;D

Airacobra with a chin radiator and a tailwheel undercarriage, the main wheels retracting backwards...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

The navalised version, the Airabonita, had a tailwheel.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 05, 2020, 06:53:28 AM
The navalised version, the Airabonita, had a tailwheel.

Yep, and I've always thought it was the better layout, to be honest.

- Indiana Jones

Leading Observer

Update. Work has commenced. The four-blade prop from a Hobbyboss Typhoon is a perfect match for the front of the P-75 :thumbsup: I have decided not to perform major surgery on the wings - I have neither the time or inclination or skills to carry out the major work involved in mating the Attacker wings to those pf the P-75 :banghead: . Instead I have located some Typhoon cannon barrels in my spares box, so these will be inserted into the existing wing, thus 4 20mm instead of the 6 .50 guns. I have also acquired some Typhoon exhaust manifolds which will be fitted to the P-75 fuselage
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Caveman

Also started reading this book. Really looking forwards to see how it comes out.
secretprojects forum migrant

Caveman

Finished the first story in the Prototypes series and I've gone straight onto the second. Interesting book with some interesting historical characters thrown into the mix. But I was surprised at the minimal description of the aircraft - leaves the door pretty wide open for us though.
secretprojects forum migrant

Leading Observer

Finally got around to a little cosmetic surgery, fitting the Typhoon exhaust stubs

LO

Leading Observer

A little more progress today, with thanks to Dizzy :bow: P-51M build for the idea to use a piece of styrene tube for the prop spinner, as I had been puzzling over how to mate the Hobbyboss Typhoon 4 blade prop to the nose of the Type 6, solved by enlarging the existing aperture in the fuselage to take a piece sawn off a ballpoint pen barrel [ I knew all those pens I've acquired from various hotels would come in handy one day ;D], said piece then mounted to the back plate of the prop, and hey presto, problem solved :thumbsup: Fuselage halves and wings now joined ready for some PSR. I have a couple of aftermarket 20mm Cannon barrels on order, Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC - Hispano Mk.I 20mm cannons and Typhoon Mk.IB early cannons - uncovered barrels, as I couldn't decide which ones I preferred :banghead:
LO

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Leading Observer on September 15, 2020, 08:17:37 AM
A little more progress today, with thanks to Dizzy :bow: P-51M build for the idea to use a piece of styrene tube for the prop spinner, as I had been puzzling over how to mate the Hobbyboss Typhoon 4 blade prop to the nose of the Type 6, solved by enlarging the existing aperture in the fuselage to take a piece sawn off a ballpoint pen barrel [ I knew all those pens I've acquired from various hotels would come in handy one day ;D], said piece then mounted to the back plate of the prop, and hey presto, problem solved :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Leading Observer

Almost there - Undercarriage doors, aerial masts etc to be added and of course decals

LO

PR19_Kit

9 days to go yet, plenty of time.  ;D

Regards
Kit