Main Menu

The FIRST PR19 (maybe....)

Started by PR19_Kit, July 01, 2020, 10:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

What's this? A Meteor with long wings? Surely not, far too impractical...............  ;D

Indeed it is though, and contrary to popular belief (and the CIA.....  ;)) the very first Meteor PR19 wasn't actually the RAF's WS761 as Armstrong Whitworth built a privately funded test vehicle using a standard Derwent engined NF14 from their production line married to Lockheed supplied U-2 wings and tail. This testbed proved the long winged concept to work, and from then on all PR19 parts apart from the engines were manufactured at Baginton.

It's an M'box NF14 with Airfix U-2 wings and tail (at the moment) and a Freightdog nose radome. With luck the wings may get swapped for some similarly shaped items not manufactured by Airfix before the model gets finished though.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Blimey that made me do a double-take, because I was looking through the old PR19 threads just yesterday.

Why?

Well there's an entertaining parody account on Twitter called 'RAF Luton' that posts grossly mislabeled aviation pics and then sits back and laughs while all the armchair experts froth at the mouth and call them all the names under the sun, without once going and looking at their homepage where it's clearly labelled P A R O D Y.... :wacko:

Yesterday they posted a pic of a B-52, taken from above while flying over the desert, and labelled it a 'U-2 fighter' flying over Weston-Super-Mare and photographed from above by an RAF Canberra. I, of course, immediately replied that they'd been taken in by the RAF's decades-old disinformation cover story, and that the picture was actually taken by a top-secret Meteor PR.19 of 13 Squadron... :wacko: :wacko:

The reply gained no traction since I was a bit late in spotting the original post, but if had, I might have been DMing you for permission to post the PR19 drawings (suitable anonymised, of course) as 'proof'... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on July 01, 2020, 10:24:03 AM

Yesterday they posted a pic of a B-52, taken from above while flying over the desert, and labelled it a 'U-2 fighter' flying over Weston-Super-Mare and photographed from above by an RAF Canberra. I, of course, immediately replied that they'd been taken in by the RAF's decades-old disinformation cover story, and that the picture was actually taken by a top-secret Meteor PR.19 of 13 Squadron... :wacko: :wacko:

The reply gained no traction since I was a bit late in spotting the original post, but if had, I might have been DMing you for permission to post the PR19 drawings (suitable anonymised, of course) as 'proof'... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Hehehehe, LOVE it!  :wub:

You've got carte blanche to post any of my PR19 stuff anywhere H.

Everyone else in the world does, so why not you as well?  ;D ;) :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Noted and appreciated Kit. :thumbsup:

Here's today's educational effort from RAF Luton (and me):

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 01, 2020, 10:01:03 AM
What's this? A Meteor with long wings? Surely not, far too impractical...............  ;D

Here we go again................ :mellow: :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Wooksta!

Might as well go with what you do best...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

Much of the fuselage is together, two Pavla early MB bang seats are trimmed and about to be painted and the standard NF14 outer wings have been sawn off awaiting their Lockheed built 'extensions' to arrive from across the Atlantic.

Oh yes, the Freightdog nose has been trimmed and fits perfectly. (Of course.... ;D)

Yet another NF14 is en route via eEbay as I've lost the nosewheel from this one. I think it went onto the black PR19 as that had a breakage at a show a while back. :(

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on July 01, 2020, 10:24:03 AM
Blimey that made me do a double-take, because I was looking through the old PR19 threads just yesterday.

Why?

Well there's an entertaining parody account on Twitter called 'RAF Luton' that posts grossly mislabeled aviation pics and then sits back and laughs while all the armchair experts froth at the mouth and call them all the names under the sun, without once going and looking at their homepage where it's clearly labelled P A R O D Y.... :wacko:

This is almost enough for me to start a Twitter account!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ye gods Harold but there are some real winners
responding on RAF_Luton.
;D :o

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 04, 2020, 11:07:38 AM
and the standard NF14 outer wings have been sawn off awaiting their Lockheed built 'extensions' to arrive from across the Atlantic.

More like the other side of Wellingborough..............

The wings and tail planes are currently with me to be cloned in resin. For some unfathomable reason kit asked for several sets....................
Unfortunately,

kitbasher

Quote from: Martin H on July 06, 2020, 06:26:28 PM
The wings and tail planes are currently with me to be cloned in resin. For some unfathomable reason kit asked for several sets....................

What would you charge for a wing and tailplane set, Martin?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Hehehehe, I KNEW that would happen.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Martin H

Quote from: kitbasher on July 07, 2020, 01:16:44 AM
Quote from: Martin H on July 06, 2020, 06:26:28 PM
What would you charge for a wing and tailplane set, Martin?
No idea yet.
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 07, 2020, 05:32:51 AM
Hehehehe, I KNEW that would happen.  ;D ;)

Smart arse! LOL  ;) ;D
Unfortunately,