Avro Type 690 Leeds - the true story

Started by PR19_Kit, July 02, 2020, 07:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I'm running out of steam, what with four models on the go, two for the current GB and two 'normal' ones, plus one GB build still to start. :(

I've never had to sand a model so much as this Avro Leeds, what with the ZILLIONS of rivets on the Shackleton bits, plus the over size raised panel lines on the York vacform, and I haven't even STARTED on sanding down the inner edges  of the vacform fuselages halves yet, I'm feeling devoid of further will.

I may start on the third GB build as that's NOTHING like anything else I'm doing, as it'll be a car............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

I for one, am looking forward to seeing this one eventuate. :mellow:

McColm

I wish I still had my work bench,  I could probably cut a piece of balsa wood and shape it to your fuselage template. Then add the wings,  engines,  tail fins and landing gear. Yes there would be a fair bit of sanding but the end result would be satisfying.

Old Wombat

Don't burn yourself out, Kit! :o

If you need to, cull your builds, especially where you're trying to fit too many into any one GB. We'll understand! :thumbsup:

(Well, most of us will, maybe not Dizzy. ;))
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Well, I just work on one project at a time...  :rolleyes: Helps to focus.

Scotaidh

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 06, 2020, 12:18:27 AM
Well, I just work on one project at a time...  :rolleyes: Helps to focus.

Me, too.  Some years ago I fell into the trap of trying to do several models "at once", the idea being that whilst that one was glue-setting, I could paint this one, and when that was paint-drying I could do the decals on the other one ... and now I have several models sitting, unfinished, that I really don't like much anymore and have no real desire to finish.  And, why did I do this?  To increase my "through-put" - horrible word, worse idea! 

I do this for fun, so I build at a pace that suits me.  I may not have the production rate of others, but I'm happy with what I do - and isn't that the point of it all? 

Sorry - didn't meant to pontificate.  <embarrassed>

Other than picking one on which to focus, I don't really have any suggestions, Kit.  I dislike PSR, myself - one reason I only do one model at a time is to reduce the amount of sanding.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Nah, the more the merrier.  You just have to be Ok with blowing out deadlines.

;)

You do have nearly three months to finish your builds KIt.  No need to rush.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

As I'm still 'marooned' away from home I spend a lot of time ordering stuff to work with, and they all take time to deliver of course.

I started two of the builds at the same time, the PR19 prototype and the Leeds, and I already had two going as well, the Gnat CC2 and the Defiant IV, and ALL of those needed paints that I haven't brought with me.  :banghead:

So all of them have come to a temporary halt, but I've just come up with some ideas on the car prototype............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Back on the Leeds again today.

One wing's been sawn down and filed to take the Aeroclub aileron, but has yet to be de-rivetted. There may not be enough wet-and-dry paper in the county for that job yet............... :(

Seen here alongside the non-sawn wing for comparison. I've already glued the #2 engine in position as I needed to sort out the main landing gear. As the Leeds was a tail wheel aircraft and the MR3 is a nosewheel type there'll need to be some mods made to the inside of the #2 and #3 cowlings to take the tailwheel main gear stuff.

I've cut down the port fin to make it less 'chubby looking' and I think it looks a lot better now, certainly more suited to the 'long-thin' look of the Leeds. The slimmed down fin on the right and the standard item on the left.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I should have a spare set of Airfix main undercarriage if you want Kit?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Thanks for the offer Alastair, but I have some white metal versions for a Shackleton MR2 en route. Standard Lanc ones are too short by quite a bit as the MR3 nacelles are very deep.

I've just de-rivetted the port wing, and it took over 30 mins and pretty wrecked one my sanding blocks! That FROG styrene is the consistency of reinforced concrete!

What saddens me a bit is some poor toolmaker back in the 60s lovingly cut or drilled every one of those 10500 odd rivets (I counted some and averaged them, yes really.........  :banghead:) and I've just cast all of his work into oblivion.:(

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Really needs the Aeroclub Shackleton u/c which is almost a drop in fit.

I can sort out some spare Airfix Shackleton doors which are vastly superior to ye olde Frog ones and I'll throw in some Lincoln wheels if I can find them.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The SAC set, which is what I have on order, is rumoured to do exactly that, I hope..................

I've never thought of plastic modelling being an 'exercise', but after all that cardio-vascular sanding I'm knackered!  :o

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I think the SAC set is intended for either the Airfix of Revell Shattipusses.  I'll bung the Aeroclub one in a bag and get it in the post tomorrow. That one *definitely* fits the Frog kit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 06, 2020, 06:08:49 AM
The SAC set, which is what I have on order, is rumoured to do exactly that, I hope..................

In my experience their sets are very good, but do tend to just drop into the kit they are designed for. Not sure what they'll do when faced with a different kit. But then your an engineer Kit  ;) :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.