Avro Type 690 Leeds - the true story

Started by PR19_Kit, July 02, 2020, 07:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

That is looking sooooo good. I feel that the result will be worth the angst.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2020, 03:23:36 PM
To show that I really am making progress on the Leeds, here's the various sub-assemblies laid out approximately where they'll be when it's all done.

You can see what I mean about the amount of PSR needed on the fuselage, and in this view you can only see HALF of it!  :banghead: :banghead:

Looking good Kit.
Before I paint it i'll take a similar pic of the Victomic.  I reckon i've got you pipped in the amount to PSR stakes...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's a great pic' Kit. Cam almost feel your pain  ;) It looks so right though  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I'm not sure the umpteen PSR sessions on the Leeds' fuselage are actually getting anywhere. :(

Some of the panels where I extended it still look like Flanders fields after 3-4 sessions of PSRing, most disheartening. And my foam sanding blocks are showing signs of fatigue as well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Prime it.  It'll give some indication of progress.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2020, 05:51:48 AM

Some of the panels where I extended it still look like Flanders fields after 3-4 sessions of PSRing, most disheartening.

Don't forget that in the real Flanders Fields we went from the depths of despair to victory in 4 months  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 30, 2020, 06:00:39 AM

Prime it.  It'll give some indication of progress.

Yeah, I'm doing that between every PSR session. That's how I know it could be better.

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 30, 2020, 06:20:29 AM

Don't forget that in the real Flanders Fields we went from the depths of despair to victory in 4 months  ;)

But the GB will be over by then, I want it sorted in 4 DAYS!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 30, 2020, 06:20:29 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2020, 05:51:48 AM

Some of the panels where I extended it still look like Flanders fields after 3-4 sessions of PSRing, most disheartening.

3-4 months of PSR could get a tad wearisome, methinks. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

I remember it taking a good week to get the Atlantic to a stage where I wanted to paint it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Go buy a sanding mouse with lots of spare pads, that should cut down the sandng to to the point that your waiting on the putty to dry....... Saying that, is it a bit like the forth rail bridge? Apply putty at one end and by the time it has dried you have reached the other end and finnished applying the putty just in time to start at the begining with sanding?  :-\

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

It's just the extended parts that need PSRing now, the joint areas of the vacform have succumbed to my putty and sanding block.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I've been block sanding the Victomic fuselage joint (where I reduced it) with a piece of hardwood wrapped in wet & dry.  I feel this helps me get a smooth joint whereas the give of the spongey sanding pads causes it to remove more of the softer filler from out of the joint.
Same on the wings.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I was (slowly...) coming to the same conclusion, the foam sanding blocks just tend to reproduce the contours that are already there.

You've strengthened my resolve to do that, thanks Fred.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Fred, that worked a TREAT!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip, I've made more progress on sanding it today than on all the previous days put together!

I gave it a first go with some 80 grit wrapped around a bit of 2" x 1" , and applied wet, and then again with some 400 grit wet. After priming it looks darn nigh ready for colour, but I'll examine it really closely in an hour or so.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

AT LAST the PSR on the Leeds' fuselage is done.  :thumbsup:

All thanks to Fred Zenrat's tip about using a solid wood sanding block rather than the foam blocks I'd been using till today.  :thumbsup:

There's a crack developed on an upper corner of the wing root due to the excessive sanding I had to do, but that doesn't matter as the wing will be glued on right there, and it's bound to need some more PSR in that area anyway.

The tailplanes and fins are assembled and their panel lines have been scribed in, and they're looking pretty good, and the starboard wing is having its final PSR session, so some major progress was made today.  ;D

Regards
Kit