Avro Type 690 Leeds - the true story

Started by PR19_Kit, July 02, 2020, 07:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Yes, I've had that from them too.     Having been told by a spotty youth that "They've never made bike tyres  that size, mate", and then found several on their display rack, I've  had excuse number 2.  "It's not on the computer"

I deserved a medal for preventing a murder...........I changed my mind and walked away from the spotty youth.   To be fair to the manager, who heard this exchange, he said "If it's not on the computer, it can't be our stock; so you can take one away for a donation to the air ambulance".  As I left the shop, the spotty youth was receiving advice on his customer service techniques.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 07, 2020, 09:00:33 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on August 07, 2020, 07:35:42 AM

That to me is crying out for tricycle u/c and a back end modified to take a loading ramp plus doors.  Sort of a low-tech Hercules, an alternative to the Hastings?  Maybe if you're going to make some more as indicated, Kit?

That'd be the Avro Cleckheaton.

The later turbo-prop version (4 x Pythons...) was the Avro Pontefract of course.  ;)

I think you mean the Avro Altrincham and the Avro Poynton  ;)

And 4 Pythons?   :o  So the wings reach the destination 2 hours ahead of the fuselage? 

Shackleton MTOW of 39009 kgs was pulled along by 7840 horses.  Neptune MTOW 36240 kgs by 7400 horses.  2 Pythons = 8220 horses, 2 Proteus = 8900 horses.  So the Pontefract/Chadderton could probably manage with 2 Pythons, unless it was the size of a Britannia, in which case yes, 4.  My main 2021 whif project will be a rebuild of an old FROG Shackleton MR3 - re-engined of course - guess what I have in mind?  And if a Neptune could manage on two (except those with auxiliary jets) - and indeed an Atlantique - then why not something built at Woodford?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

Four RR late model Tynes perhaps?   RTy.32  projected military use engine rated at 8,400 hp.    33,600hp should be sufficient for most purposes.   

An Avro Cullercoats, or perhaps post 1960 the Hawker Siddeley Hexham, the Folland Fenham or the  de Havilland Hebburn.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on August 10, 2020, 08:33:54 AM

Shackleton MTOW of 39009 kgs was pulled along by 7840 horses.  Neptune MTOW 36240 kgs by 7400 horses.  2 Pythons = 8220 horses, 2 Proteus = 8900 horses.  So the Pontefract/Chadderton could probably manage with 2 Pythons, unless it was the size of a Britannia, in which case yes, 4.  My main 2021 whif project will be a rebuild of an old FROG Shackleton MR3 - re-engined of course - guess what I have in mind?  And if a Neptune could manage on two (except those with auxiliary jets) - and indeed an Atlantique - then why not something built at Woodford?

When we lived at Topcliffe, when Dad was on 47 Sqdn with Hastings, there were two Coastal Command squadrons there, one on Lancasters (GR3s perhaps?) and one on Shackleton MR1s. Very soon afterward the Lanc squadron switched over to Neptunes, and after a visit to the flight line (as we could in those days...) I was amazed at the sheer size of the Neptune.  :o

But for the life of me I couldn't understand how it could fly with only two engines and my Dad had to spend a long time explaining about different power outputs etc.  ;D

I was only 7-8 at the time though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on August 10, 2020, 09:00:28 AM
Four RR late model Tynes perhaps?   RTy.32  projected military use engine rated at 8,400 hp.    33,600hp should be sufficient for most purposes.   

An Avro Cullercoats, or perhaps post 1960 the Hawker Siddeley Hexham, the Folland Fenham or the  de Havilland Hebburn.

I did have a chucle at the last suggestion although I am really far to young to remember her  :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Knightflyer

Quote from: Gondor on August 10, 2020, 10:27:52 AM

I did have a chucle at the last suggestion although I am really far to young to remember her  :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:

Gondor

I think Hebburn is a place, not a she?  :-\
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Top colour coat's on now. I'm in for an evening of MAJOR masking before I can do the underside.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

There's only so much masking you can do on a complicated airframe in temps like this before you want to throw the  whole darn thing out the window!  :banghead: :banghead:

And I've got that far tonight, the rest will have to wait till the morning when the light is better and it may be a tad cooler.

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I should have bought shares in Tamiya before I started this masking job.

I don't think I've EVER done one that was so complicated and took so long. All in all it took me about 4-5 hours to mask the Leeds up, and in this heat too!

Klearing the edges won't take too long and then I can spray the NMF undersides.  ;D

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

I think you're thinking of the Avro Accrington.

The Hawker Heckmondwike and the Blackburn Barnsley were designed to the same spec IIRC.  I think The Wooksta! can confirm that.

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: