Avro Type 690 Leeds - the true story

Started by PR19_Kit, July 02, 2020, 07:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

It's done, after 10 yrs in the planning and a month and a bit in the building.  ;D

Here's the world's one and only Avro Leeds, it's not my fault that Avro failed to build it for real, is it?   ;)

I give you G-11-11, the prototype private venture Leeds transport, derived from a lengthened York fuselage with Lincoln derived wings, but powered by RR Griffon engines, later to be used on the Shackleton maritime recce aircraft for the RAF. The contra-props were a necessity to absorb the Griffons' power as otherwise the wing would have needed a redesign to move the engines outboard for the larger diameter props. In addition the Leeds fuselage needed to be low on the ground to aid cargo loading, and all the later 100 production Leeds C1 airframes had the aft cargo door fitted as standard.

Why G-11-11? Well, 'll' was Avro's designated B Condition prefix, and the first B Condition number they used in the real world was G-11-12.  ;D

Your normal 3/4 views to show the whole aircraft.

The rear view emphasises the Leeds' massive wing span.

The Leeds' Shackleton canopy, PSR'd into the carved about York nose because the kit York canopy was totally useless. :(

Underside view, again showing how big this thing is.  :o

The #3 engine nacelle showing the excellent Aeroclub white metal and resin landing gear, intended for their Shackleton MR2 conversion.

The twin tailwheels from the same source.

The tail looks pretty 'York-ish', but actually it's a Shackleton tailplane and fins, with the fins narrowed considerably to improve their looks, plus a scratchbuilt centre fin.

It came out OK in the end, but it's really a '2 foot model' and has quite a few shortcomings as built. I'd like to do another one, but by using  a couple of Mach 2 Yorks and an Airfix Sheckleton MR2, but as that'd cost almost £200 it may not happen.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

Ohhh, that looks very good indeed!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Rheged

That is one thundering great aeroplane, and beautifully modelled. I am impressed.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

buzzbomb

Love It :wub:

It has been a great journey following this. Great work.
It strikes me as one of those double take models. That doubt of "have I seen this before in an old aviation magazine somewhere"

Old Wombat

Excellent build, Kit! Despite the trials & tribulations you've pulled this off beautifully! Bravo, mate! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:

(If it hasn't already been Whiffie nominated, it soon will be!)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 16, 2020, 07:46:16 PM
Excellent build, Kit! Despite the trials & tribulations you've pulled this off beautifully! Bravo, mate! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:

(If it hasn't already been Whiffie nominated, it soon will be!)

X2   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Quote from: buzzbomb on August 16, 2020, 05:54:57 PM
...It strikes me as one of those double take models. That doubt of "have I seen this before in an old aviation magazine somewhere"

Second that.  Are you sure it's a whiff Kit?
;)

Looks great Kit.  You've done well beating sanding it into submission.

So did Avro not use G-11-1 to 10 at all?
A complete list of all the Aircraft test serials actually used by the major manufacturers would certainly be very handy for whiffing purposes.
I've been looking into those used by Handley Page and it seems that they started at 1 with G-8-1 and then G-8-3 being assigned to Dart Heralds.  Leaving G-8-2 for me to use on the Victomic.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Hobbes

A great result after all the trials and tribulations  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 17, 2020, 03:42:17 AM

Second that.  Are you sure it's a whiff Kit?
;)

So did Avro not use G-11-1 to 10 at all?
A complete list of all the Aircraft test serials actually used by the major manufacturers would certainly be very handy for whiffing purposes.
I've been looking into those used by Handley Page and it seems that they started at 1 with G-8-1 and then G-8-3 being assigned to Dart Heralds.  Leaving G-8-2 for me to use on the Victomic.

That was the idea, to make people think it's a York, and then go....'Er, um, myabe not......?'

I bought the complete book on B Condition reggies so I can act as a 'clearing house'. There's THOUSANDS of them, and some manufacturers kept on using the same number on different aircraft. :banghead:

No, Avro never did use -1 to -11, except for the Leeds of course.  ;D

I'll check the H-P lists for you later on.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The original York conversion - the *really* rough original Contrail one - pops up now and again for relatively reasonable prices.  I've a built up one (not one I've built but was gifted, I hasten to add) that I'd happily donate.  No canopy though.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic