Lockheed X-27 Lancer

Started by Thunderhead, July 03, 2020, 09:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderhead

My first ever contribution in a group build, and it's gonna need a fair bit of work. Oh well, gotta start somewhere!

A little bit of history for this one, the lancer was a modified version of the F-104 for export, intended to compete with the F-4, F-5, Mirage, and other late 3rd and early 4th generation fighters. Lockheed hoped to capitalize on its F-104 production experience through commonality of parts and systems, and minimize expenses by reusing tooling, jigs and existing factory facilities. Deliveries were planned to begin in 1972, but absolutely nobody was interested.

Starting with a Revell F-104G, I'm gonna modify the model by ripping off its regular wings and giving it a new set. I'll also give it a new set of intakes and a TF-30 engine from the Hasegawa F-14a sitting forlornly in my stash.

And now the last question, who's gonna get saddled with this super lawndart?

NARSES2

Quote from: Thunderhead on July 03, 2020, 09:28:50 PM

And now the last question, who's gonna get saddled with this super lawndart?

Firstly wellcome to the site and the G.B.  :thumbsup:

Secondly don't forget it needs to be finished in prototype markings not operational ones.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

crudebuteffective

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

zenrat

Greetings.
I see a fair bit of PSR in your future.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

I've always wanted to do something like this for quite a long time. I'll be watching this one!

Welcome aboard the nut house express!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Bold debut Thunderhead! Welcome.

Lots of customer countries to consider, maybe Lockheed brought a suitcase full of money and "forgot" it the airport hotel....

Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

DogfighterZen

Sounds interesting... Welcome! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

jcf

The X-27 designation for the CL-1200 is an interesting bit of jiggery-pokery, basically Kelly Johnson
got the Air Force to fund two prototypes for a private venture export aircraft by declaring them
'research aircraft' and assigning an X number. He also tried to use it to finagle his way into the LWF
program.

Remember that for the purposes of this build the model can't be in a regular service scheme with
squadron markings etc., it needs to be identifiably in a prototype or company scheme of a some
sort.

Thunderhead

Thanks for the roaring support guys, It's really encouraging to see that a lot of people are interested in my build idea.  ;D

I've decided that the model is going to be completed as an X-27 prototype for the USAF rather than the later CL-1200-2 version that was offered to basically everyone. The main reason for this is that the LWF proposal used enlarged rounded intakes that would be difficult to make with plastic card, and I'm not too keen on buying a new kit to butcher for parts. Meanwhile, the box intakes are easier to handle and give a nice change from the normal look of the F-104. I may still give it a fuselage extension and put it in as an alternative to the CL-1200-2 LWF prototype, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. As far as painting goes, I've found that the X-27 mock up was painted white, while the LWF mock up was given a bare-metal finish. Neither will really work as a nice prototype scheme, so I'm gonna give the aircraft a more applicable scheme of white with red wingtips and stabilizers similar to the prototype F-15 and F-18. I'll make a rough mock up in paint of the eventual scheme just to see if it works.

In terms of actual work, I've already cut away the old F-104 intakes and I've started on the cockpit. I'm gonna start the facelift here by adding in an MFD or two on the instrument panel. I've also ordered some sheets of 1mm thick plastic card and a couple of tubes of filler.

Cobra

Welcome to the Land of Drteams,Confusion,and Nuttery ;D ;D ;D Good luck with Your Build! Dan

kerick

I've got three Starfighter kits in the stash for just this sort of project. One of these days!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Anything happening on this one? If it's not ready for the group build it can be placed in a regular thread.
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

IIRC, there's also the "semi-official"/somewhat standardized "F-104-with-F-100-wings-and-a-low-tail" kitbash that runs under the F-109 handle:

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=43985.msg774258#msg774258

Reminds me that I want to tackle one, too, all parts are already in The Stashâ„¢.

Thunderhead

Quote from: kerick on October 18, 2020, 08:54:00 PM
Anything happening on this one? If it's not ready for the group build it can be placed in a regular thread.

It's still going, but it won't be done in time by the deadline for the group build. It'll still be finished, but it's probably best to move this thread somewhere else.

NARSES2

Would you like me to move it to the Current and Finished Builds section ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.