DONE @p.2 +++ 1:100 VF-X non-transformable VF-1 Valkyrie prototype (Macross)

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 06, 2020, 12:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

The second build for this GB will be more exotic - but it fits so well into my model collection and this GB that I have to tackle it, even though it might not look too spectacular in the end. I will try an interpretation of the so-called VF-X, the non-transformable prototype of the iconic VF-1 Valkyrie mecha from the Macross TV series. The basis will be a vintage 1:100 VF-1A in Fighter Mode kit from Arii, and there's even some official reference/artwork that shows the VF-X:

1:100 VF-X (VF-1 "Valkyrie" prototype) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

This is the original concept art, found in the "Macross Perfect Memory" source book from 1983. Shows some nice detail, but leaves the aircraft's livery (wide) open to speculation, since it AFAIK did not appear in the series.

However,  in another, more recent source book ("Variable Fighter Master File - VF-1 Valkyrie", Softbank Publishing, 2009) dedicated to the VF-1 in specific I found this:

It's a digital simulation/CG rendition of the VF-X prototype, unfortunately I cannot read or speak Japanese to read the details.  :-\ I am not sold on this livery, though. While the scheme reflects the original concept drawings for this aircraft and details match quite well, I do not think that the trim would be black. My personal bet is rather the real world F-15 prototype(s), which fits the VF-1's conceptual era much better, and this suggests dayglo trim over a light grey aircraft:

I think I will into this direction with the model, even though.  :mellow:

Dizzyfugu

I did some legwork and found out that the VF-X actually appears in the Macross TV series, in episode #33:

nighthunter

Dizzy, you could always argue that the black is a post trials active duty version of the VF-X, or they made more than 1, which is common.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Well, the black trim is the "official" livery - but I will go for the "more prototypes are better than one" route, because the VF-1 program was - in the Macross timeline - rushed through in about two years! The VF-1 was, AFAIK, also under development while the VF-X was undergoing flight tests, so my modewl will depict a more colorful sister ship from the program. Similar livery and hardware, but a personal (and more whiffy...) interpretation.

Work has started on this one, progress is good. While the core kit remains, a lot of things change, especially surface details which disappears and/or have to be re-scribed.

As a side note, I realized with slight terror that this is my 28th(!!!) 1:100 VF-1 in Fighter mode in my collection...  :blink:

nighthunter

Cool! You're giving me inspiration to work on my 1/144 versions!

Dizzyfugu

Dizzyfugu

Day 3: more PSR and finishing touches to the hardware.
As a late addition I gave the mode a scratched spin recovery parachute container to the tail, in order to emphasize the test object nature of the VF-X, as well as a long sensor boom to the nose.
Painting will probably start today, with an overall coat of light grey from a rattle can.

Macross +++ 1:100 Stonewell/Bellcom VF-X "Valkyrie" prototype; aircraft "03"; during flight tests, South Ataria Island (南アタリア島, Minami Ataria Shima), summer 2007 (modified Arii kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Macross +++ 1:100 Stonewell/Bellcom VF-X "Valkyrie" prototype; aircraft "03"; during flight tests, South Ataria Island (南アタリア島, Minami Ataria Shima), summer 2007 (modified Arii kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

nighthunter

Dizzyfugu

Not much happened yesterday, except for the rattle can painting. Still cannot make my mind up about how to apply the dayglo markings? Decals? Spraying (rattle can)? Brush?  :-\

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.