FrankenCOIN - ‘Hawker Siddeley P.1183’

Started by kitbasher, July 06, 2020, 02:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Mentioned in a blog update, a mashup with a long and convoluted evolution.

An age ago I stared to convert an IPMS Nederland boxing of the old KP Spitfire IX into a Spiteful - fuselage modified, nose cut off to take a Griffon, wings to come from a FROG (or NOVO) Attacker, tail end from a Pegasus Spit 24.

Anyway none of that came to pass, grand plans to do all sorts but none cane to plan but along the way discovered that the front end of a Harrier fitted nicely, and a couple of jets could be fitted.

Anyhow, bag of scrap parts languished in a shoe box fir an age.  The advent of the P.1154(ish) threw up some ideas and more parts.  Add this GB and the FrankenCOIN idea was born.

Progress pics to follow, but so far: cockpit faired over with plastic card and filler applied; FROG Me262 engines attached to the fuselage; one Spiteful wing attached (ta Lee); basic tail boom attached; initial filler session.  Heller Bobcat front fuselage dry fits well.

So, having hummed and ahd about mockup v prototype at the mo I think the former.  Why?  The Bobcat cockpit is very simplistic, so I reckon representations of seats, etc, are enough for a full-size mockup displayed at a 1970s Farnborough air show.  May still revert to a prototype, time to decide.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Progress up to and including the previous post (T4 front end and GR3 fin/rudder placed not glued into position):

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

I'd have NEVR thought of combining a Spitfire with a Harrier!  :o

That's starting to look very possible Dave.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Thanks Kit.

Second wing attached, some work on the cockpit.

Gondor

I would have fitted the wings above the engines so that more could be hung under them but it looks good so far

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

I thought the other thing was ugly but this is taking the cake, eating it and coming back for the after dinner mints and coffee.

Engines above the wings give them a bit more protection from groundfire.

I'd square off the wingtips so they look a bit more like Seahawk wings or add tip tanks to leave a extra pair of underwing hardpoints free for extra lethality.  Rework the nose with a laser designator for a higher coolness factor, which only goes up with underwing Paveways.

Finally, make sure it gets a good few coats of Halfords primer.  I don't think the resin was that good on the casting given the colour.  It should have outgassed by now, but a few Halfords coats should make sure.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Thanks chaps.

Engines - also FOD protection.  In the so-called 'real world' the Su-25 and Il-42/Il-102 have overwing nacelles.  As for the stores, fair call but in my head this is something a bit punchier than a Strikemaster/A-37 but certainly not in the A-10 class.  Counter-insurgency not tank busting.

Tip tanks I'm mulling over already, a rummage through the spares box will be necessary.  Had just relocated the Harrier T4 nose this avo so that's the laser rangefinder sorted. 

Thanks also Lee for the primer tip.

The Wooksta!

Frog Sea Venom wings could be handy for tip tanks, or the smaller ones from a Hunter.

Or go with wingtip mounted sidewinders.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Weaver

I like it! Ugly is good... :wacko: :thumbsup:

One point: aren't the engines the wrong way around? The 262 engine pods are longer ahead of the wing than behind it, and, IIFC, the intake end of the pod is a little wider than the exhaust end.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Nice, even though this does not properly describe it.  :thumbsup:

Reminds me of a kitbashing I did many moons ago, also with Me 262 nacelles (replacing the originals):

1:72 Mikoyan-Gurewich MiG-SPB (NATO Code 'Flintstone'); "08 Red", 201st Independent Shturmovaya Air Squadron, Shindand Airbase, Afghanistan, 1982 (Whif/Kit-bashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

kitbasher

I lied.  The Su-25's wing roots are above the engines, the Il-42/Il-102 not quite under the nacelles.

Yep the 262's nacelles are longer at the front, however.....

Wingtip 'winders maybe, but prefer tanks at the mo.

Nice pic, Dizzy!

kitbasher

Second wing needed reattaching, not quite in the right place.  Had contemplated Bobcat Harrier T4 tailplanes but on reflection they're best straight not swept.  So a pair of Matchbox P-51D tailplanes from the spares box will be used.

Donor kits currently stand at FROG Me262, Spiteful wings from The Wooksta!, KP Spitfire, Heller Bobcat Harrier, Airfix 1st gen Harrier GR3, Matchbox P-51D.  Further spares box rummaging to follow for undercarriage, pylons and stores!

The Wooksta!

If you've got an Eduard Spit, you should have two spare sets of u/c straight off.  And wheels.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

A bit more filling today.  Tomorrow I plan to do more work on the cockpit and some sanding down.

Hopefully by the end of the week the nose, tailplanes/fin can be fitted.

jcf

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The engine location is reminiscent of the Clunk.