1/48 1999 Eagle - Tactical Edition

Started by Madhatter, July 07, 2020, 12:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madhatter

Hi everyone

I've been a bit quite on the forums lately and that's because I've been spending more time building and less time writing. I had to take a break from the relentless detailing of the Star Destroyer (which I will go back to because I want to see it done), and so for the past month or so, I have been away quietly building my 48th scale 199 Eagle. I've long loved the design of this ship and have dreamed of having a kit of this as a boy when I saw it in an old Airfix catalogue but just never bought one until a couple of years back when I saw one of these going relatively cheaply instead I clearly grabbed one.
Naturally, me being me, I also was never going to paint it like the show. Then I saw The Admiral's build (http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=17378 ) and it's inspiration from him that got me going on mine. So I naturally borrowed/stole his cockpit idea and subsequently made my own poorer copy.
However, it reinforced my previous desire for a non standard white Eagle, so I came up with the most obvious option: paint it in black! Everything looks good in black right?!
Painted in Tamiya NATO Black, flat black and German grey and something else to. The engine stuff is all painted in bare metal just because I thought it would look cool. That general concept is prevalent throughout this whole build really
I'm going to blow my own horn here and state that I am super happy with how this came out. Yes - after taking the photos I realised that there are some paint issues to fix that have alluded me prior to now but they are easily fixed and TBH, I'm not going to take another series of shots to show them fixed. It's been hard enough to get enough light to take even these pictures. Love Melbourne weather! At any rate, you'll get the idea from the following pics :D

and this is my rudimentary cockpit which I shamelessly stole from Bill. Thanks again mate!!

I can't paint faces to save myself, so I sprayed shaped pieces of masking tape silver followed by clear red and a mist of clear orange. It looks much better to me
The screens behind them are decals which I cut up and stuck onto the back wall with a  hole behind it where fiber optic stubs had been inserted into the side panels - all lit by a single SMD each side. The red cockpit glow is a standard but sanded 5mm LED. It looks good against the black.

Well, that was a fun build in so far as that I didn't have to make details for anything. Like I said, I'm super happy with this. I think it looks seriously cool, but that's just me
Anyways, thanks for stopping by and having a look.
Si

AeroplaneDriver

That is absolutely stunning. 

One of my favorite Sci-Fi ship designs too! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

Very cool.  :thumbsup: I cannot help it, but in black the Eagle has a certain Star Wars look to it?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Awesome work.. Somewhere along the line that black works very well

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 07, 2020, 01:06:45 AM
Very cool.  :thumbsup: I cannot help it, but in black the Eagle has a certain Star Wars look to it?

Yes, an imperial Eagle.

Very good.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

That's super-cool: I love it! :wub:

Do you mind if I post some of the pics to Twitter? There are some Space 1999 fan accounts that I'm sure would like it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 07, 2020, 01:06:45 AM

It really does, exactly what I was thinking

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Madhatter

thanks guys
Star Wars feel huh? hmmm, hadn't really thought of it in that light.
Someone on another forum said the only thing missing was orange windows and John Player decals. I'm not sure if he's indicating that the colour choice is tacky, cliched or other. Regardless, I really like it in black. Looks so much more bad donkey.

Madhatter

Quote from: Weaver on July 07, 2020, 07:38:28 AM

Do you mind if I post some of the pics to Twitter? There are some Space 1999 fan accounts that I'm sure would like it.

yeah that's fine  :thumbsup:
Thanks for asking

Austanker

Weaver

Quote from: Madhatter on July 07, 2020, 03:19:31 PM
Quote from: Weaver on July 07, 2020, 07:38:28 AM

yeah that's fine  :thumbsup:
Thanks for asking

It got some appreciation. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Madhatter

Quote from: Weaver on July 14, 2020, 12:36:52 AM

It got some appreciation. :thumbsup:

That's good to know - thanks mate. I'm sure it will be a bit divisive with the hardcore fans. If it's not white it's not canon  :wacko:  :rolleyes: