The Italians show what can be operated from a Carrier deck

Started by rickshaw, July 11, 2020, 12:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Gondor

Needs a ] between  [Url and http so it starts [Url]http

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

You learn something new every day.  I didn't know that a) Italy had carriers and b) they operated Harriers.

I must admit I was slightly disappointed that the light trainer didn't use the ski jump.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

A clever ship, the Cavour, it carries landing craft as well as aeroplanes!  :thumbsup:

Of course the Harriers showed how it SHOULD be done later on. To quote the late John Farley 'It's easier to stop and land than it is to land and stop.....'  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Like to see him do that with the same load out & fuel load as the Harriers, & manage the same/similar top speed. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Well done

The US Marines would on occasion operate OV-10 Broncos off flat deck US Navy LHA's without catapult or arresting gear.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 11, 2020, 11:14:51 AM

The US Marines would on occasion operate OV-10 Broncos off flat deck US Navy LHA's without catapult or arresting gear.

There's a vid of a couple of Broncos doing that somewhere. I tried to find it on YouTube but without success. :(

And isn't there some pics of a Bird Dog landing on a carrier too?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2020, 03:15:06 PM

There's a vid of a couple of Broncos doing that somewhere. I tried to find it on YouTube but without success. :(

And isn't there some pics of a Bird Dog landing on a carrier too?

Major Buang escaped South Vietnam by flying his Bird Dog to the USS Midway- with the wife and kids on-board!

https://www.historynet.com/maj-buang-lys-daring-feat-to-save-his-family.htm
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 11, 2020, 03:21:39 PM

Major Buang escaped South Vietnam by flying his Bird Dog to the USS Midway- with the wife and kids on-board!

https://www.historynet.com/maj-buang-lys-daring-feat-to-save-his-family.htm

What a fantastic tale, I knew I'd seen something about it somewhere.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Has anyone operated a Pilatus Porter from or to a carrier?
I did a search but found nothing.
Given (according to Hollywood) Air America operated them during the South East Asia Police Action of the late sixties I would have thought they might have tried.
As we have seen on film they can land in their own length on the side of a mountain, so a carrier should be no problem.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I wonder if anyone has tried a Caribou?  I've seen one land and take off from a Parade Ground.  It was pretty spectacular.  I've been inside one which did a slightly longer take off.  That was "daunting" was the right word, I think.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

JCF posted this pic of Ryan Navion on a carrier deck in my Mustang F-6H thread a while back.

Apparently it's aboard the USS Leyte.

Regards
Kit

Vlamgat

Didnt an islander/defender land on and fly off Ark Royal without traps and cats?
Makes you wonder if the defender aew Could have been viable flying off Invincible...

Weaver

Nice video!

Totally off on a tanget: I wonder why one of the Harriers had it's drop tanks on the inner wing pylons, but the other one had them on the mid-wing ones?

Cavour can stow army vehicles on it's hangar deck and off-load them onto a dock via ramps, but it doesn't have a floodable stern well like the USN's assault ships (LHAs).It thus can't directly support an amphibious landing: it's more of a logistics capability.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones