Recycling! Nuclear Missiles as space launch vehicles

Started by scooter, July 17, 2020, 04:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Scott Manley discusses US nuclear missiles (Peacekeeper and Minuteman II) repurposed into orbital launch vehicles
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Problem with that idea would be the age of the solid rocket boosters. When they got old the propellant gets unstable and can blow up. I was at the Utah test and Training Range quite a few years ago and watched a Minuteman motor be destroyed by burning it. (biggest cloud of smoke ever!) Apparently they have an expiration date. Same for other solid fuel motors like Polaris and Poseidon. Nice idea if you can make it work.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

'Sorry Mr. President, we can't launch a retaliatory strike, the rocket motors have gone past their 'best-by' date...................'  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Quote from: kerick on July 17, 2020, 07:59:05 PM
Problem with that idea would be the age of the solid rocket boosters. When they got old the propellant gets unstable and can blow up. I was at the Utah test and Training Range quite a few years ago and watched a Minuteman motor be destroyed by burning it. (biggest cloud of smoke ever!) Apparently they have an expiration date. Same for other solid fuel motors like Polaris and Poseidon. Nice idea if you can make it work.

They have made it work. Seven Peacekeeper missiles have been used to launch satellites so far (under the Minotaur IV program), for example. It's simple enough: when the expiration date approaches, take the missile out of service, check it and use it to launch a satellite. A more useful EOL than burning it at a range.