Supermarine Seafire Mk 47 RAN FAA

Started by zenrat, July 19, 2020, 04:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Supermarine Seafire Mk 47.  RAN FAA Nowra August 1955 - Auster Killer

Supermarine Seafire Mk 47 RAN FAA - 18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

On 30 August 1955 excitement was caused by a runaway civilian Auster Archer J-4, which had taken off from Bankstown airport, without anyone at the controls. Apparently the pilot had dismounted to restart the engine by hand. One flick of the propeller – and away went the aircraft down the runway and into the sky. 
Needless to say the situation was causing the authorities some concern. But a nearby RAN Auster from Nowra was making its way to nearby Schofields aerodrome and the pilot, (Commander J. Groves, RN) offered to trail the runaway Auster, which was heading across town towards Sydney CBD. After watching the errant aircraft for over an hour, the RAN Auster had to break-off from the chase as it had been airborne for more than three hours.

Supermarine Seafire Mk 47 RAN FAA - 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The runaway aircraft was watched carefully as it headed towards the Sydney CBD, with Sydney radio stations broadcasting minute-by-minute reports on its progress.  Fearing an uncontrolled crash into a populated area, the authorities called in the RAAF who scrambled a Wirraway from Richmond airbase to shoot down the delinquent Auster using a hand-held Bren Gun.
By now the pilotless aircraft had managed to fly across the city to Manly where it turned north towards Palm Beach. Flying into a steady breeze it gained altitude – to around 9,000 ft. Here the air tends to be cold and as the gunner in the rear of the Wirraway was to find out, it was very cold. In fact so cold he was unable to change magazines on his Bren gun after his initial shots failed to stop the Auster.
With the Wirraway retiring from the scene, the RAAF sent two Meteor jet-fighters from Williamtown to intercept the Auster. They soon caught up with it, but because the Auster was only doing about 60 knots, the pilots found it difficult to position for a shot. Adding to the frustration the first Meteor's guns jammed – having fired only a few rounds, and the second didn't shoot at all.

Supermarine Seafire Mk 47 RAN FAA - 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Meanwhile, at the RAN air station at Nowra,  two 805 Squadron Seafire aircraft had returned to base after checking out girls on Bondi Beach. The Seafires were piloted by Lieutenants Banjo McPilot and Bruce Bruce. Both aircraft were quickly loaded with 20mm ammunition and the pilots were briefed to fly back to Sydney.
Flying north the two RAN Seafires arrived on the scene shortly after the RAAF Meteors broke-off their engagement. As a precaution, to ensure the Auster Archer was empty, McPilot lowered his flaps and undercarriage to check the cabin, as a report suggested a schoolboy may be onboard.

Supermarine Seafire Mk 47 RAN FAA - 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

After ensuring it was empty McPilot repositioned his Seafire behind the Auster, now flying at about 10,000 ft and some distance out to sea. He fired a short burst from his 20mm cannons, knocking it out of a turn. Bruce, in the other Seafire, then fired from a beam-on position, causing the Auster's cockpit to burst into flames. Badly damaged, the Auster nosed-down in a slow spiral. McPilot followed with another burst from his cannons, sending it crashing into the sea.
With apologies to https://www.faaaa.asn.au/heritage-sea-fury-anecdotes/

Supermarine Seafire Mk 47 RAN FAA - 19 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model.
Special Hobby Seafire Mk 47 built OOB.
Auster Killer transfers by Red Roo Models (intended for Sea Fury).

Supermarine Seafire Mk 47 RAN FAA - 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The incident detailed above actually happened.  I only changed the pilots names and the aircraft they flew - the actual Auster killers were Sea Furies.
I see from my photos that a heavy landing has collapsed the suspension the tail wheel.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Excellent build, Fred! :thumbsup:

(But you did allow the real McPilot's name to creep into the narrative. ;))
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I was thinking 'Bruce BRUCE'? You HAVE to be kidding, and you were.  ;D

But the Seafire looks MAGNIFICENT! A lovely model, well done Fred.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Looks very good indeed, that scheme really suits it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

chrisonord

Very nice Fred :thumbsup:
I have the same kit ,  mine will be ex fleet air arm  and operated by the RAF  in North Africa  in the fifties.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 19, 2020, 07:02:56 AM
I was thinking 'Bruce BRUCE'? You HAVE to be kidding, and you were.  ;D

But the Seafire looks MAGNIFICENT! A lovely model, well done Fred.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Must have studied Philosophy at the University of Woolamaloo.

And ditto with what everyone else said.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 19, 2020, 05:25:50 AM
Excellent build, Fred! :thumbsup:

(But you did allow the real McPilot's name to creep into the narrative. ;))

It was a test to see if you were paying attention.  Well done.
;)

Quote from: chrisonord on July 19, 2020, 04:30:04 PM
Very nice Fred :thumbsup:
I have the same kit ,  mine will be ex fleet air arm  and operated by the RAF  in North Africa  in the fifties.
Chris

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you can build Spitfire Marks 22 & 24 or Seafire Marks 46 & 47 from the one box.  I am about to order a second one as I want to build an NMF Spit 22.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

chrisonord

I am no expert on all things spitfire and sea fire, but I am sure Lee will point you in the right  direction there Fred. To my untrained eye, they are both near as damn it.
Chris

zenrat

Have a closer look at the sprues Chris.  One of them has engraved on it what types it builds.  I have chucked mine into my big box of old sprues for recycling or I would do it myself.
There are certainly both Seafire and Spitfire rudders (two of each) as well as two sets of horizontal stabilisers, two different pairs of radiators, two sets of cannon barrels and both five bladed and contra props.
I'm not sure if Spits 22 & 24 had the camera ports in the fuselage so one might have to fill them if one were doing a RW build.
Fred

chrisonord

I will keep the camera ports on mine  as part of its job description, I am  tempted to  put a load of  rockets under the wings too. I will have a look at what is in the box  when I remember  and see what is what.  :thumbsup:
Chris

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 20, 2020, 03:41:06 AM
Have a closer look at the sprues Chris.  One of them has engraved on it what types it builds.  I have chucked mine into my big box of old sprues for recycling or I would do it myself.

Fred the fuselage and wing sprues are marked Seafire 47, the other two sprues are marked Spitfire 21,22,24 on one part and Seafire 45,46,47 on another.

I also have the SH Spitfire Mk 24 and that has different fuselage and wing sprues. The obvious difference is the lack of camera port and I think there's a difference with the radiators.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

zenrat

Thanks Glen.

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 20, 2020, 06:47:57 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 20, 2020, 03:41:06 AM

Fred the fuselage and wing sprues are marked Seafire 47, the other two sprues are marked Spitfire 21,22,24 on one part and Seafire 45,46,47 on another.

I also have the SH Spitfire Mk 24 and that has different fuselage and wing sprues. The obvious difference is the lack of camera port and I think there's a difference with the radiators.

Thanks Kit.  IIRC Spit 21/Seafire 45 were high back fuselages.  Looks like SH have designed the kit so they can produce any of those six marks by simply changing the fuselage and wing mouldings.
The clear sprue has parts for both high and low back canopies.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 21, 2020, 02:27:42 AM

Thanks Kit.  IIRC Spit 21/Seafire 45 were high back fuselages. 

Yup

Does my name change mean I have to start wearing a hat ? ;)  :angel: