What-If SIG meeting 2020?

Started by Nick, July 20, 2020, 09:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Just an idea I had late last night after a large rum and coke...

Is there any interest in the members of this SIG meeting up in person later this year?
It wouldn't be until September or October, maybe November if SMW gets cancelled.

We could hire a meeting room somewhere like Midlands Air Museum at Coventry, sit apart from each other and have a distanced gossip but face to face.
That or a pub in London?

PR19_Kit

I like that idea, we'll have LOADS of new models to show as well.  ;D

I'd only manage the Coventry venue though, I really don't like London these days. :(

I'm due to give an APT lecture in S Wales in October and they reckon they'll be OK for me to do it then as they only have maybe 25 members likely to come.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Sounds a good idea, Nick.

Pub in London would be a good idea - drinkies (if all used public transport) but that would probably kibosh models.

Coventry would mean models to show off, most would probably be driving (I can offer lifts if needed) so booze would be out (I guess).

Weekday or weekend?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Martin H

Nice idea.
The Midland Air Museum has become our defacto real world base of operations over the years.

But they have had to put in some fairly tight restrictions on numbers thanks to covid.
At the moment they have had to limit their newish education centre to a bakers dozen inside at any one time.
All to keep the health Gestapo & local council off their backs.

If Telford does go the way of the Dodo this year then certainly an option to consider. Also depending on the local situation at that time.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Nick

Drinking or driving?
Well, if this becomes the only model meet I get to this end of the year then I might find a hotel in Coventry and go out for the evening.

As you say Martin it's all about the local situation. We have to consider how many can get into whatever meeting room we find. And the risk of local lockdowns as seen in Leicester and Blackburn.

I probably won't look too hard at this until September. If anyone has an idea where we could meet put it out there. Doncaster, Coventry, we could even go to Telford and blag cheap rooms in November if SMW gets cancelled!  ;D

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

Sorry to say, I'll probably have to skip it.  :banghead:

My company's talking about running a 4-day week for the next year at least in order to reduce compulsory redundancies to the minimum. I can live with it, but only if I radically reduce my expenses by such means as not driving long distances to model events... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

It's certainly a good idea Nick, well done for coming up with it  :thumbsup:

I'm more than happy with Coventry and would probably stay over night as well.

Anyway the situation is still pretty fluid in terms of what will be going on next week, let alone in 3 months time or so, but it's pencilled in the diary
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Freightdog862

I'd quite like to come to the Coventry option if/when SMW gets cancelled. I missed my annual fix at the museum with the June show being cancelled, and a two and a half hour drive each way is manageable in a day for me.

Will keep an eye on this thread in September for more news.

Colin

Howard of Effingham

As I live within walking distance Martin, it would be rude for me not to come.

I will let Richard know if you haven't texted him about such already.

Great idea!  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

Martin H

Ive had a conversation with the Museum management at Coventry.

Providing we agree to stick to the restrictions they have had to put in place the meeting is very much a live project.
The date that I have penciled in with them is Saturday 7th November (what would have been the first day of SMW)

We wont be using the old education centre portacabin like we did in the distant past. we will have use of the much newer Argosy centre which is much bigger and more comortable. Its located behind the Canberra PR3.
The room hire for the whole day has been quoted as £100. And that has been heavily discounted from its normal rate.

There can be no more than 13 of us on the day due to the restriction in place on numbers in the room at any one time.
So that room hire fee works out at just under £8 each if we get the full 13 people on the day.

Masks will be required inside all the buildings on the day. Unless eating/drinking.

Unfortunatly I wasnt able to talk the folks at MAM into giving us free entry to the museum. The events of this year have hit them hard income wise so every penny counts at the moment.

The museum cafe is not doing hot snacks at the moment but will be open for "take away" tea, coffee, cold snacks etc. So it might be advisable to bring your own pack lunch or similer. There is a hot water urn in the room, I will ask if we can make use of that and do our own hot drinks.

Any one wishing to do any plastic bashing on the day will be able to do so, as each person will have a table to them selves

We should also be able to have a central table for finished models to be displayed. I might even dig out the display stand for an airing........

And if Colin is still interested in attending, I see no reason why he cant partake in emptying our wallets in exchange for his wares.

Once we have agreed to go ahead I will firm up the booking with MAM and open up a list for those attending.
I will need contact details for contact tracing if needed (a mobile number will do)

So are you lot up still up for this?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on September 18, 2020, 04:01:26 PM

So are you lot up still up for this?

You BET we are!  :thumbsup:

That's brilliant news OGL, well done for all your work on the project.

Presumably any Joe & Jane Publics at the museum that day won't be able to come and view our stuff if we already have the maximum number of people there, right?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

In all probability I'm ok for it Martin.

Need to see how things turn out re transport and hotels given the current health situation, but more that happy to cough up a tenner even if I can't do it in the end. As long as someone writes a 2 page report for the Newsletter  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Good work Martin. I am interested in being there (as it was partly my idea  :lol:).