1/350 scale USS Wisconsin BBG-64 Missile & Railgun Battleship

Started by seadude, August 07, 2020, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

For the last few weeks, I've been planning and beginning to build two 1/350 scale battleship projects. Both of which are Iowa class what if builds.
The main one I want to talk about is building a what if future Iowa battleship, circa 2020's or beyond.

I started painting the main hull and used Vallejo Model Air Color paints. The hull is blue below the waterline based on an actual experimental anti-fouling paint that the TICONDEROGA class cruiser USS Port Royal once had for testing purposes. The color should be "slightly" darker, but I couldn't find the right paint to use, so I went with Vallejo Model Air Color #71.089 Light Sea Blue.

This blue hulled Iowa BB will have a heavily modified Arleigh Burke type superstructure added to it. Since it will be a "future battleship", I am hoping to have 2 (or 3) railgun turrets in place of the older 16"/50 gun turrets. I also want to have possibly 2 anti-missile, etc. laser systems (One fore and one aft.) similar to the experimental system that the US Navy ship USS Ponce tested on board as well.

But having railguns and laser systems means that these things need a lot of power to operate. More than what the regular old fashioned boilers and systems on an Iowa BB can provide. So........I need to go nuclear propulsion/systems. But, that means there's no need for the two Arleigh Burke type smokestack funnels. And that's going to be a pain to cut off and such.  :banghead:  Or.....I thought about maybe if this ship had a CONAS (Combined Nuclear & Steam) system similar to what the Soviet KIROV battlecruisers have? Possibly keep the first funnel behind the bridge structure as is to vent smoke and gases, etc.. But then, what do I do with the second funnel? I thought about maybe modifying the second funnel into some sort of large missile launcher similar to what the Space Battleship Yamato had? (See picture below with yellow circled item.)

So, what do I do with the funnels?
1. Keep funnels as is and have regular boilers and propulsion systems.
2. Cut both funnels off and go nuclear?
3. Go CONAS and have forward funnel for venting of smoke, gases, etc., and modify aft funnel into large missile launcher aka Space Battleship Yamato?
4. Other idea?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

scooter

My two cents- CONAS, and cut of the forward funnel, and vent out the aft funnel.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

lenny100

go  conas and use the forward funnel as the base of a large forward mast, got the same kit myself and turning it into a large soviet super battleship based on the iron man novel by john watson. using a slava class upperworks with some of the original Iowa also
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

sandiego89

Gas turbines for the extra kilowats.  Keep the funnels. 

Gas turbines can provide a good deal or surge power, and are well proven. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

I don't know what to suggest regarding your questions, but that blue is very striking.  It looks great.
It's what people will notice first and then go, "but hang about, there's more going here than just a paint change..."
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Why not go CONAS and leave the aft superstructure off entirely? It's basically just a funnel with two f/c radar platforms and one weapon platform on the back. If it doesn't have SARH SAMs then it doesn't need the f/c radars anyway.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

How about CoNAS, keeping the aft funnel & increasing the size of the forward funnel into a sensor tower as per the RN Type 45 (Daring-class) destroyers or USN Zumwalt-class.

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

Go nuclear, but keep the funnels, using them as towers for your laser emplacements.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

seadude

Long time, no see. How's it going, folks?  :cheers: Thought I'd show some progress on a what if future hybrid battleship project I'm currently working on.
Hopefully, the link will work and take you to pics of my build. The pictures are self explanatory with descriptions of what I am doing.
https://imgur.com/gallery/VCk0Gk4
I hope to have this model done sometime late summer or early fall in time for some contests later this year.
Comments, questions, and critiques are welcome.
P.S. - I'm using the 1/350 scale hull from a TAMIYA New Jersey battleship and 1/350 scale parts from an Arleigh Burke destroyer.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Ooh, 1/350 ships! :lol:

Good to see you back, seadude! :thumbsup:

Build looking impressive, so far! :thumbsup:

seadude

Thanks.

One thing I am looking for suggestions on is how to build up the spot where the laser defense system is supposed to go in this picture.
https://i.imgur.com/jczP6iA.jpg
I wanted it to be in the same spot where the aft Mk.37 director was. But when I started building all the angled surfaces with styrene sheet, I think I screwed up that particular spot. And now I need to figure out how to build it up.

Old Wombat

When you say "build up the spot where the laser defense system is supposed to go", is your intent to raise the entirety of the current section higher or just to raise the mounting point of the LDS? :unsure:

The latter should be quite easy; just a length of styrene tube should do the trick.

The former, I fear, may be close to impossible without a complete re-do of the entire aft section of the superstructure.

NARSES2

Good to see you back with such an impressive beast  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 13, 2021, 06:25:53 PM
When you say "build up the spot where the laser defense system is supposed to go", is your intent to raise the entirety of the current section higher or just to raise the mounting point of the LDS? :unsure:

The latter should be quite easy; just a length of styrene tube should do the trick.

The former, I fear, may be close to impossible without a complete re-do of the entire aft section of the superstructure.

I think I've got it fixed now. I'll try to have a new pic ready later this week for you to see.

Old Wombat