1/350 scale USS Wisconsin BBG-64 Missile & Railgun Battleship

Started by seadude, August 07, 2020, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

Old Wombat: So, does this look any better? It's the best I could come up with. Still have to build the port side yet. The starboard side will probably be left open so viewers can see inside the enclosure. The port side one will be closed........maybe?

I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself with this, but I was just thinking about it. :rolleyes:

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

RHIB box looks about right, now. :thumbsup:

Life rafts; as many as you can fit, wherever you can fit them.

Battlewagons have big crews, even modernised & automated ones, & you have to plan for most or all of the crew surviving, whilst taking into account the fact that a sinking ship has probably taken considerable damage & that some of the life rafts are casualties of that damage.

seadude

Could use some opinions on the following.
Smaller CIWS guns, or 57mm guns,.......or both?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

scooter

I say keep the Phalanxes.

USS New Jersey, looking forward (Starboard side, IIRC)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

seadude

Quote from: scooter on June 27, 2021, 03:36:14 PM
I say keep the Phalanxes.

While I'm sure that might be nice, I'd rather not use the standard Phalanx CIWS systems. Phalanx just doesn't seem to be as effective nowadays in defeating anti-ship missiles. RAM, C-RAM, and ESSM are now currently the main anti-ship missile systems being used. Which is why I have two RAM missile launchers amidships, and the VLS cells could pack dozens of ESSM missiles.
What I really need is a smaller gun system against surface targets like fast attack boats for example.
I don't have enough Mk.110 57mm guns. I only have three, not four. :(
I only have two Mk.46 30mm guns. Not four. :(
So........this is where the other scratch built guns come into play as shown in the pics as I have enough of those.

Old Wombat

I suppose a twin Goalkeeper CIWS is out of the question? :wacko:

buzzbomb

Metalstorm type mount maybe ?

Like this, but more developed  ;)
In the Weapons of Choice series of books, Metalstorm mounts were the anti-missile mounts on the ships.

It is another one of those Techs that is already out there, but not quite there yet.

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 28, 2021, 03:01:29 AM

Yes, it is out of the question. As in, definately OUT. I was under the impression that Goalkeeper was being phased out in a lot of countries? Even the UK doesn't use it anymore.

Quote from: buzzbomb on June 28, 2021, 05:53:43 AM
Metalstorm type mount maybe ?
In the Weapons of Choice series of books, Metalstorm mounts were the anti-missile mounts on the ships.
It is another one of those Techs that is already out there, but not quite there yet.

Uh......no thanks.

seadude

I feel like I'm running into a brick wall.  :banghead:

I need at least four 30mm guns for my hybrid battleship I'm working on.
But I only have two guns from each of the kits as shown in the pic below.
The Bronco one seems overly large.......both the housing and the barrel. Way out of scale.
The Trumpeter gun housing seems decently sized, but the barrel is way too short.
The Orange Hobby gun housing also seems decently sized, but the barrel is also "slightly" short.
I suppose I could use both the Trumpeter and Orange Hobby guns, but scratch build new barrels for both?
Otherwise, any other suggestions?
And herein lies the problem of measurements. Let me explain.
I've seen two different barrel lengths:
Wikipedia gives the Bushmaster barrel length at approx. 95 inches. In 1/350 scale, that's almost 7mm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk44_Bushmaster_II
Navweaps gives a gun length at 134 inches. In 1/350 scale, that's almost 9.7mm.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_30mm_BushmasterII.php
Who the hell is correct?  :-\
If worse comes to worse, I guess I could switch to using the Millennium Gun. But I'd rather not as it's not a system used by the US Navy.
Link: https://www.shapeways.com/product/9JTL7KASD/35mm-oerlikon-millennium-gun-1-350

Old Wombat

Quote from: seadude on June 28, 2021, 09:34:20 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 28, 2021, 03:01:29 AM

Yes, it is out of the question. As in, definately OUT. I was under the impression that Goalkeeper was being phased out in a lot of countries? Even the UK doesn't use it anymore.

Yes, they're & replacing them with guided missiles (RIM-116 RAM) & the Leonardo DART (Driven Ammunition Reduced Time-of-flight) 76mm guided munition.

Re: the Bushmaster; Go with the NavWeapons version, as that's the naval Mk.46 version they give the stat's for. The wikipedia article gives the stat's for the Mk.44 vehicle mounted weapon.

seadude

I'm trying to add a small enclosure at the aft end of the ship. But I'm not sure what style doors to use for closing up the openings. For those familiar with the Type 45 Daring class destroyer, are the doors that cover the boat stowage area roll upward on a track system, or do they open accordian (foldable) style similar to what's on an Arleigh Burke ship?
Also, any thoughts to adding a control booth and radar instrumentation on top of the enclosure are appreciated.

seadude

Ok, a little more progress this afternoon. You know, if things keep going fairly well with this beast, I can see myself getting another WHIFFIE award next year.  :rolleyes:  Who knows, maybe Best Ship again?  ;D ;D

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Not much new. Progress is a bit slow right now as I need to buy some photoetch and other materials before continuing.
This is it for pics until.........whenever?