1/350 scale USS Wisconsin BBG-64 Missile & Railgun Battleship

Started by seadude, August 07, 2020, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

crudebuteffective

Quote from: seadude on June 30, 2021, 09:28:14 AM
I'm trying to add a small enclosure at the aft end of the ship. But I'm not sure what style doors to use for closing up the openings. For those familiar with the Type 45 Daring class destroyer, are the doors that cover the boat stowage area roll upward on a track system, or do they open accordian (foldable) style similar to what's on an Arleigh Burke ship?
Also, any thoughts to adding a control booth and radar instrumentation on top of the enclosure are appreciated.

Doors on type 45 boat house roll into the roof not concertina style
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

seadude

Quote from: crudebuteffective on July 05, 2021, 10:10:20 AM
Doors on type 45 boat house roll into the roof not concertina style

Thanks. Appreciate that.  :thumbsup:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Tiny update for today. Not sure if the SPG-49 radars will work for my needs or not? What do you guys think? Should I use something else?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Both look pretty good as analogues of a laser unit, although the SPG-49 looks more like the Dewey's laser system.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

lenny100

shouldn't put more gun up forward as there is little room underneath the deck for the mags etc , the 40mm did not penetrate below the deck lvl
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

seadude

Been giving some thought to countermeasures systems on my model. Not sure if I'll add some or all? But since this is a what if fantasy ship, maybe it might be better with all due to the increased use of anti-ship cruise missiles?  :rolleyes:

seadude

Quote from: lenny100 on July 16, 2021, 08:51:39 AM
shouldn't put more gun up forward as there is little room underneath the deck for the mags etc , the 40mm did not penetrate below the deck lvl
Actually, I'm not worried about it. And neither should you be. This is a what if fantasy ship I'm building. It can be whatever my crazy mind wants it to be.  :wacko: There's no rule that says it has to be "technically believable". Below is a drawing of the interior spaces on a 1980/1990's Iowa class battleship. Crew quarters were below the area where the original 40mm guns had been. If I add guns to the bow area of my model, I can just say that the crew quarters were switched to some other area and some of the below space was used for 30mm gun purposes. My model is a whif. Therefor, anything goes.  :thumbsup:

seadude

Somebody either had to be asleep or drunk when they designed and manufactured the DRAGON 1/350 scale USS Sullivans, Arleigh Burke destroyer kit. PARTICUARLY THE RADAR MAST!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
But..........thankfully I was able to build a decent second one after the first one I built didn't work out.

Old Wombat

Good to know these things! :thumbsup:

I have an Arleigh Burke (Also, The Sullivans, I think) that I'm going to be building as a RAN modified Arleigh Burke ........ Maybe!? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 22, 2021, 02:44:59 AM
Good to know these things! :thumbsup:

I have an Arleigh Burke (Also, The Sullivans, I think) that I'm going to be building as a RAN modified Arleigh Burke ........ Maybe!? :unsure:

I have an old Panda Models 1/350 USS Arleigh Burke model kit. And I have two DRAGON 1/350 USS Sullivans, Arleigh Burke destroyer kits. The parts for all these kits are very similar/same. Not only were there gaps on the Panda Burke radar mast, but also gaps on both DRAGON Burke masts.  :o
I was thinking of building one of these kits into a regular Arleigh Burke destroyer months down the road. Now I'm not so sure I want to with the way the radar masts are.  :-\

seadude

No new pictures for awhile. :( But here's some fictional information for my what if hybrid battleship.
Granted, this may change during the course of construction of my model.
Now if you're wondering if anything on this model makes sense or if the U.S. Navy had or currently has plans for a future battleship remotely like this, I have one word for you: Don't.

Don't try to make sense of it.
Don't take it too seriously.

Almost everything on this model is not "technically believeable". Well, maybe a few things are like the 5"/62 gun mounts on the sides of the ship,
or the SLQ-32 ECM below the bridge wings since both of those items are real in U.S. Navy service. But for the most part, this model is all about creativity, imagination, and having fun. Building models straight from the box and following instruction sheets is too boring for me. So I needed to let my imagination go wild, use up a bunch of spare parts, add in a bunch of scratch building, and create a fantasy what if battleship for future 21st century navy service.
Also, if anybody thinks I based my model on the hybrid battleship that was very briefly seen in the 2021 movie "Godzilla vs. Kong", then you are mistaken. I started initial planning for this model way back in 2018 which is 3 years before the Godzilla vs. Kong movie came out.

SPECIFICATIONS: (Provisional)

USS Kentucky BBG-66 (Might change the name later, but not sure?)

3x Three-gun main turrets.

2x ODIN laser defense systems.

14x Mk.60 Vertical Launching System (VLS) pods for any combination and/or amount of the following missiles: (9 missile cells per pod. 126 total.)
* RIM Standard missile (Anti-air, anti-ship, or other variants)
* BGM-109 Tomahawk land attack cruise missile (or other variants)
* RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (Anti-air and/or anti-ship missile defense. 3 missiles can fit in a single cell.)
* RUM-139 VL-ASROC (Vertical Launch Anti-submarine rocket)
* VLS navalized version of the AGM-158C Long Range Anti-Ship Missile
* VLS navalized version of the U.S. Air Force AGM-183 hypersonic missile weapon.

4x launchers for RGM-184A Naval Strike Missiles (4 missiles per launcher. 16 total.) or 4x (Optional) launchers for RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missile. Four missiles per launcher. 16 total.

2x RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) launchers for anti-ship missile defense. (21 missiles per launcher.).

4x Mk.45 Mod.4 5"/62 cal. guns

6x Mk.46 30mm gun weapon system for defense against small, high speed surface targets.

2x Mk.38 25mm machine gun system (MGS) for defense against small, high speed surface targets. (More can be added as needed.

8x .50"/90 M2 Browning machine guns

2x three-tube Mk.32 surface vessel torpedo launchers for Marks 46, 50, and/or 54 torpedos.

6x Mk.53 NULKA decoy launching system.

2x Mk.36 SBROC (Super Rapid Bloom Offboard Countermeasures Chaff & Decoy launch systems)

8x (4 pairs of 2.) Mk.59 Chaff Buoy Decoy System

2x AN/SLQ-32V6 electronic warfare system

4x AN/SLQ-59 electronic warfare system

1x SLQ-25C NIXIE towed torpedo decoy system or AN/SQR-19 tactical towed array sonar

AN/SPY-1D 3D radar (4 panels)

AN/SPS-67(V)2 surface-search radar

AN/SPS-73(V)12 surface-search radar

AN/SPG-62 fire-control radar

AN/SQS-53C sonar array

Landing pad only for SH-60 or MH-60 helicopters, and/or MQ-8B Fire Scout UAV's.

.........plus many other systems which are too numerous to list.

scooter

Quote from: seadude on July 27, 2021, 09:21:56 AM
1x SLQ-25C NIXIE towed torpedo decoy system or AN/SQR-19 tactical towed array sonar

Why not both?  IIRC, the Perry-class frigates were able to stream both at once.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng