1/350 scale USS Wisconsin BBG-64 Missile & Railgun Battleship

Started by seadude, August 07, 2020, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Still slowly making progress. Pics are self explanatory.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

PART 1 -
I'm still trying to get used to using Imgur. Hopefully all the links/pictures work and such. If they don't, then let me know.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

seadude

Old Wombat

Pictures are good! :thumbsup:

Build is good! :thumbsup:

Popcorn is good! [but we don't have an emoji for that :-\]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Very impressive  :thumbsup:

And I don't like popcorn  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 18, 2021, 11:38:26 PM
Popcorn is good! [but we don't have an emoji for that :-\]

Well, maybe it's about time we added one! Especially during the WHIFFIE awards.  ;D

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 19, 2021, 06:21:26 AM

What's not to like about popcorn?  :o

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on June 19, 2021, 07:13:21 AM

To sweet for my taste. I never had a sweet tooth even as a nipper.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 20, 2021, 05:55:54 AM

Sweet? :o

What's "sweet" about butter & salt? :unsure:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 20, 2021, 06:18:50 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 20, 2021, 05:55:54 AM

Sweet? :o

What's "sweet" about butter & salt? :unsure:

Fair enough, but my introduction to popcorn in the UK of the 60's was of it smothered in treacle and other exceptionally sweet condiments. It was something you bought your girlfriend at the pictures and was probably the only place you saw it ? Although I think Woolworths sold it at one stage.

seadude

More progress below. And........I need some advice to the second picture I posted in Reply Post # 15 way further above. I'm not sure what to do for 25mm and/or 30mm guns that I had mentioned. Any suggestions?

Old Wombat

I'm looking. I'm thinking. But nothing is coming to me, right now. :-\

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 20, 2021, 07:14:31 PM
I'm looking. I'm thinking. But nothing is coming to me, right now. :-\

:( :( :(

In other news..........the one thing that can kill this model project.  :banghead:
Let me pose a question to everyone: What type, style, etc. of main gun turrets would you have on this ship if you were building it?
Electromagnetic railgun turrets?
Laser gun turrets?
Plasma cannon turrets?
Single barrel turret?
Double barrel turret?
Triple barrel turret?
Or something else?

Trying to find some sort of futuristic looking main gun turrets for this ship is becoming a major headache. I'd love to have turrets that looked like either of the first two pics as shown below. But I don't know of anybody near me that does 3D printing.
I asked a local hobby store that tends to get a lot of Gundam and sci-fi stuff in if they could order for me the following (See last picture below.): Kotobukiya MSG Modeling Support Goods Weapon Unit # 39 Artillery Cannons. Basically, you get two single barrel large cannons in a package. To have a turret with three barrels on it, I'd have to buy 2 packages. To have three 3-gun turrets, I'd have to buy 5 packages.  :o If the hobby store can't get these in for me, then I'm screwed.
I've tried looking on Shapeways as a backup alternative. But nothing there is to my liking. And whatever that "might" look good is in some odd scales which might not work.

buzzbomb

One vote here for Railgun. The tech is already out there.

Old Wombat

Yeah, I agree. Railgun, at least the tech is out there &, as you're using current tech for the secondary & light weapons, I'd stick with something less sci-fi than plasma cannons.

Number of guns is more difficult but, if I recall correctly, railguns can only be mounted singly, as the EM effects interfere with each other if there are two or more.

However, you may advance a theory wherein EM interference has been negated & two can be mounted in a single turret, but I wouldn't go further than that ... Lots of electricity needed to fire a railgun!