LF Models

Started by Weaver, August 09, 2020, 07:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on August 10, 2020, 05:13:42 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 10, 2020, 04:35:22 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 10, 2020, 04:25:41 AM
I swear Kit, if a flying saucer landed in Buckingham Palace yard tomorrow, your first words would be:

"Oh I remember that lot - I fixed their hydraulics for them when they landed in the field near my house in 1962..."

;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:

As to helicopters, the only time I ever travelled in one, the driver reckoned that the safe load was a SHORT verbal message; but that was in a Wessex when I was involved with Lake District mountain rescue in late 1974.

Well I did.

Their hydraulic fluid was USELESS for trans-galactic flight, far too high a vapour pressure. I swapped it for some good old Esso NUTO 45.  ;D ;)

And now they're back to complain because they got fined for a safety violation due to Esso NUTO 45 not being space-travel rated, and because it was substituted by a non-spacecraft-certified fitter...  ;) ;D

It's worth pointing out that British Railways were actually granted a UK patent  for a flying saucer in March 1973

.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4801928.stm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_flying_saucer

https://allthatsinteresting.com/british-rail-flying-saucer

In these circumstances, Kit might very well have held appropriate  engineering certification.  There's a lot more going on  under that hat  than initially noticed.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Oh goodness, that was Charles Fredericks' madcap project.

NOT something I was closely associated with when I was there, I might add.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on August 10, 2020, 09:56:16 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 10, 2020, 05:13:42 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 10, 2020, 04:35:22 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 10, 2020, 04:25:41 AM
I swear Kit, if a flying saucer landed in Buckingham Palace yard tomorrow, your first words would be:

"Oh I remember that lot - I fixed their hydraulics for them when they landed in the field near my house in 1962..."

;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:

As to helicopters, the only time I ever travelled in one, the driver reckoned that the safe load was a SHORT verbal message; but that was in a Wessex when I was involved with Lake District mountain rescue in late 1974.

Well I did.

Their hydraulic fluid was USELESS for trans-galactic flight, far too high a vapour pressure. I swapped it for some good old Esso NUTO 45.  ;D ;)

And now they're back to complain because they got fined for a safety violation due to Esso NUTO 45 not being space-travel rated, and because it was substituted by a non-spacecraft-certified fitter...  ;) ;D

It's worth pointing out that British Railways were actually granted a UK patent  for a flying saucer in March 1973

.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4801928.stm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_flying_saucer

https://allthatsinteresting.com/british-rail-flying-saucer

In these circumstances, Kit might very well have held appropriate  engineering certification.  There's a lot more going on  under that hat  than initially noticed.

Rumours abound about what one might see were he ever to take it off:

1. His head goes right up inside it to the top,
2. He has a third eye in the middle of his forehead,
3. Both.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sandiego89

Does anyone know what the two lumps are on the starboard side of the H-5G from Mossies post?  Looks like the rescue hoist is on the port side.

I have a soft spot for early helos.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

IIRC the forward one is a bulge to enable a stretcher patient to be carried sideways across the cabin. RAF Sycamores had a similar setup.

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 28, 2021, 02:21:07 PM
IIRC the forward one is a bulge to enable a stretcher patient to be carried sideways across the cabin. RAF Sycamores had a similar setup.

IIRC the Airfix Scout had a couple of bulges you could add (P/S) for that very reason.

Martin H

Ive only just seen this hence the length of time before I commented.

Ive got both kits in the stash, and they are in no way related.

Ive already tried to build the LF kit, Lets leave it at it isnt a kit for the faint hearted. Beleave it or not the Mach2 kit is more buildable!
The AMP kit in comparison looks a lot better and easier to build than the LF kit.

Quote from: Mossie on August 10, 2020, 12:53:57 PM
Buses...

AMP have done some as well, both in 1/72 and 1/48.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=362366&product_type_id=all_aircraft_kits&code=&scale_id=&keyword_search=Sikorsky&setPerPage=100&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

Thought they might be related to the LF kit but the sprues seem to be completely different.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Just noticed this: LF are doing a pair of 3D-printed Martin MP-1000 Pescadors in 1/48th scale.
AFAIK this is one of only two (I think) Argentinian missiles to ever go into production (the other was the Mathogo anti-tank missile).

It was a very simple thing, similar to a scaled-down Bullpup, with manual command-to-line-of-sight guidance. Real-world applications included the T-28 Trojan, MB.326 and Pucara. It wasn't exported and wasn't used in the Falklands War, largely because it's use involved flying straight at the target at short range. The name means "Kingfisher".
Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITEFA_MP-1000_Martin_Pescador

Obviously if you're doing any kind of Argentine Whiff, this is an excellent way of making it "more Argie" apart from just paint and decals. AFAIK the only other uniquely Argentinian aircraft weapon was the EXPAL bomb, which Freightdog do.

Hannants link: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LF3D4809

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

elmayerle

I'm sorely tempted to use a pair to arm and Argentinian "matador" since Hawker-Siddeley did attempt to market the Harrier to Argentina.  Are they also doing a 1/72 version?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Leading Observer

Those could be scaloramed onto a 1/72 aircraft as a sort of standoff missile
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Mossie

PR19_Kit

About ruddy time! We've only been waiting 30-40 yrs for a 1/72 scale Wasp!

I built one from a Scout and an Alan Hall article in Airfix Mag a zillion years ago, but it was rubbish compared what could be done now.

Regards
Kit