Fokker T.V. (Early)

Started by NARSES2, August 11, 2020, 07:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I thought I'd post up some initial shots of my next project the Valom 1/72 Fokker T.V. (Early). Mainly to see how my new p.c. deals with photos, so please forgive me if my initial sizing is wrong.

Anyway looks a nice kit on the sprues and some initial test fitting is positive. I'll be doing her as Hungarian AF on the Eastern Front sometime in 1943 after the German's sold those they'd captured in 1940 to them.

Box Art

The sprues

The options

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

The T.5 would certainly also work well in a contemporary RAF livery?

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 11, 2020, 07:47:36 AM

Indeed Dizzy. I'm not sure if any escaped to the UK or not, I need to check.

The background in the kit says that the initial specification was for an aircraft that could fill both the medium bomber and fighter roles, but that was soon discarded.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Netherlands East Indies colours instead of the Martin 139/166?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

chrisonord

Have you got a suitable sized swear jar thee too Chris  ;D
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Leading Observer

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 11, 2020, 07:54:36 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 11, 2020, 07:47:36 AM

Indeed Dizzy. I'm not sure if any escaped to the UK or not, I need to check.

Surely they must have got to the UK in some Whiffworld version of events?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

zenrat

Quote from: chrisonord on August 12, 2020, 02:17:04 AM
Chris

I know you can't always tell by looking at photos but it doesn't look too bad.  Certainly not as bad as the Lockheed XFV Salmon which is my only experience of building a Valom kit.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 12, 2020, 05:08:34 AM

I know you can't always tell by looking at photos but it doesn't look too bad.  Certainly not as bad as the Lockheed XFV Salmon which is my only experience of building a Valom kit.

That's pretty 'orrible, isn't it? But even so it's a lot better than the few other 1/72 Salmons.

I still have the remains of an Airmodel vacform Salmon somewhere. 'Remains' because I stamped on it after spending many hours trying to build it...................  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on August 11, 2020, 08:18:46 AM
Netherlands East Indies colours instead of the Martin 139/166?

Nope, she will be Hungarian with the Dutch upper colour scheme and RLM 66 lower services. I have two of the forthcoming Azure/Fromm Martin's on pre-order by the way  ;D

Chris

Quote from: zenrat on August 12, 2020, 05:08:34 AM
Chris

Early Valom were truly awful, but their recent stuff has been reasonable, but we shall see  :angel: However they do seem to have gone on a pretty steep learning curve since the early days. Shame because they do some neat stuff.

philp

Watching this as I have one in the stash that will be real world with the triangle National markings.
Was tempted by the old Aviation Usk version years ago but the interior and guns in that vac kit were the wrong scale.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

I'll be starting it as soon as the current heat wave comes to an end. I'll try to remember to post updates

Wurgerman

I see it as a Luftwaffe transport in the Stalingrad air drop. Nice white colour scheme.

Wurgerman

NARSES2

Quote from: Wurgerman on August 13, 2020, 12:55:07 PM
I see it as a Luftwaffe transport in the Stalingrad air drop. Nice white colour scheme.

Wurgerman

I know what you mean and I did consider Luftwaffe, but I wanted to keep the original 3 colour upper camouflage which is why I chose Hungarian.

NARSES2

As mentioned in my Blog I've started a little preliminary work on this whilst waiting for paint to dry elsewhere.

The first thing I would say is to study the instructions first as they are not the clearest in the world. However once you get a basic grasp of Valom's iconography, numbers in boxes are stages, in circles are part No's and then the various letters for plastic/resin/PE/acetate, they are o.k.

The parts themselves are not numbered on the sprue, nor are they in any logical order on the sprue. Part 1 could be next to part 27 which is next to part 3 etc. However there is a numbered sprue guide, but it can be a case of hide and seek. So I've cut out all the parts I require for the interior, other than the very fragile ones, and I will clean them all up before proceeding. I think it's a case of the less haste the more progress in the long run.

One thing I have noticed about the parts is that some of the injection moulded ones are tiny, but very well formed with no flash  :thumbsup: Getting them off the sprue could be fun, but we shall cross that bridge when we get there.

Resin is still included for the engine and a couple of other parts. I do wonder why when looking at the overall quality of the sprues ? Maybe they already have the engine parts for other kits ? Or maybe they think "if we add resin and P.E. we'll get a better review" ? Whatever, hopefully more progress in the coming week, but I have a few domestic chores lined up.

comrade harps

I'll be interested in seeing what you make of the it. I've seen this in the shops and been momentarily tempted before remembering what I've heard if other Valom kits.

Hope it goes well.
Whatever.