Fokker T.V. (Early)

Started by NARSES2, August 11, 2020, 07:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Thank you.

I'll hopefully get back to work on the bench this coming week. Had a bit of an enforced hiatus, explain once I get through it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hotte

NARSES2

Having finished the Thunderbolt I'm hoping to get back to this latter in the week, but I've a couple of hospital appointments over the next 10 days or so plus a number of household things scheduled, all of which were put back due to Covid restrictions. Mind you they may get put back again  :angry:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Right finally got a little bit done on this. Just a bit of cleaning up and then fitting of some of the interior bits and pieces. Most of which will be invisible n the finished model I think, but as the old saying goes "I'll know they are there"  :rolleyes:.

Very first impressions ? It's certainly an improvement on their first kits  :angel:. Parts need a little more clean up then most mainstream manufacturers kits, but nothing a sharp blade and sandpaper can't deal with in short time. Most of the smaller parts have a tiny ridge all around the part which is obviously where the two halves of the mould met, but it's not a problem. Fit so far has been good although careful study of the instructions is necessary and sometimes you need to refer to a latter stage of the instructions to be sure how a part is intended to fit. Finding parts can sometimes lead to a bit of a search as some don't look exactly like they do in the instruction's illustration, although there is a numbered sprue tree diagram. One part that was labelled in their "system" as being on the plastic sprues was actually on the etched fret and it wasn't an alternative part. I think sometimes they change their minds halfway through a project and forget to tell whoever is doing the instructions ?

So far it's been a nice build, but I will be taking it slowly.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 26, 2020, 06:01:33 AM
although careful study of the instructions is necessary ....................................................One part that was labelled in their "system" as being on the plastic sprues was actually on the etched fret and it wasn't an alternative part. I think sometimes they change their minds halfway through a project and forget to tell whoever is doing the instructions ?

Mea culpa, I didn't follow my own comments  :-X The parts I couldn't find (the control columns) are made up from a plastic part and an etched one. Now this is referred to as part No 2a in the instructions (section number 2) which shows where they fit. The construction of part 2a is shown in an inset box labelled "2a" which I missed. As it happens I used a small piece of plastic rod to reinforce the etched part anyway so achieved the same result. Never the less it wasn't their error, it was mine.

A little bit more done today on some sub-assemblies and some priming of parts I won't be able to get to easily when I come to prime the completed interior.

One of these was the props. Individual plastic blades, resin hub detail and a plastic boss. A combination to gladded the heart of any masochist  :mellow: I really don't like these types of assemblies, still they went together quite easily mainly because I drilled a few holes in the hubs and didn't trim the waste stub on the end of the blade, thus this became the pin that fit into the hub  :thumbsup: Mind you I'm still not sure I got the blades the right way round ? Mind you I never am  :-\

I'm going to print out a poster for the wall in front of my modelling desk ; "Slow Down : Modelling is NOT a Race"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 27, 2020, 06:15:10 AM

I'm going to print out a poster for the wall in front of my modelling desk ; "Slow Down : Modelling is NOT a Race"

It is during a One Week GB!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Yes it is! Between getting all the kits in the stash built & terminus est! Currently, I'm losing! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

<snip>

One of these was the props. Individual plastic blades, resin hub detail and a plastic boss. A combination to gladded the heart of any masochist  :mellow: I really don't like these types of assemblies, still they went together quite easily mainly because I drilled a few holes in the hubs and didn't trim the waste stub on the end of the blade, thus this became the pin that fit into the hub  :thumbsup: Mind you I'm still not sure I got the blades the right way round ? Mind you I never am  :-\

Because
a) I have moved many, many times over the course of my life, and

b) leaving my models behind is not an option, and

c) sticky-outy bits like prop blades & u/c break off no matter how carefully packed, I decided at an early age that all my aircraft will be built in "flying" mode, and

d) clear plastic discs always look like clear plastic discs, I have always just removed any blades molded to the hubs, fill & smooth the resultant holes in the spinners, and call it a day.

I would love it if kit manufacturers took note of this and included solid spinners in their kits.

I know it'll never happen, but I live in a dreamer's world.  :)  I don't suppose any aftermarket company actually does this?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 27, 2020, 09:00:30 AM

Yes it is! Between getting all the kits in the stash built & terminus est! Currently, I'm losing! :o

I raised the white flag on that one year ago, strangely calming  :angel:

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 28, 2020, 01:09:46 AM

d) clear plastic discs always look like clear plastic discs, I have always just removed any blades molded to the hubs, fill & smooth the resultant holes in the spinners, and call it a day.

I have vague memories of a kit manufacturer including clear plastic "spinning props" in their kits year ago, but I could just be becoming delusional ? It's the glue you know  :rolleyes:

NARSES2

I get the idea that this is going to be one of those kits where you spend ages on an interior which will never be seen again, but once that's finished the rest of the build will move quite quickly ?

I also ordered some transfers for this today as I discovered I didn't have a any suitable ones. Also dug my Hataka paints Netherlands' AF paint set out in preparation to start getting some paint on it. They include the interior light grey colour in the set  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2020, 06:59:57 AM

I have vague memories of a kit manufacturer including clear plastic "spinning props" in their kits year ago, but I could just be becoming delusional ? It's the glue you know  :rolleyes:

Renwal I think, but JCF will know I expect.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2020, 07:19:35 AM

MPC did it with their Airfix rereleases under their label.  I had several.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

Quote from: philp on September 28, 2020, 09:31:31 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2020, 07:19:35 AM

MPC did it with their Airfix rereleases under their label.  I had several.

:thumbsup: Cheers mate, glad my memory was correct

NARSES2

As mentioned elsewhere I finally got back to the bench for an hour or so today and made a little more progress on the interior bits and bobs. I get the feeling that it's these sub-assemblies that are going to take the time with this kit.

I've decided to set this out as a "virtual" SMW build and get it finished (hopefully) for 5th November when it would have been packed up ready for Telford in an ideal world  :-\