Marconi Avionics' other FASS concepts

Started by kitnut617, August 14, 2020, 07:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

That's assuming that 8 Sqn would have got them, not necessarily the case.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

good enough for what I want though   ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Madhatter

Just came across this one and I really like it - as ugly as those bulbous add ons are
I'm particularly taken by the A400 body with the A310 nose - that looks really cool. I know that's not you main project but you should go with it as well if you haven't already.

kitnut617

Quote from: Madhatter on August 21, 2020, 12:24:19 AM

I'm particularly taken by the A400 body with the A310 nose - that looks really cool.

But it's the other way around, A400 nose and A310 body.  Or am I missing something ?  Besides, what parts I have left for the A400 will be used to make a 'stretched' A400

EDIT: I'm missing something and just realize what you're referring to, here's another pic of my rough field airliner, an A310 with A400 wings.

and another showing where I attached the wheel bay sponsons.

buzzbomb

The Wooksta!

Didn't know Airbus were using Lego for their undercarriages!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Madhatter

Oh I see now  :thumbsup: It was the head on shot that made me think you'd grafted the A310 to the A400. Regardless, that still looks really cool. It kind of reminds me of an AN-22 but with a single tail and a better looking nose

Hobbes

I did some digging on possible sqn markings for the AEW Nimrods, didn't find much though, so I went with 8 sqn for my AEW Britannia.

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 21, 2020, 03:48:28 PM
Didn't know Airbus were using Lego for their undercarriages!

Ever since the Danish government became a major shareholder...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on August 22, 2020, 01:42:38 AM
I did some digging on possible sqn markings for the AEW Nimrods, didn't find much though, so I went with 8 sqn for my AEW Britannia.

Yeah, that's what I've found too, after reading Lee's comment I went looking for what else there might have been.

kitnut617

Quote from: Madhatter on August 21, 2020, 05:30:27 PM
Oh I see now  :thumbsup: It was the head on shot that made me think you'd grafted the A310 to the A400. Regardless, that still looks really cool. It kind of reminds me of an AN-22 but with a single tail and a better looking nose

The two aircraft's fuselage diameters are very close to being the same -- in 1/72 scale -- and when I started it, it seemed like a fairly easy conversion. Yeah! Right! Silly me ---- it got quite involved especially around the sponsons ---

Because the A310 fuselage is completely round in cross-section, but the A400 Fuselage is only round for about 80% of it's cross-section (it has a flattened bottom) I had to completely redo the sponson to fuselage connection as you can see in this series of pics. The reason for that is that the nose wheel bay is lower, so the bottom of the sponsons have to be lower to keep everything on an even keel.

kitnut617

The idea for the rough field airliner came about after I had visited a diamond mine way up north in the NWT close to the Arctic Circle, I was flown there in a 737-200 and we landed on a gravel runway there. At any one time there is 2500 people working there and they rotate every two weeks or so, the 737 visits every day bringing in 100 odd people then taking a 100 odd out later in the day. I thought what was needed was a bigger airliner capable of landing on gravel runways --- so I came up with this concept.

zenrat

Nice work on the sponsons.
Much neater than the bucket of putty method I would have used.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

kitnut617

Thanks Fred, also you can see that the shape of the gussets have a different profile where they're glued to the sponson to the side that glues to the A310 fuselage.

The final fit was achieved by sanding the new mating surface by a bit of pipe wrapped in sandpaper. Conveniently, the OD of a 2 1/2" nominal bore pipe is only fractionally smaller than the A310 fuselage diameter, once I wrapped the sandpaper around it, it was bang on for size.

zenrat

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 22, 2020, 12:04:41 PM
Thanks Fred, also you can see that the shape of the gussets have a different profile where they're glued to the sponson to the side that glues to the A310 fuselage.

Of course.  We wouldn't want it to be easy would we... :-\
Fred