Marconi Avionics' other FASS concepts

Started by kitnut617, August 14, 2020, 07:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Great work especially the attention to detail  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

I've been doing a bit off and on and worked out some cross-sectional shapes to add to the lower forward fuselage. On the left is where the A310 and A400 fuselages are connected, on the right is the shape about 10mm behind of the rear end of the dome. The others are spaced out between the two.

These are done on paper, but before I transfer the shapes to styrene I wanted to make sure things look right when the whole fuselage is put together. So I've assembled and glued the A310 fuselage together.

And then I cut the nose off.

And this is what it looks like now with the A400 nose in place.

And this is what it looks like when I temporarily attach the domes to either end. I've still got a lot of working out of cross-section additions for the rear dome to do though. But it's gradually taking shape ---

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

Gondor

That dosen't look very doable at the back end. How abut sticking a coule of Phased Aray panels on the rear fuselage instead?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

That is an idea but I'm building it as it is shown in the advert.

I cropped this image off the bottom of the advert so I could insert it into my drawing.

I also have a whole series of frame cross-sections I can use too, which are like this which is the cross-section through the point where I've cut the two forward fuselages. It's actually for an A330 but I've been told the fuselage ends are very similar. I've got all the frame cross-sections from nose to tail.

kitnut617

For this concept, I fairly sure the plan was to build totally new front and rear ends so the domes could be built into it as one fuselage, instead of the scabbed on ones you see in Chris Gibson's book, 'The Air Staff and the AEW'

The Wooksta!

Does anyone do the Nimrod radomes in 144th?  I'm tempted to graft them onto a VC10 for the AEW proposal. 

Really, I'd like to do it in 72nd, but VC10s are both BIG and expensive, plus the two I have are already allocated to RW RAF ones.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Harro does 1/144 3D printed ones Lee, I think they're about 16 Euros

kitnut617

For the rear dome I'll just do what I've done for the front. I'll make a keel for the bottom that follows the profile in the sideview. The cross-sections will run from completely round where it joins the fuselage and transition into an ellipse where it attaches to the dome.

Here's one of the cross-sections through the A330/310 rear fuselage I'll use. The flat sides you see here is the tail plane interface but instead of it slimming down as it goes to the rear, it will have to get bigger as it goes towards the dome. The tail plane will have to be revised to suit.

Hobbes

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 31, 2020, 01:06:19 PM
Does anyone do the Nimrod radomes in 144th?  I'm tempted to graft them onto a VC10 for the AEW proposal. 

Really, I'd like to do it in 72nd, but VC10s are both BIG and expensive, plus the two I have are already allocated to RW RAF ones.

Yes:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/8EH2F8ZN8/fass-domes?optionId=149049060&li=shops

The Wooksta!

Ta, I'll keep it in mind as IIRC I've an Airfix one kicking about somewhere.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

McColm

Quote from: Scotaidh on August 17, 2020, 12:46:21 AM
Quote from: Martin H on August 16, 2020, 11:53:16 PM
I was always taken by the C-130 version for years and always wanted to build it.

Then along came the Cammet Nimrod conversion............................

I want to do that to a Victor ... has it been done by anyone?
You mean something like this.

Or the Airfix kit that I'm working on.

McColm

Quote from: McColm on August 17, 2020, 04:01:54 AM
I'm sure that the Cammett set would fit nicely with the Convair B-36 or RB-36. :banghead:
It does

McColm

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 17, 2020, 08:17:41 AM
Quote from: Martin H on August 16, 2020, 11:53:16 PM
I was always taken by the C-130 version for years and always wanted to build it.

Then along came the Cammet Nimrod conversion............................

I've always been impressed by that build Martin, the C-130 and C160 are on my 'to-do' list as I work through the various aircraft in the advert. But I'm torn between building the Sherpa this way or building it OOB. If only I could find another one ---
It works on the Revell C-160