DONE @p.2 +++ "Object 511", a potential ZSU-23-4 successor, early 80ies

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 26, 2020, 12:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I am really  liking this Thomas, I  think  this would  work very well  in service  with the cartel  theme I used to build, tagging along with the  insurgents.  :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

buzzbomb

Really, really well done. :wub:

Again the backstory is immense and thoroughly worked through. Wait for this to appear in World of Tanks somewhere ;D

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: chrisonord on September 07, 2020, 11:41:48 AM
(...) I  think  this would  work very well  in service  with the cartel  theme I used to build, tagging along with the  insurgents.  :thumbsup:

Maybe someone sold the plans to China, and copies of the weapon found their way on other chassis' to South America?  ;D

Quote from: buzzbomb
Again the backstory is immense and thoroughly worked through. Wait for this to appear in World of Tanks somewhere

Well, I had very good sources (and time) at hand, and "designing" an SPAAG is not a trivial task. There are many elements to consider, like the chassis, the weapon, the radar system, the crew, and everything has to fit. I tried to integrate all this in the model as well as the corresponding background - both part of my creative process.

Nevertheless, I am curious where the model might pop up, too!

ChernayaAkula

Lovely build!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 06, 2020, 11:57:11 PM
<...>Having become obsolete, the sole Object 511 prototype was retired in 1981 and mothballed. It is today part of the Military Technical Museum collection at Ivanovskaya, near Moscow, even though not part of the public exhibition and in a rather derelict state, waiting for restoration and eventual display. <...>

Thought this was a nice conclusion to the back story.  :thumbsup: Quite fitting for a Prototypes GB.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

jcf

Very nice.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By 47mm I'm assuming you're referencing the big Hotchkiss revolving cannon,
called the 3-pdr in US service. The largest built was a 53mm version.

37mm used as an anti-aircraft gun WWI.

Here's an animation of the 37mm (1-pdr.) version showing the action of the
mechanism.

https://youtu.be/GkOP8Lwdmgg