ZSU-30R - Life Extension for Shilka Platform - Done !

Started by buzzbomb, September 03, 2020, 11:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

With a due nod for the inspiration to get this started to Dizzyfugu on with his build proposal in the Prototypes GB https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48293.0

I have been cleaning out my attic area and three odd days ago fossicked out this old Dragon ZSU-27 Shilka and the equally old Dragon BRDM 2 Gaskin  into the "Should I stay or should I go" (thanks to The Clash) pile.

Clearly in their pre-loved state, could not bear to bin them, so went to work on the Dragon Shilka of a number of years ago.
 I must have glued it together with Clag, because the tracks were self destructing and all the bits came of suspiciously easy.
Dug out the Rotary Cannon that did not make another build and bluetack on, that was enough for me to proceed as it looked ok. Then tried some Strela's from the BRDM to sort of keep
the timeline consistent.

Some enlargement of the ammo hoppers and other bits still to come. Could be a quick build though because it is really not getting a too major make over.

Of course had to try this

I reckon there is room for a bit of ridiculous.. so this might get a run as well.

Dizzyfugu

buzzbomb

Now I feel embarrassed :-\
Must have been a logical next step :thumbsup:
I have already made a couple of slight changes to the Missile mount plan, so hopefully have a couple of sessions to power it home.

NARSES2

I can see that BRDM AAA conversion operating somewhere on the African continent in reality
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Those ZSU 23s get everywhere.

pinterest

But this is the one which interests me.  The Iranian ZSU-6.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/iran_iranian_army_light_heavy_weapons_uk/zu-23-6_six_cannons_23mm_anti-aircraft_gun_technical_data_sheet_specifications_pictures_video.html
I'd like to see one on a (big) technical.

And finally, possibly slightly OTT is the (also Iranian) MesBah-1.  Four ZUS-2s on a single mount with radar guidance.

https://www.russiadefence.net/t4940p175-iran-air-defense-systems
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I'd just like to know how long that ZSU-6's ammunition supply would last ??
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 05, 2020, 06:26:44 AM
It'd be fun while it lasted...

I have visions of a rather dazed and deafened crew standing there simply staring into space when the smoke clears  ;)

buzzbomb

Progress! On a roll this weekend. Not doing the model I should be doing, but then.. that happens.
Fleshed out the Turret some more. Added some etch that was hanging around filling up a drawer

Only downer is I am short some track links, so this might end up in mud on a base if I cannot find enough to get by.
Not that interested to cast any up either.

Like Narses.. I was wondering about the teeny tiny ammo boxes. Not very many RRR in the BRRRRT with those containers.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: buzzbomb on September 05, 2020, 08:50:59 PM

Like Narses.. I was wondering about the teeny tiny ammo boxes. Not very many RRR in the BRRRRT with those containers.

Tow some larger ones behind on a trailer.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: buzzbomb on September 05, 2020, 08:50:59 PM
...I am short some track links, so this might end up in mud on a base if I cannot find enough to get by.
Not that interested to cast any up either...

Leave them out of the top run and knock up some deeper mudguards to hide the gap.
Fred

Old Wombat

As I said on BtS: Deep snow in a Winter camo scheme. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

That's looking great.  :thumbsup:

The missile launcher comes vaguely close to the Ukrainian update of the Shilka (even though it has the launcher on top, not in a recess in the turret).

buzzbomb

Thanks Team.  Dizz, there is an Indian Army Version as well, which uses what appears to be the same Strela Containers as I have, but mounted differently.

Anyway.. done.
Thanks for the suggestions around the track situation. After much harrumphhing, wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, I busted out my terribly out of date rubber and resin and made some 3rd grade castings of some track. Pretty ordinary, but will stand up to a casual glance

So for better or worse, here it is
First stage Paint work.. when it was going to be green.

Then on a whim made it Finnish, using the 3 Tone Splinter scheme. Well sort of.

All in all quite enjoyed the build