And now for something slightly different...!

Started by albeback, September 05, 2020, 02:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

A little something I have been working on for a reverse Cold War collection. Tupolev TU-30 Drakon. Joint development by BAC and, the Tupolev Design Bureau for a long range interceptor.Based on the Airfix 1/48 TSR 2. Everything on the model was ready to hand.No extras purchased
Outer wings - salvaged from AMT KC-135.
Nose cone - 1/32 drop tank from Revell Mirage IIIE
Underwing tanks - same source. These were the 500l size,. Scale in nicely
Wing fences added to disguise a very obvious join
Missile pylons - spares box. Wing tank pylons from Revell 1/48 Tornado
Whizzbangs! -well, I wanted some mean and nasty missiles but, my spares box has little in the way of Soviet ordnance so, I raided my Hasegawa weapons sets for items not likely to use elsewhwere. A little cosmetic surgery later....!
Gun pod is actually an Eduard resin item I got as an extra (set of two) with a kit I bought on ebay.
Although not very obvious from the admittedly average photos (taken using my phone), the heat staining on the hot end was done using metallic eye shadow pigments! I got three sets at ASDA for the princely total sum of £8.25. 18 shades to choose from and, a whole heap cheaper than proprietary modelling products.
Need to add some stencilling but, I'm calling it done for now. The neat little Dragon insignia was one of two types provided on the Revell TU-22.
decal sheet.thumbnail2 by Allan Ford, on Flickr[imthumbnail4 by Allan Ford, on Flickr
g][/img]thumbnail3 by Allan Ford, on Flickr[/url]1 by Allan Ford, on Flickrmg]
thumbnail by Allan Ford, on Flickr
1 by Allan Ford, on Flickr
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Scotaidh

I like it!  A lot!  :)  At first glance I thought you'd put swing-wings on it, but this works very well, too.  :) 

Good work, sir - I salute you!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Excellent.
TSR2s make for great Soviet aircraft.  And you are right about the wing fences, a very handy way to disguise a join.  Is that why so many Soviet aircraft have them?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

And for the final touch of authenticity, 'Soviet Green' wheels!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I LOVE it!  :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Very cool, I  saw this  on Facebook  the other day and was very impressed  when I saw it. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

albeback

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 05, 2020, 04:21:36 AM
And for the final touch of authenticity, 'Soviet Green' wheels!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I LOVE it!  :wub:

Couldn't forget the green wheels👍😂

albeback

Thank you everybody for the kind comments. I really enjoyed this build and, unlike its 1/72 counterpart, this kit is a delight to build.
Only real fit issues were around the intakes and lower wing /fuselage joint.
I'd like to see this reissued because I simply won't pay silly ebay prices.
Future projects to include :
Firestreak/Red Top equipped MiG-19.
Russian Navy Buccaneer
RAF or French Tu-142 MR/MPA.
"Sand and Stone" finished Antonov An-22
Luftwaffe Antonov An-12
and,the piece de resistance, Kriegsmarine Beriev Bartini VVA-14
Going to be a busy winter....!  :rolleyes: :lol:

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 05, 2020, 03:37:01 AM
I like it!  A lot!  :)  At first glance I thought you'd put swing-wings on it,

My first thoughts as well. It certainly works this way, very well done  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 05, 2020, 04:21:36 AM
And for the final touch of authenticity, 'Soviet Green' wheels!

Yup  ;D Is it a fact that that was because they were all made at the same tractor plant ? Or is that simply misinformation ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Surely you would spread production around a number of different tractor factories so your aircraft production couldn't be crippled by one bombing raid?

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

kitbasher

Looks great - please don't take this the wrong way - far too handsome to be a Soviet design!

In fact it looks like a giant Tornado F.3 with its wings unswept.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 05, 2020, 06:24:32 AM
Surely you would spread production around a number of different tractor factories so your aircraft production couldn't be crippled by one bombing raid?

Which is why I asked. Back in the 70's it was a "fact" that was always being bandied about and took on a lot of credence. Just wondered if it was something that took a hold simple because of the number of times it was repeated ? One of those joke comments that takes on a life of its own ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I reckon they just got the decimal point in the wrong place on the order form, and ordered it in ZILLIONS of litres instead of millions, and then they just had to use it up somehow.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Comrades, once written in an official party specification and stamped by the relevant committee and counterstamped in triplicate and filed in the archive then it cannot easilly be undone.
Easier to just keep painting them green.
Fred

comrade harps

Love it  :wub:

Always thought the TSR.2's nose looked too small. You've rectified that historical error!  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2020, 06:36:01 AM

One of those joke comments that takes on a life of its own ?
[/quote]

Probably by Mr Spackman to divert attention away from the PR.19.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter