BRDM-2 23-4 "Flail" - Done !

Started by buzzbomb, September 05, 2020, 08:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

In my ZSU thread I sort of mentioned that this might be worth a tilt.

Curiosity got the better of me, so rummaged around and found an old Modern Luchs turret and did a bit of surgury

Hmmm OK

But we need Ammo storage, lots and lots of storage, so added large boxes around the turret. Then asked myself how do you aim this thing. So retrieved the BRDM Gaskin compartment from the bin and worked that in. For better or worse.

Then tried this.. .uhhh ohhh... this look ok as well, plus probably more practical. Don't have a spare BTR but who knows, sometime later there maybe a turret swap. ;D

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Looks good.

The ZSUs on the Shilkas had water cooled barrels so you would need room for all the associated tanks, heat exchangers, and pumps in the turret as well.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That does look good  :thumbsup:

Would it need jacks to steady it when firing ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on September 06, 2020, 02:47:20 AM
Looks good.

The ZSUs on the Shilkas had water cooled barrels so you would need room for all the associated tanks, heat exchangers, and pumps in the turret as well.
You mean like this  ;D Along with the necessary operator ingress/egress hatch as the BRDM-2 has notoriously difficult access.

lets ignore the fact that the turret can prevent the front hatches from opening as well. Out of scope mod to lengthen the vehicle. :lol:

Thats about it..
Robin, to the Paintshop !!!

Old Wombat

Like Dizzy's Lena, it's a prototype & the turret is turned 45o for front crew access, an issue to be rectified on production models. ;)

She's looking good, BT! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

Nice, that's looking really good.  :thumbsup:

BTW - some contextual inspiration...

There are not only aggressor aircraft in US use - there are also tanks, like these M551/Shilka lookalikes.  :angel:

And then I found THIS, too...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

The name "Flail" made me think about mine clearing.

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

zenrat

It appears the have been extended at the rear and none of the pictures i've looked at have that hatch on the side of the hull.

Fred

PR19_Kit

That's for the driver, or he'd bang his head on all those gun-like things sticking out of the turret.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I have a book with a load of those vehicles and aircraft  in, Sheridan tanks were used for a few of the conversions. I will  dig the book out tomorrow if I get chance.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!