Mirage F.1

Started by Zen, January 22, 2005, 02:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

There was a program to fit the Mirage with an RD-33?  Interesting, might have to do a model of that...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

ChernayaAkula

Not only a program, but they also built a flying prototype. Haven't read anything on the performance, though.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

Quote from: Sauragnmon on October 04, 2008, 11:46:29 AM
There was a program to fit the Mirage with an RD-33?  Interesting, might have to do a model of that...

Here you go - some pics:

See here for some more info on the Super Mirage F.1 program.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

How about a kit bash involving the old Fujimi 1/48th (actually 1/50th) scale Mirage IIIR and the Mirage F.1?  Cut the nose off the Fujimi kit and make it fit on the Mirage F.1 to create the rarely if ever seen Mirage F.1R :^)  I am certain it would fool a few folks if placed on the display table. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

What about a STOL F.1 with lift jets behind the pilot to allow super short take-offs (though not VTOL):

regards,

Greg

Shasper

Based on the twin stick?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

Archibald

Quote from: GTX on December 12, 2008, 09:55:39 PM
What about a STOL F.1 with lift jets behind the pilot to allow super shot take-offs (though not VTOL):

regards,

Greg

Turbomeca would provide the lift-jets (licence-built RB-189?) I like your concept!
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Bryan H.

The Texas military had a similar idea to the South Africans...

Quote from: Bryan H. on June 27, 2008, 01:16:02 PM
The Texas Army Air Corps has been a long-term user of Dassault products and (as is it's national defense policy) has built the Mirage F.1 under license.  In Texan service, the Mirage F.1, built by General Dynamics, (Texas designation F-9 Mirage 2) was used as a multi-role light fighter.  With its rough and primitive airfields capability, ease of maintenance, good performance (payload, speed, range, multi-role capability and diversity of missions); the Mirage F.1 had been found particularly useful in "colonial"  and other "primitive" settings.  In the early '90's, the TX Dept of War had decided that the best replacement for an old Mirage F.1 was a new manufacture, updated Mirage F.1.  The latest incarnation of the Mirage F.1, the Texas Army Air Corps F/A-9E Mirage 2 Plus, incorporates a number of improvements.  The late production Mirages most notably have new high-performance PW1120 engines (13,550 lb st dry) vs. the old Atar 9K (11,023 lb st dry), a lightweight modified version of the APG-73 radar, a strike camera – giving (limited) photo-reconnaissance capability, improved ECM & IRCM, a FLIR/laser ranging turret, a wider range of armament options and a number of other improvements. 

:cheers:, Happy Modeling & Merry Christmas, Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

Sauragnmon

Damn, that is a sexy beast, Bryan.  Very cool.  Enhanced nose, new engine, looks very cool indeed.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Archibald

great, great, GREAT!!!!  :bow:
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

GTX

Given the Mirage F.1 was a direct competitor to the F-16, what if the Mirage F1M-53 (Mirage F.1 with SNECMA M-53 engine) had beat the F-16 in the "deal of the century" and been selected by Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, and Norway and then gone on to be selected by other F-16 users.  We could then see F.1s in the colours of:

• Belgium,
  • Denmark,
  • The Netherlands,
  • Norway, and
  • Any other F-16 users

Also, I wonder if the F.1 would have continued to be developed further in lieu of the Mirage 2000?

BTW, this was the Mirage F1-53:

Will look to produce a line drawing shortly.

Regards,

Greg

Weaver

Since we didn't have a credible fighter to sell at the time, the British response was to propose the Mirage F1M-53 for the fighter requirement, and the Jaguar for the strike requirement. That is to say, we were pushing a deal with less technical risk than the French one (because the Jag was already in sevice while the F1M-53 was developmental), with a better strike component, and one where the French got 75% of the work!

Needless to say (given M.Dassault's attitude to most things collaborative) the French rejected this and pushed for an all-F1 buy, which then failed........ :banghead:

That could have seen Jags in those four nation's colours as well as the F.1s. You could also envisage Norway and Denmark going for the maritime strike Jag with Penguin and Harpoon/Sea Eagle respectively.....:wub:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Would anybody like to guess what I've got planned for the VERY near future  :rolleyes:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on December 20, 2008, 06:39:40 AM
Would anybody like to guess what I've got planned for the VERY near future  :rolleyes:

Tidy your desk??? :cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/