Mirage F.1

Started by Zen, January 22, 2005, 02:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Crossing between Mirage F1 and 2000. Subtle but beautiful. IMO :thumbsup:

Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

EuroFighter + Mirage F1.

Weaver

Quote from: ysi_maniac on December 31, 2021, 01:03:20 PM
Crossing between Mirage F1 and 2000. Subtle but beautiful. IMO :thumbsup:

I like the notion of an F.1 scaled up by 10-15% and fitted with an M-53 (scale up to avoid the real F.1-M-53's bulged rear fuselage) and fitted with a Mirage 2000-style cockpit and nose, thus allowing for a decent sized radar.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

What if Kfir were done over Mirage F1?

Zero-Sen

ysi_maniac

In this case, whiffery affects only to weapons: RW Mirage F1 never carried those missiles.

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: ysi_maniac on February 23, 2022, 06:22:04 AM
In this case, whiffery affects only to weapons: RW Mirage F1 never carried those missiles.

it did, in Area 88  :mellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFgPvN9jPUI
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

glorious.tachikoma

Quote from: ysi_maniac on February 23, 2022, 06:22:04 AM

After looking at cross-section drawings of the F1, it does appear that if one were building new airframes, the provisions could be made for two conformal/recessed AIM-7 mounting points a'la F-4 Phantom. Cannon pack kind of gets in the way and maaaybe the alternators on the 9K50.

Dizzyfugu

I like the idea of the Kfir-ized F.1 - but doing this stunt in hardware form would require tremendous body work, esp. for the tail section. The idea is charming, though.

glorious.tachikoma

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 23, 2022, 05:33:42 AM
I like the idea of the Kfir-ized F.1 - but doing this stunt in hardware form would require tremendous body work, esp. for the tail section. The idea is charming, though.

Well, Kfir-ized in hypothetical IRL function, or in appearance?

For function, the closest would be a Special-Hobby 1:72 Mirage-F1AZ and a F104 exhaust nozzle kit (early if lazy, late if not). The Mirage F1AZ's nose was certainly looks the Kfir part and made it a very effective strike platform. There was plenty of room in the fuselage and the intakes are bigger than the Kfir, so a hypothetical new-build Mirage F1 with a J79 under the hood isn't a farfetched idea.
-Doing this idea in 1:48 is more involved, but the Kinetic Kfir gives you 2x of both nose styles and the Kfir nose, with a little bit of spacing apart at the base fits the F1's decently enough to be able to blend.

For appearance, I'm comparing the Italscary 1:48 F1 and the Kinetic Kfir dry-fitted fuselages on my model bench and it appears the kfir's rudder will graft onto the F1's fuselage without much drama.

glorious.tachikoma

As a follow-on to my prior post, I'm sharing these pics more just to show what these shapes look like in plastic. My modeling is at this point more...mocking-up visual aids for my own daydreams of an alternate reality. So thats why these are here instead of the progress section, since these may never see paint and decals lol.

This is the Italscary (ESCI) 1/48 Mirage F-1 wearing the Kinetic Kfir nose. The nose was glued together with a bit of styrene spacer, filled in with UV putty, and then I sawed out a space for a scratchbuilt well for the F1AZ retracting IFR probe the ESCI kit came with. On the underside, some universal PE chaff/flare buckets were added in.

This is an adaptation of a part I made to go on the Kinetic Mirage-IIIE. The reconnaissance nose was cut and used as a base to glue the front cone of a Kinetic F-16 370gal wing tank onto. Perspective makes it look more bulbous than it really is, but this gives an idea of how the Mirage-F1 would look if say...modified to have something like the ELTA-2032 mounted.

Zero-Sen

ysi_maniac

Before Eurofighter project, the Spanish government was not happy with the "captive client" policy practiced by Marcel Dassault; they was also not happy with the prior authorization by the US government to be able to use weapons of US origin. So... what if they brazenly decided to reverse engineer the Mirage F1, F-18 and the J79 engine to produce an indigenous fighter?

Here you see the Casa-AFX. :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

Dassault Frankenstein Fighter